Dealing with previously spammed IP addresses in Anti-Splog

On the 23:d march the following users where marked as spam with 100%
certainty (I had to edit out the addresses on this forum, so please pm me or something so I can send you the actual addresses in order to look at your logs);

x@x.com
x@x.com
x@x.com

None of them where spam, but all came from the same IP. At the same
time;

x@x.com
x@x.com
x@x.com

Also registered, but I see no trace at all at my blog. Maybe you
aromatically just refuses everything from one IP when you have decided
its spam, I dont know.

Anyway, 100% seems not like a good figure. All of the above addresses
are government addresses here in Sweden. Ok, they might have typed a
"no-no" word, maybe have a miss-configured e-mail server, but it cant
be 100%. 100% means that you are SURE its spam, thats a big difference
from you expect its probably spam.

Now my users starts to ask why so many things are caught as false
positives, what am I going to say? My users are either teachers or
students. They all register in hordes from the same IP during class
hour, so when its wrong many users and the class time suffer.

Will you incorporate some sort of fine-gradient score system or
should I expect the score mechanism to stay the same?

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hiya!

First off, can you verify whether or not these users posted any content?

My first thought is that the content they posted was flagged as spam.

The other possibility is that the fact they all came from the same IP address in very quick succession could have triggered them to be marked as spam.

That's usually a decent indicator of splog setup although it is of course possible they were all human submissions.

Phil

• Aaron
    • CTO

If enough confirmed spam came from an IP that will give a score of 100 at signup.

Note that when a blog is spammed at signup, it's not really "spammed". To the user the text shows it as "suspicious" and requiring the extra signup step of manual approval by an admin.

Note if you had spammed some blogs from that IP previously which caused your issue, the act of "unspamming" them will teach our system so you shouldn't have the issue again. Unspams are worth far more in the scoring.

• skolbloggen
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Ok, I might at some time sliped and marked something from that IP as spam, to much is happening from day to day for me to remember. I hope then that the issue goes away when I unspam false positives then.

Thanks for the help!

Ps: I have noted recently some spamers these days actually take their time to write and complain and asks to be unspamed, even though its 100% sure they are actually spaming. Its not enough they steal my computer resources, they make me install defense systems and keep me busy with having everything running, now they waste my time also by crying when they get cough! unbelievable, spamers are the lowest life-form on earth...

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.