Facebook Ultimate - MS, but register on main page

I see a few topics discussing the Ultimate Facebook on Multisite, but all seems to refer to using it individually on sub blogs.

How do I get this to work on subsites, but making sure that registrations take place on the main site?

So basically have the Connect button positioned all over the blog network, but registrations dont happen on the subblog, but rather the main site?

Thanks.

• georgef
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Will try and get this thread going again before opening a new one...

That plugin didnt do any good to my site.

I do see that the new Ultimate FB has shortcodes. Is there a way to use those short codes on subblogs so that registration still takes place on the main site and NOT on the subblogs?

• georgef

Thanks Phil. Hm, little confused on this one...

THought you were registrations taking place on the actual sub blogs when you mentioned this above:

Hmm this is actually standard WP behaviour rather than anything else I believe.

I tried the short code after adding a fucntion in my theme on a test blog but doesn't seem to do anything.

Anything else that needs to be added to the short code or should it work just 'straight up'?

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Ah sorry I think I may have mis-understood your original post. When I said that I thought you were saying you wanted registrations to take place on the main site.... so I'm thinking that's not the case?

You want registrations on the sub-site?

Let me know...

Phil

• georgef

Hey Phil, yes yes, that IS what I meant you were right. I do want all registrations to take place on the main site.

Sorry, cant remember the default bp / wp behaviour on multisite as I asked a developer a long time ago to change the register links on sub sites to point to the main site.

I'm sure it use to point to subsites by default...

Anyway, that's what I'm trying to do for sure, get the fb shortcodes to work on subsites so that registration takes place on the main site and NOT the sub site.

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hmm.... in my testing this afternoon I'm noticing that when network activating Ultimate Facebook user/blog registrations are taking place on the sub-site rather than the main site.

Here's how I have things set up:
    * WordPress Multisite - Subdomains
    * Both User/Blog Registrations are enabled

* Ultimate Facebook Network Activated
    * Extended Permissions for Facebook are granted
    * Allow users to register with facebook, force users to register with facebook, and allow single-click registration are all checked.
    * Network options - override individual blog settings and preserver individual blog API settings both checked and then clicked save.

Now, when I go to subsite.domain.com and attempt to sign up I get the facebook registration stuff. Sign in and it asks me to create a blog while I'm at it. Doing so tells me it created a username and new blog for me. The new blog is at:
    newblog.subsite.domain.com (which isn't expected)

Additionally the blog shows in the network admin as 'newblog.subsite' though the dashboard link is broken.

As well the user wasn't actually created. A look in my php error logs shows that the username already existed in my wp_users table - as I tested with a facebook account that I've already used on this site, but the plugin should probably give some sort of message on the front end that the user has already registered previously.

George, can you confirm your settings for the Facebook Connect and Network Options within the Ultimate Facebook plugin - and your multisite setup. We'll try to get this sorted. Thanks!

• georgef

Hmm.... in my testing this afternoon I'm noticing that when network activating Ultimate Facebook user/blog registrations are taking place on the sub-site rather than the main site.

Yep, same thing.

Here's my settings:

* WordPress Multisite - Subdomains
    * Both User/Blog Registrations are enabled
    * Ultimate Facebook Network Activated
    * Extended Permissions for Facebook are granted
    * Allow users to register with Facebook UNCHECKED (not sure about that being right)
    * Force users to register with Facebook CHECKED
    * Allow single click registrations CHECKED
    * Do not show captcha CHECKED
    * Override individual blog settings UNCHECKED (not sure about that being right)
    * Do not allow per-blog settings UNCHECKED (not sure about this one either)

Looking at your settings, it seems I must make a few adjustments where mentioned.

Going to give that a shot now and get back to you, would really like to get it working.

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hmm... I haven't tested with Genesis Framework. I was only testing the new signup capability so haven't looked at the shortcodes either.

Are you wanting to have one Facebook app across the entire install or allow each of your sub-sites to create their own facebook app?

Thanks!

• georgef

Are you wanting to have one Facebook app across the entire install or allow each of your sub-sites to create their own facebook app?

Yes for the first part. One Facebook app across the entire install cant be touched or edited by anyone.

I'm then setting up one child theme for the free blogs which I want to place the fb login widget on (that's where the shortcode comes in)

So blog network, one fb app placed on all subblogs that always registers on the main site.

Sounds pretty cool hey? :slight_smile: so now to get it workin...

Changed some of my settings to yours, so FB settings are blocked across all sites.

Guess the easiest test would be to get the shortcode working on the subblogs to see what it does.

ALthough the shortcode doesnt seem to initiate.

I've tried a hook and in the widget (which apparently is supposed to work)

So I'm guessing the shortcode doesn't detect the fb settings across the subblogs or something (or not setup that way yet)

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya George,

Playing around with this plugin today and setting up the network so that all sub-sites must use the network settings and shortcodes and comments appears to be working well. Both are working fine on sub-sites and using the Network settings.

Widgets aren't showing on sub-sites, but I'm not sure if they should be (will check into that).

Do you have Allow sub-sites to use these credentials? Checked under Facebook API Settings in the plugin?

Thanks

• georgef

Do you have Allow sub-sites to use these credentials? Checked under Facebook API Settings in the plugin?

Yes I do.

How do you have it working on the sub sites though? Do you just send them to your /register page?

I want to get the fb connect button positioned on the subsites so if that's what you have, would love to know how you did it.

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya,

How do you have it working on the sub sites though? Do you just send them to your /register page?

On sub-sites, users an 'log in' through facebook connect which just pulls up the facebook login pop up. Logging in just redirects you back to the same page on the sub-site. This is all done by using the connect shortcode.

Is it not working this way for you then?

• georgef

Yes I am, well I'm getting started with it, havent installed their connect plugin yet, but busy designing the sub blog. Maybe that's why it hasn't worked yet.

I definitely need to do more testing on my behalf before I can say where the problem lies. I'll update this thread as soon as I've exhausted all other solutions thanks! :slight_smile:

• georgef

OK, just tested the short code throughout my main BP theme which doesnt work, so definitely not a Genesis issue.

Although the shortcode is not the main issue in this thread (or maybe it relates somehow that its not working sitewide for me?) But will definitely help to test how the registration is happening on the entire site.

I tried to add the shortcode in a page as well as with the do_shortcode function in my template, but no luck yet.

Anything else to add or that I can check? thanks again.

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya George,

What happens exactly? Is the shortcode just printed in the post/page? Just confirm which shortcode as well. I've tested both [wdfb_like_button] and [wdfb_connect] on sub-sites and haven't seen any issues. They both work correctly.

If our Ultimate Facebook settings are largely the same (and I think they are) then there's gotta be something else that's different (stating the obvious, I know). So, let's take a step back. What versions of WordPress/BuddyPress are you running? Verify the latest version of Ultimate Facebook?

Anything in the PHP error logs? And is it printing the shortcode itself in the post/page?

Thanks. We'll get to the bottom of this!

• georgef

Yes, shortcode is just printed on the page. I used [wdfb_connect].

I have disabled it just for now. My developer moved my error logs around, but I will find it and dig in there to see if I can find something.

I'll keep you posted thanks again.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.