Fatal error activating BP Group Calendar

Hi all

I am running a Buddypress install with a few plugins. The php.ini is set to 128MB (by the hosting company) but Group Calendar keeps returning a Fatal Error (memory exhausted) when I try and activate it.

I have tried creating a php.ini file and including it in the root directory of the site, with memory of 256M; I have also tried amending the wp-config with 256M and the .htaccess file.

I have tried deactivating two other plugins, Wordfence and Snapshot, that I believed would be more memory intensive than the Group Calendar, but the error still occurs.

The only solution is now to pay more with the hosting to upgrade beyond 128M.

But before I do, please can you tell me – does it seem right that BP Group Calendar is so memory intensive? More memory intensive than Wordfence and Snapshot combined?

It feels to me that there is an error here, so please let me know before I pay to upgrade and find that doesn’t help.

Many thanks

Rob

• aristath
    • Recruit

Hello there @robert, I hope you’re well today!

The BuddyPress Calendar plugin itself is not so resources-hungry, it’s the sum of your active plugins that surpasses the limit of your server.

What other plugins do you have active?

BuddyPress itself is THE most demanding WordPress plugin… Try disabling the BP features you’re not using (for example messaging if you don’t need it) and then try again.

Cheers,

Ari.

• Robert
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hi Ari

Thanks for the quick response.

Interesting that Buddypress is so resource hungry. Unfortunately, all the BP functions are required, so I guess I am going to have to live with that.

However, I have also uploaded your Events+ plugin instead of Group Calendar and that has worked fine.

I am not using a caching plugin, and I can’t imagine the other plugins are heavy resource users.

I think it is strange that even when I deactivate Wordfence and Snapshot that BP Group Calendar can’t work. Surely it can’t be more resource heavy than both of these two, especially when you say that it doesn’t use much. Is it possible that there is a conflict with another plugin?

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.