Fatal error: Call to undefined function is_user_logged_in()

My multisite has been working fine for the pas few days, but now it returns this error each time I try to open one of the subsites: Fatal error: Call to undefined function is_user_logged_in() in /home/xxxxxxxx/public_html/wp-content/plugins/pro-sites/pro-sites.php on line 1799

When I disable Pro Sites I'm able to load the subsites.

I searched your archives but couldn't find any references to this particular error.

I also posted this through our dashboard and have enabled support access.

Any thoughts on how to resolve this one?

Thanks.

Bob

• Michael Bissett
    • Recruit

Hey bob85, Michael here!

I see what you're talking about over on your Multisite, but I've been unable to reproduce this over on mine. We've had a couple of other members bring this up (unfortunately, without further feedback from them, so we're lacking the details as to what might be triggering this), so it seems like bringing the developer into this isn't too far off.

Before we do that, though, may I ask if you've tried disabling the other plugins on your site via FTP (except for Pro Sites), and seeing if you're able to access subsites then?

Please advise,
    Michael

• bob85
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Michael,

I guess not. I removed all plugins and the problem went away. Then I put them back one at a time. It failed again when I put WordPress SEO back. I removed it and the problem stopped.

Next I put everything back except WordPress SEO and it continued to work. Finally I put WordPress SEO back and the error did not return.

I though I found the problem but it doesn't seem to be the case.

Bob

• Michael Bissett
    • Recruit

Hey @bob85,

Are you still testing out plugin combinations? Could've thought that I saw Yoast SEO network activated when I was last in your site, I'm not seeing it there now.

I hadn't gone to your site's Plugins page, in case you did still have some plugins deactivated via FTP (since visiting that page while you've disabled the plugin via FTP would disable it in your site's database).

In the meantime, I've tried network activating Yoast SEO on my own Multisite network, but haven't been able to reproduce the error. Seems like there's more to the situation.

Kind Regards,
    Michael

• bob85

Michael,

You're right, I screwed up.

I moved the plugins back into the folder without reactivating them in the DB. It was late and I went to bed.

This morning I reactivated WordPress SEO and the error did not come back. I'm going to reactivate them one at a time today and will let you know what I find.

Bob

• bob85

Michael,

OK, I found it. It was WP User Avatar 2.0.6.

I've had it in there for several weeks and it wasn't a problem. It must have just been updated.

Thanks for the help. Next time I'll be more thorough before I open a ticket.

Is there a good alternative to WP User Avatar for Multisite? I use it all the time on standalone sites but obviously it's not a good choice in this environment.

Thanks again.

Bob

• Christian
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Just wanted to chime in here also. So glad I checked here before I spent a ton of time troubleshooting!

I checked, and we were indeed running WP User Avatar. I deactivated WP User Avatar, and the problem immediately went away. I plan on implementing WPMU Avatars to replace, and I bet it'll run like a champ from there.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.