Failed installation for Snapshot Pro

I just tried to install Snapshot Pro through the WPMUDEV Dashboard. It says it installed fine but when I next tried to activate it through the Dashboard my site crashed. First, in the admin, I received a 500 Internal Server error. When I clicked out of that error message, I went out of the WPMUDEV dashboard and into the WP admin plugin page and found that the Snapshot Pro plugin was not there. I checked the front end of the site and it had crashed, displaying only the logo and an error message about PHP memory limit being reached. Why would that happen on the installation/activation of a plugin? Is the plugin that big?

I went into my FTP and deleted the Snapshot plugin which thankfully restored the site. But I would like to see if I can still successfully use this plugin.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Yvonne,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

The Snapshot Pro plugin itself is not that big but it's not only the plugin that consumes memory resources. There's also a WordPress core, the theme and most likely some other plugins and that all adds up partially.

That being said, it's highly probable that your WordPress install (by default) is limited to 40 or 64M of RAM memory which is in fact very low amount. Since you already have a "WPMU DEV Dashboard" plugin installed please follow these steps:

1. Go to "WPMU DEV -> Support" page in site's dashboard
    2. Click on "System Info" button
    3. Switch to "PHP" tab
    4. note down the value (most likely 256M) in "memory_limit" line
    5. access your WP install via FTP
    6. add following line to the "wp-config.php" file:

define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT','256M');

The line should be placed above the "/* That's all, stop editing..." line. Please replace the 256M value with the value that you noted in step 4 above.

Once this line is added, please clear all caches (on site if there's any caching plugin such as e.g. W3 Total Cache and in browser) and give Snapshot another try.

Let me know if it helped!

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.