Fatal error generated by Defender

Got an email that Defender is causing a Fatal Error. The email goes something like this "Since WordPress 5.2 there is a built-in feature that detects when a plugin or theme causes a fatal error on your site, and notifies you with this automated email......"

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello Linda

I have logged on your site, browsed for some time but I don't find any error. I don't even see any error on the log.

Do you remember what exactly the error was? Or would you please post a screenshot of the email?

Also, if you get the same email again, would you please go to the following page immediately, download the log and send to us?

Have a nice day!

Cheers,
    Ash

• Linda
    • Mimi

I received another alert this morning.

Howdy!
    Since WordPress 5.2 there is a built-in feature that detects when a plugin or theme causes a fatal error on your site, and notifies you with this automated email.
    In this case, WordPress caught an error with one of your plugins, Defender Pro.
    First, visit your website (https://homesnackfoods.com/) and check for any visible issues. Next, visit the page where the error was caught (https://homesnackfoods.com/wp-cron.php?doing_wp_cron=1560416783.5130810737609863281250) and check for any visible issues.
    Please contact your host for assistance with investigating this issue further.
    If your site appears broken and you can't access your dashboard normally, WordPress now has a special "recovery mode". This lets you safely login to your dashboard and investigate further.
    https://homesnackfoods.com/wp-login.php?action=enter_recovery_mode&rm_token=qPN1PaWKmTmonyPlxSMvza&rm_key=eoCDWzLAk63B0MMvFnXoeK
    To keep your site safe, this link will expire in 1 day. Don't worry about that, though: a new link will be emailed to you if the error occurs again after it expires.
    Error Details
    =============
    An error of type E_ERROR was caused in line 77 of the file /var/web/site/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wp-defender/app/module/scan/component/token-utils.php. Error message: Allowed memory size of 268435456 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 123731976 bytes)

How do I download a log?

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi Linda,

An error of type E_ERROR was caused in line 77 of the file /var/web/site/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wp-defender/app/module/scan/component/token-utils.php. Error message: Allowed memory size of 268435456 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 123731976 bytes)

From the above-shared error log, the issue is more related to the website running out of its allocated memory resources. Most probably due to the Defender scan which scans the whole server for malware.

I have added the following rules to increase to the maximum memory resources available via the wp-config.php file, which should be:

define( 'WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '1000M' );
    define( 'WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT', '1000M' );

Please do check, and let us know whether you are able to replicate such issues again so that we could give a closer look if needed. Have a nice day ahead.

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

• Linda
    • Mimi

I received another Defender Pro alert. Here's the screenshot of the most recent email. I appreciate Nithin changing the memory limit, but the second and third emails point to a problem with files. Take a look and let me know what you figure out. I've deactivated and removed DefenderPro. I'll reinstall and see if that solves the problem.

• Linda
    • Mimi

Hello - I received another email alert today. Here's the screenshot. It appears to be a different animal than the ones before, but referencing Defender Pro. Thanks for updating my memory to avoid those issues. I don't understand why I'm having a conflict with Defender Pro. Can anyone help to explain? Thanks - Linda

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello Linda

The first error is still memory related error. One of your plugins or your theme is taking too much memory when defender scans the files. Either you need to increase your memory limit more than current or you have to run a conflict test. But as it's not easier to replicate, so it's better to have a sandbox site and there run the conflict test.

To run a conflict test, please deactivate all plugins except this one and check if the problem gone. If so, then enable all plugins one by one and find which one is having conflict. You need to do the same with themes as well.

You can find the flowchart here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/docs/getting-started/getting-support/#chapter-1

About the second error, this is related to hustle. I saw the error message on your screenshot, but that file doesn't exist on the plugin package. Where did you get that file? Do you have any custom development within the plugin?

If you are not sure, please delete the plugin and install it again using WPMU DEV Dashboard. This error should disappear.

Let us know how it goes. Have a nice day!

Cheers,
    Ash

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.