Failed Signups & Emails - Membership Selection Infinite Loop

* I have completed the WPMUDEV troubleshooting chart.
* I have deactivated & reactivated all plugins including Membership 2 Pro.
* Cache has been cleared from all browser attempts
* WP Rocket cache cleared and is deactivated
* Cloudflare cache cleared and deactivated

I am using Gravity Forms & User Registration plugin, along with custom code from WPMUDEV support, in functions.php, to pass the data from the custom GF signup form to WP user registration & Membership 2 Pro. This has worked without a problem for months of testing.

The following issues did not occur prior to upgrading to Membership 2 Pro.

ISSUE #1: Cannot Get a New Member Signed Up

During the signup process, a person gets to the available memberships page and selects a membership either paid or free trial.

They are then taken to the final signup page that has the text:
"Please check the details of the membership below and click on the relevant button to complete the signup."

Upon clicking "signup" they are taken back to the available memberships page...infinite loop.

They are, however, added to WP users & recorded in Gravity Forms.

This issue occurs in all modes, Test & Live.

ISSUE #2 Email Failures

Prior to Issue #1, a new member received the account overview email & the new user login credentials email. Now, no email is sent to the new signup at all. However, admin receives email with all the new signup's info.

Support Access is ON.

Thanks,
Don

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Don,

I've tested your site just now (one you give support access) and got to the 5 step registration, after that I was on page with lists of memberships, after clicking "Signup" I was redirected to payment page. I did not make the payment.
    But after I clicked second membership "FREE 3 Months" there was a payment button. I believe this is because the first membership in the list on "Complete details" page has total price of "Free".

Yes, I've got only one mail from mailchimp but not from site. However I can't replicate this issue on my lab site.

Do you remember if anything changed before it stopped working? It was maybe WordPress update?

I will consult this issue with the plugin developer to have his opinion, why this could happen.

Kind regards,
    Kasia
    Kind regards,
    Kasia

• Don

Hi Kasia,

Thank you for your effort.

The problem arose after we were automatically downgraded from Membership 2 Pro to the free version. See notes at the bottom of this message.

I just now deleted all memberships.
    I then created one membership.
    That membership is a monthly subscription, but it has a free 30-day trial.

When trying to sign up for the membership, and after the user registration portion of the process, we come to that single available membership. I chose that and then was taken to the next page that asks you to be sure this is what you want, and I clicked the "signup" button. I was then taken to a page that listed the membership again, but now had a "complete payment" button. That is totally confusing to anybody, because it's a free 30-day trial, after which you enter your credit card to begin the recurring payments. Also, that "complete payment" button never used to appear. Anyway, I clicked the "complete payment" button and was taken back to the available memberships page...infinite loop again.

I have attached screenshots of the membership config pages, as well as the signup process. Please note the pages named, 1, 2, 3, 4. Those are the order in which this "infinite loop" issue occurs. If I click "signup" on the "Join Membership" (screenshot #4) it takes me back to the "Monthly Payment" (screenshot #3) and now I have the option to cancel!!!

We were on Membership 2 Pro. A week ago or more, I noticed that we were suddenly on the free version. Support said we were downgraded, because I had turned off the Dashboard plugin while I was troubleshooting another error. I was not warned that would happen. I then had to delete the Membership 2 plugin, download & install the Membership 2 Pro plugin. All our settings and memberships carried over fine.

This week, we returned to testing, and I discovered this recent issue. Before the downgrade/upgrade event, the signup process was working fine and the user registration email and account overview email were both sent properly.

I realize this issue was not caused by you personally, but as far as I can tell, it is due to either the automatic downgrading of Membership 2 Pro, or it is due to a problem with reactivating Membership 2 Pro. I hadn't made any other changes.

Personally, I don't care if it's an error on the side of WPMUDEV or myself; I just need a solution quickly, because we were at the end of beta testing and on a rollout deadline with an advertising campaign that costs a lot of money; this issue now puts us in jeopardy of missing our deadline and forfeiting our advertising.

I'm really sorry to drop this bomb in your lap, but any thoughts from you or others is deeply appreciated.

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Don,

Thank you for detailed explanation. I tried to replicate this issue on my site, following your steps - with "upgrading" to free Membership and then deleting and re-installing Membership 2 Pro, but I was still able to signup to any of my memberships with trial, no trial, there was no infinite loops like on your site.

However I just have thread with similar issue where problem was in the theme conflict. It's not the same theme that you use and this is long shot, but I would like to be sure that I'm not missing anything. If this possible could you switch to 2015 WordPress themes?

Also, there was problem with the process of the registration and this if hot fix https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/redirection-to-paypal-website-not-working#post-954012 - could you also try this one?

If non of this will help, I will flag plugin developer to check this issue.

Kind regards,
    Kasia

• Don

Hi Kasia,

Thanks so much for your efforts.

The hot fix code fixed my issue of the membership signup infinite loop.

That said, as long as I use the theme I have been using (iThemes Air-HEARhelp), the signup process via Gravity Forms User Registration, and the membership selection work fine. If I switch to the WP 2015 theme, the signup process works up to the point where you select a membership; then I get a blank Register page.

The next problem, after a successful user registration and membership plan selection, is that the user registration email is still not being sent.

Considering that the hot fix code was created in response to a failing signup process brought on by upgrading to Membership 2 Pro, I wonder if somehow my email issue is related to my upgrading to Membership 2 Pro? I say this, because prior to upgrading to Membership 2 Pro, the emails were sent out without issue.

I do appreciate any help.

Support Access is on.
    The WP 2015 is active. Feel free to switch back to my iThemes theme: "Air - HEARhelp"

Thanks,
    Don

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.