Fatal Error when I activate plugin…please help!

I installed Q&A plugin; checked my Permalinks (I am using /%postname% for Permalinks setting).

Inserted the Questions List widget into my sidebar and my site crashed with a fatal error:

Error Code: php_code_error:1:disappointed:home/elucia/public_html/blog/wp-content/plugins/qa/core/functions.php:24:Call to undefined function is_post_type_archive()

there is more to the error code referencing my server/directories but did not want to post.

the website is here: http://e-girlfriday.com

I am using WordPress 3.1., the theme is Builder core/Scooter Child Theme

I really want to use this plugin; any help greatly appreciated.

edit: I’ve de-activated and re-activated several times. The site crashes when I activate the plugin.

pps: do I need to set the Admin permissions? At one point I had checked ALL of the boxes in the Settings page, but I wonder if that was necessary? perhaps that caused the crash? I unchecked all of them (which I think is the Default)

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi elucia,

That’s very strange, that error usually comes up if you’re using anything less than WordPress 3.1. Are you sure that’s the version you’re on?

If at all possible, can you update to 3.2 to see if that fixes the issue?

Also, did the error only show up with the widget in use? Can you try to use the plugin without that widget loaded?

Cheers,

David

• elucia
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi David,

I JUST updated to 3.2 and that fixed the fatal error. woo hoo!

however, now, I am a bit confused…sorry!

how do I get the questions/ask page to display on an existing Page?? so far, this is what I have:

http://e-girlfriday.com/blog/questions/ask

but I would like for it to display on this page: http://e-girlfriday.com/blog/questionsask (I edited the Permalink for the page to “questions/ask” but that didn’t work). :slight_smile:

I’d like to display the question box as a Widget, but the Widget will only display a LIST of questions?

Lastly: in the Settings for this plugin: do I need to assign all of the Capabilities to the Administrator/User role, or is the Admin role defaulted for all capabilities?

thanks so much for your quick response!! LOVE the plugin…

• elucia
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi again, sorry to be a pain but I’d love to fix this issue and move on!

I’d love to be able to display this lovely plugin on a page here:

http://e-girlfriday.com/blog/ask-girl-friday

(note the page is different from the one listed in my previous post. I deleted that page and started over).

On the plugin’s installation page I see that there are instructions for integrating it into your theme. I am using Builder core/Scooter Child Theme.

Per your site’s installation instructions for this plugin, I copied the

“the php files from default-templates into your theme folder and start customizing.”

But I have no idea how to customize the php files. Are there any instructions for that?

Additionally, your page states

“If you want to disable the default plugin CSS, add the following line to your theme’s functions.php file:

add_theme_support( ‘qa_style’ ); “

Is that something I need to do in order to get the effect I want of displaying the Questions/Answers on my site page??

if yes, WHERE exactly in the functions.php file do I paste it?

I am a novice when it comes to php, so please forgive the simplistic questions!

if there is a CSS solution I’m up for that! :slight_smile:

thanks very much again for your help!!

• elucia
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

hellooooo??? is there anyone there to help me fix this please??

I’ve searched the forums, I’ve Googled, etc. etc. and I’m pretty sure only you guys can answer my question above.

I greatly appreciate your time and help!

Thank you!!

• James Farmer
    • CEO (of WPMU DEV, honest)

Hi Elucia,

Just checking if it was eventually resolved in another thread or not? Or by yourself separately to us?

If so, no need to reply, that’s great news.

If not, could you let us know by re-opening this topic, and we’ll get onto it and helping you out asap!

Otherwise, happy days, glad you got it sorted :slight_smile:

Cheers, James

• elucia
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

no; never was able to get an answer, or fix it myself in this thread.

gave up…

tried in another thread and was unsuccessful there, too.

did tons of searching in the database but unable to find the answer.

I even made the time to go to your live chat at the appointed time and that was unsuccessful.

really a bummer…your plugins are so cool. Would be great if there were more detailed styling instructions, etc. for the Q and A plugin.

thank you for following up 2 months later, but better late than never! :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.