Failed Wordpress Upgrade - site crashes

I seem to be having trouble with upgrading wordpress on only one of our many websites. I routinely do upgrades as they become available and it is simple for all the sites except this one at:
http://www.dentalclinic.com.ph/

We have other .ph wordpress sites that do not have this problem.

When the site goes down after upgrading wordpress, this is the message shown:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function get_option() in /home/smiles/public_html/wp-admin/admin.php on line 32

After the site goes down, I do a manual upgrade. It is especially important to prevent this site from going down because this site belongs to one of our clients. Is there a setting or something that can be done to prevent the crash without doing a manual upgrade? A setting perhaps?

• aecnu

Greetings Sean,

Thank you for this great question and input into this subject.

The error you are giving:
    Fatal error: Call to undefined function get_option() in /home/smiles/public_html/wp-admin/admin.php on line 32

Usually indicates something is missing. Line 32 looks like this:

if ( get_option('db_upgraded') ) {
    	flush_rewrite_rules();
    	update_option( 'db_upgraded',  false );

Which indicates to me that it may be a database permissions problem or something related to the upgrading of the database itself.

So the next thing I would check into is if the user for this web sites related database has permissions set to "all"

If that is indeed the case, then I would ssh into the database files and see who the files are owned by, or more accurately phrased who the server says the files are owned by.

Also you may want to check that this particular site has enough space allocated so if the possibility for the database upgrade is to be done but there is not enough space then this is most certainly the issue.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.