Fatal error: Out of memory ... any ideas?

Hi there,

I've just started seeing this message popping up at varions times while I'm in my admin area...
Fatal error: Out of memory (allocated 9175040) (tried to allocate 19456 bytes) in /home/#######/public_html/wp-includes/taxonomy.php on line 1537

The line number changes, so I can'r be any more specific I'm afraid.

This morning I logged on and it was in the dashboard area, in the Wordpress Blogs section.

Can anyone help at all?

Thanks

• Ovidiu

as far as I can see, the problem is here: Out of memory (allocated 9175040)

That number shows you your maximum memory and 9MB is not really suitable for anything...
    I have never heard of any host only allowing 9MB?
    Can you create a file called info.php in your website root folder and paste this code into it: <?php phpinfo(); ?> then open it in a browser and look for the line called: memory_limit and post the value here.
    This is just to check if it is indeed just 9MB.

I might be totally wrong since I remember that a naked wordpress install needs at least 32MB...

Besides that, can you check your error logs? Anything relevant in there?

• roobarb

Thanks for coming back to me, I've only just got the hosting company to shift me onto a VPS, so I'm going to be REALLY miffed if they've only given me 9megs.

I've got 2 WMPU sites on there, but neither has any additional blogs as yet... so they shouldn't be hefty.
    The VPS is 30G 20000G of traffic, 1.0Ghz dedicated CPU 1 CPU core and 512MB ram.

I must admit I don;t really know what I'm looking at - so heres the link to the line you asked for.... memory_limit 256M 256M

In the error log - I've been getting timeouts ever since the site was transfered, but its not always the same allocated figure...

[06-Mar-2012 19:17:15] PHP Fatal error: Out of memory (allocated 9961472) (tried to allocate 77824 bytes) in /home/########/public_html/wp-includes/class-http.php on line 184
    [06-Mar-2012 19:17:15] PHP Fatal error: Out of memory (allocated 12845056) (tried to allocate 41938 bytes) in /home/########/public_html/wp-settings.php on line 167
    [06-Mar-2012 20:40:40] PHP Fatal error: Out of memory (allocated 16515072) (tried to allocate 19456 bytes) in /home/########/public_html/wp-includes/default-widgets.php on line 492
    [06-Mar-2012 20:41:25] PHP Fatal error: Out of memory (allocated 12845056) (tried to allocate 77824 bytes) in /home/########/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wpmudev-updates/update-notifications.php on line 225
    [06-Mar-2012 20:46:56] PHP Fatal error: Out of memory (allocated 10747904) (tried to allocate 19456 bytes) in /home/########/public_html/wp-includes/ms-functions.php on line 252
    [07-Mar-2012 06:43:54] PHP Fatal error: Out of memory (allocated 20185088) (tried to allocate 311296 bytes) in /home/########/public_html/wp-content/plugins/gravityforms/form_display.php on line 1322
    [07-Mar-2012 06:43:54] PHP Fatal error: Out of memory (allocated 1835008) (tried to allocate 4864 bytes) in /home/########/public_html/wp-includes/pomo/streams.php on line 62
    [07-Mar-2012 06:46:36] PHP Fatal error: Out of memory (allocated 3932160) (tried to allocate 77824 bytes) in /home/########/public_html/wp-includes/query.php on line 2029
    [08-Mar-2012 07:29:38] PHP Fatal error: Out of memory (allocated 16252928) (tried to allocate 77824 bytes) in /home/########/public_html/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 1038
    [08-Mar-2012 16:47:03] PHP Fatal error: Out of memory (allocated 20185088) (tried to allocate 311296 bytes) in /home/########/public_html/wp-content/plugins/gravityforms/form_display.php on line 1322
    [08-Mar-2012 19:15:43] PHP Fatal error: Out of memory (allocated 12845056) (tried to allocate 77824 bytes) in /home/########/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wpmudev-updates/update-notifications.php on line 225
    [08-Mar-2012 19:17:01] PHP Fatal error: Out of memory (allocated 19922944) (tried to allocate 1245184 bytes) in /home/########/public_html/wp-content/themes/u-design/udesign_options_page.php on line 4069

