Failed to Send Preview but send test email in outgoing settings

Hello I recently updated a multisite account with cloner, and now I am having a sending problem with enewsletter.

After creating a newsletter and sending preview, I get a failure message "Failed to send test email! Make sure that entered email is correct and also check outgoing email settings."
I know my email address is entered correctly, and when I check outgoing settings the test connection sends a test mail just fine. Any suggestions? Thanks!

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hey @Lou,

Hope you're doing well today :slight_smile:

Can you please elaborate this part a bit more:

Hello I recently updated a multisite account with cloner, and now I am having a sending problem with enewsletter.

Did you clone one of your sites using our Cloner plugin and the e-Newsletter is not working on that new cloned site?

Can you also try upgrading your e-Newsletter plugin to latest version and see if there are any improvements after that?

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Lou
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

This is definitely happening on every site that I have cloned with the cloner plugin. I checked the database to make sure all of the enewsletter outgoing mail settings were correct and they are. the passwords did not match but I assume it has something to do with this - ( For security, saved password lenght does not match preview )

• Lou

I seem to be having the same issue when creating new sites using the new blog templates plugin. I also see that there is an update available for cloner, but I don't think that it will fix the sites I have already cloned.....so if anyone has any idea what I might be able to do to fix this it would be very greatly appreciated. I am using upfront theme and all of the plugins being used are WPMU DEV plugins except for gravity forms. Support access is also active. I could really use some help getting these plugin issues sorted. Thanks.

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hey Lou,

I've let myself access your site via support access and look around a bit.

After I've updated and network-activated the "Cloner" plugin I made to attempts to clone site: 1st - one of the subsites, 2nd - your main site.

Both attempts were successful in terms of setting up a site but as for newsletter - I've noticed that there's a need to adjust outgoing emails configuration each time. This means that after the site is cloned you may want to go to the new site's Newsletter settings and setup all the e-mail credentials.

As Newsletter on your network is configured to use SMTP there's no way it would send e-mails without SMTP server configuration (including proper e-mail address, login, password and port). I suppose that the preview e-mail might be sent here via standard php mail() function and that's why it's working.

That said, the fact that Cloner doesn't copy SMTP Newsletter settings isn't actually that bad because in most cases Multisite means allowing other people access to your network and it prevents them from sending e-mails in your name as well as lets them create their own newsletters.

However, if I'm missing something here, please let me know and I'll look further!

Cheers,
    Adam

• Lou

Adam Thanks for looking at this. However you seem to be misunderstanding my situation. I have cloned the settings from one existing site (test) to another existing site (housingguru) as recommended here - https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/can-i-add-new-blog-template-to-an-existing-site#post-873131

Cloner did not clone the enewsletter settings, they stayed the same. After realizing the problem I did deactivate enewsletter then reactivate enewsletter and then reenter the outgoing mail settings. After that the problem was the same. If you check the existing site housingguru and test connection in the outgoing mail settings the test emails are successful, however if you try to send a preview of a newsletter it fails, and if you try to send a newsletter it fails.

I don't think the SMTP settings are the problem, it is a much more serious issue.

enewsletter is not network activated - it is activated on a site by site basis. All of the sites that are giving me trouble have all of the correct SMTP settings.

I should also add that the main site is using the same smtp settings and sends mail just fine.

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hey Lou,

Thanks for this explanation! I think I get this now :slight_smile:

I've accessed your site again and tested Newsletter on "housingguru" site and I can see that although it successfully passed the "Test connection" test it didn't send the preview e-mail.

That being said, I too doubt that's the SMTP issue but have you tried switching to PHP Mail or WP Mail just to test this?

Also, could you please add these two lines to your wp-config.php file:

define( 'WP_DEBUG', true );
    define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );

Once this is done, please test both "Test connection" and "Send preview" a few times. The "debug.log" file should appear in your /wp-content/ folder. Could you please share it with me then?

If there's an error.log file in your site's root folder on the server, it would be also great to take a look inside.

Thanks,
    Adam

• Lou

@Adam Thank you so much for taking the time to help out! I never even thought about using debug.
    After enabling it I get a new error message when I send preview --

<b>Notice</b>: Array to string conversion in <b> /wp-content/plugins/e-newsletter/email-newsletter-files/class.functions.php</b> on line <b>1153</b>
    Failed to send test email! Make sure that entered email is correct and also check outgoing email settings.

There was no error log. Here is my debug log. Thanks Again!

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hey Lou,

Thanks for sharing this.

I took a look at plugin's code and to make the issue even more complicated: this error means that there's an error regarding... saving an error message. However, there's a hope :slight_smile:

Could you please take another look at your server and share this file with me?

/wp-content/plugins/e-newsletter/email-newsletter-files/debug.log

I'm sorry I didn't ask you before, I just thought that the main WordPress log will be of help here.

Thanks,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hey Lou,

This is less fortunate, obviously. I tried to replicate this on my sandbox but wasn't able to. I think it's time to call for "heavy guns" here and ask our 2nd-level support team for help.

That being said, I've already filled a report and hopefully they'll be able to come up with a solution here. Please note though that their response time may be a bit longer than ours here on forum as they have to deal with a lot of complex issues on daily basis.

Please keep an eye on this thread for further updates and information.

Cheers,
    Adam

• Lou

I got this sorted, turned out the issue was with SES settings, nothing to do with the site or any of WPMU DEV plugins. Everything is working great now, the plugins are amazing. Thanks for the help and sorry to waste any ones time.

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hey Lou,

Thanks for letting me know I it's great that's working now! I admit I'm also happy that it turned out that the culprit here was not our plugin :slight_smile:

However, I apologize once again for the delay on our side which is due to the slight overload caused by holiday season :slight_smile:

Kind regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.