Failing to load resources

Hi all,

This is a continuation from a previous ticket.

As a recap, I am running a multisite environment with Pro Sites and New Blog Templates. My preferred setup was to have users register, and also, create a free site on a subdomain where BuddyPress is installed.

The problem I was encountering with that setup, however, was that all new sites created were usersite.subdomain.mysite.com. Apart from being ugly/long, I was also encountering an issue with my wildcard SSL certificate. Basically, since sites weren't subdomains of my main site, they were insecure and getting thrown the appropriate warnings.

I resolved this by using the Multi-Domains plugin. As such, sites are now being created with my preferred path usersite.mysite.com, however, it seems to be resulting in certain paths/URLs being broken on the new sites. This seems to be coming from New Blog Templates, though, it was working before installing Multi-Domains, so its likely the interplay between both.

I thought some users might find this helpful, knowing that new sites can be created from subdomains in this manner, yet, I do need to resolve the new issue. I should note that it's specific to media types, and that, only some, but not all media isn't being passed correctly.

Here is the error:

Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 404 (HTTP/2.0 404)

I'd greatly appreciate some assistance and offer my thanks in advance.

• Tyler Postle

Hey Stephen,

I'm just waiting for my second domain to propagate so I can test Multi-Domains with New Blog Templates. Do you mind granting support access so I can see how you have the templates and everything setup? I'll try to replicate it close as possible for the test :slight_smile:

You can grant support access via WPMU DEV > Support > Grant Support Access.

http://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Talk to you soon!

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Tyler Postle

Hey Stephen,

I've been looking further into this and I'm thinking it might actually be a timeout or memory issue with your server when copying the blog template to the new site because all the links and everything look to be correct but the images aren't loading which makes me think that the images aren't in the folders at all.

Can you take a look and see if any of the broken images are actually in your subsite media folders? You can also check your server error log too and see if it produced any timeout/memory errors.

If the images are there and it's just not loading them still then could you send in FTP so we can have a closer look?

You can send that privately through our contact form: https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question

Send in:

Subject: "Attn: Tyler Postle"
    -WordPress admin username
    -WordPress admin password
    -login url
    -FTP credentials (host/username/password)
    -link back to this thread for reference
    -any other relevant urls

**If you keep support access active then no need to send in wp-admin

Look forward to hearing back!

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Stephen

Hi Tyler,

I've dug a bit further into this myself. As you mentioned, all the links were correct, but when I looked into the sites upload folder, nothing had been created.

That being said, I've tested the creation of two new sites on my production site, and one, on my staging site with different selections and the like, all three worked fine.

Not sure what happened in that first test, I suppose it was an isolated issue. I'll let you and the community know if there are any further hiccups but it doesn't look like there will be.

As such, if anyone is looking for success with a similar setup to my own, that being, allowing users to register and create new sites from a subdomain of a multisite network with Pro Sites (with a free trial configuration,) using Multi-Domains seems to do the trick with regards to resolving new sites to usersite.mysite.com, as opposed to, usersite.mysubdomain.mysite.com, which is the typical and expected behaviour.

If anyone would like to read more on that you can see the thread that led to this current setup here.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.