I'm soooo lost here

• Ovidiu

this is really weird. from the link to the info file, I find this: memory_limit 256M 256M so that is more than enough but that clashes with the errors above saying something about 9MB - slightly confused :slight_frown:

There isn't anything wrong with your PHP config from what I can see so I see one options:

ask your host about the problem, show them your log files where it says 9MB and ask how that is possible since you have 256MB allocated

• 3SixtyEvolve

@roobarb
    Greetings from the WPMU DEV Support Team! Glad that you got sorted with your post - thanks to Ovidiu.

If you need further assistance with any other topic/ plugin, please don't hesitate to be in touch.

@Ovidiu
    Thank you for your great community support!

Good solid advice that I'm definitely bookmarking for future 'Out of Memory' problems. Thanks very much!

Have a great day, guys! Gina

I will resolve this thread, but please don't hesitate to reopen it if you still require additional feedback from our Support Team. Just select the 'Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (otherwise we might miss your new post).

• artroom

Hi. I'm hoping the OP or someone has an answer for this.
    I believe I am in a similar situation. I had several WP sites setup on a shared hosting account. I have since moved them to a VPS and they had various permissions issues. From research and talking to the hosting company, we believe that to be due to the fact the shared hosting was using suPHP but the VPS is set to DSO. However when changing the VPS to suPHP the old sites show blank pages and the logs have the error:
    PHP Fatal error: Out of memory (allocated 19660800) (tried to allocate 19456 bytes) in /home/xxxx/public_html/wp-includes/default-widgets.php on line 492

Any Wordpress sites I have created on the new VPS seem to operate fine in either mode however.
    I have 1gb of dedicated RAM on the VPS and the site has 384M according to my php.info

My host has said it is an issue with the site's code, but I don't understand why then it only affects the sites that were moved from the shared account to the VPS.

any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

• roobarb

Hi there Artroom,

Some feedback on my own issue might help here.

I also moved onto a VPS with 'what I thought' was enough oooomph to run the 2 wordpress sites I had on it. Now these were very simple, WPMU but with only the main blog set-up on them so nothing enormous.

I had the following set-up VPS 30G 20000G of traffic, 1.0Ghz dedicated CPU 1 CPU core and 512MB ram, and this was what the hosting company had to say...

Note that your VPS has 512MB RAM.

Note that around 300 MB of memory are used for the OS and cpanel and all the other default services which are running on the server. That leave you with 212MB free memory, which may not be enough depending what are you doing. The only options we can offer you are:

1. Upgrade to more powerful VPS

2. Contact some developer to optimize the content of your site.

The sites were nearly empty so optimising wasn't an issue, and generally I was gutted but realise now that all the other stuff (cpanel, OS etc) get first dibs on the VPS, and then wordpress gets whats left over.

I know I'm a newbie, but I really didn;t realise that - so the VPS that I thought was suffient just really wasn't.

In the end I moved back to shared hosting with a better (more helpful) hosting company and all is now well again.

Sorry I can't be more helpful, but I'm now spending much less than I was per month for the VPS, and getting a MUCH better result. :0)

• artroom

Hi roobarb, thanks for your feedback.

The fact that only transferred sites had the issue and not new sites led me to think it wasn't a lack of Ram in the server itself as I had 1gb of dedicated ram and 32gb available on the server.
    All the settings indicated WP and PHP had enough memory allocated to them, so I kept investigating, and came up with the Apache Memory Usage Restrictions within WHM.

Running this tool in WHM has solved my Internal Server Errors and PHP Fatal Errors and now allows me to run my VPS with suPHP as needed....yah!

Hope this may be of help to someone else in the same situation.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.