Fatal error in Buddypress, when using the Studio theme

Hi,

After several hours of trying to fix this issue, I'm admitting defeat and asking the experts for help!

Problem: 1. When I try to view a newly created a forum, the URL points mysitename/forums/forum/myforumname, but does not display any of the forum and just the surrounding page which is part of theme.

2. I've also tried going directly to the topic which has the above forum as its parent, but this returns the error message "Fatal error: Call to undefined function bb_get_id_from_slug() in /home/magicp01/public_html/wp-content/plugins/buddypress/bp-forums/bp-forums-functions.php on line 137"

I have tried many of the solutions in the forums which have included:
1. reinstalling everything (including WP!)
2. checked the file permissions (folders 755 files 644)
3. only installed buddypress (and bbpress as part of the BP setup)
4. looked inside bp-forums-functions.php and made sure that the forum and topic has a "slug" included incase this was causing the error.
5. set the theme to BP default, but this causes a blank page (all white space) to be displayed if either the forum or the tpic is viewed.

Versions: WP 3.3.1, BP 1.5.4, bbpress 2.0.2 running the Studio theme.

It's quite likely to be something I've setup incorrectly, but any help/guidance would greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Chris

Kimberly

Chris,

Hi and welcome to WPMU

Sorry you are having so much trouble! Let's see if we can't get you sorted out!

My first suggestion is to check you permalinks. If they are set to default you will need to make sure you change them, many wordpress plugins have issue with this default setting (which seems crazy to me, but hey, what can you do!). If you don't have the default set then try to re-set them just to be sure (simple as changing them to something different then changing it back).

Secondly, you can check your slugs. Some plugins behave badly when the slugs don't match the parent page name.

Let me know if any of this helps.

Best,

Kimberly

Chris

Hi Kimberly,

Many thanks for your warm welcome and quick response.

I have checked the permalinks (which were set to "day and name") and as suggested, changed to another format - "Post name". Unfortunately, this did not solve the issue - although I realise this was a long-shot.

I have updated the slugs to match the name of the page, but again, without avail.

Thank you again for your suggestion and I'll look forward to any further help.

Chris

Chris

I've finally sorted the issue, which as I suspected, was a simple setup problem!

There is a conflict with Buddypress and bbpress for the names of the archive slugs. If these are changed to something else, then the forums and topics will work in Studio (and any other theme for that matter).

Due to this being a multi-site install, finding the settings took a little longer than had this been a single install, as the "settings" option can be found directly on the "plugins" page next to bbpress. On a multi-site install, the "settings" option is missing under "plugins"in the network admin dashboard and you will need to go into each of your sites (I've not yet worked out how to change this by default for hundreds or thousands of sites!) and look under settings>forum, where the archive slug names, along with error message of a conflict can then be changed and saved.