Fatal error while activating the Ultimate Facebook plugin.

I just encountered this error while activating the Ultimate Facebook plugin:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 67108864 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 30720 bytes) in /home/s1008356/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wpmu-dev-facebook/lib/class_wdfb_model.php on line 39

Any suggestions on resolving this?

Thanks ... Michael

• MichaelScott
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

I logged out of WP-Admin account hoping that it would release the memory and allow me to activate the plugin, but my (WPMU Dev) dashboard now reports a similar problem:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 67108864 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 304378 bytes) in /home/s1008356/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 251

I've just found a post that should resolve the issue at http://ocaoimh.ie/2012/05/16/fatal-error-allowed-memory-size-of-67108864-bytes-exhausted/:

This happens quite a bit but it’s not a bug in WordPress or your new plugin or theme, you simply need to let PHP use more memory on your server. Thankfully WordPress makes it easy to do this. You must define a constant, WP_MEMORY_LIMIT in your server’s wp-config.php like this:

define(‘WP_MEMORY_LIMIT’, ’128M’);

The error message will give you an idea of how much memory is required. The error message says it tried to allocate 1203208 bytes or just over 1MB of memory. The limit here is 67108864 bytes, or 65536KB which is 64MB so here I’d need a WP_MEMORY_LIMIT of more than 66M. The error message will go away once PHP has enough memory but be sure to test it.

If you allocate too much memory your server could start eating into disk swap space. Also be aware that each Apache child process is allowed to use that much memory so if you had ten processes it could use ten times the memory limit in a worst case scenario. If that happens you’ll need more RAM or you’ll have to figure out what’s using so much memory.

I'll give this a go now ...

Thanks ... Michael

• MichaelScott
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hi Tom,

I've just found out for my hosting service that I'm presently limited to 96M of PHP memory.

I've installed the plugin that you've recommended and will monitor the memory usage.

Should I also reset the wp-config.php memory setting back to define(‘WP_MEMORY_LIMIT’, ’96M’), or should I remove the command from the file?

Thanks, and best regards ... Michael

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.