Fatal Memory Error when adding new site from Templates Blog Plugin

I am attempting to create a new site from "New Blog Templates" plugin. I have used the feature to create over 50 other blogs with no hitches. So it was working great and saving me a ton of time. Recently I have been getting the "Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 268435456 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 80 bytes) in /home2/blogchry/public_html/wp-includes/wp-db.php on line 1400" everytime I try to create a site based on a template.

Though it does not appear to create a new site, it actually does, but the site is the default generic site not a site based on a template. I have increased my php.ini memory all the way to 512M. it was lower but I have had to increase it over time to stop getting the error. I am SURE there is another issue at play but I do not know how to find the culprit or what effects trying to find the problem will have on the existing blogs. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Update: I just attempted to create a site without a template and I get the same error. . . So it is not specific to "Blog Template" plugin. I will try to search the forums as well. It seems like most the answers point to increasing the memory and I already have mine set at 512M (which is likely way to high).

My installed plugins include:
Add New Users
Admin Message
Blogs Directory
Google Analytics
Login Image
New Blog Templates
Page Links To
Rebranded Meta Widget
Remove WP Dashboard Widgets
Sitewide Privacy Options for WordPress Multisite
WPMU DEV Update Notifications
WP Super Cache

That is all of them.

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

You might want to take a peak @:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/general-hosting-server-question

Themes and plugins all add to your over heads, bloat is never a good thing, slim-line and simplicity is best.

It seems like most the answers point to increasing the memory and I already have mine set at 512M (which is likely way to high).

I don't know your set up, but 512M is not necessarily way to high as it depends on your install, what you are doing, how many sites you have which are active, plugins, themes, etc, etc.

That said, it is high for most installs. I often wonder what WP.org and EduBlogs have theirs set at..... :slight_smile:

• richslack
    • Flash Drive

Alright, I disabled every plugin one by one and tried to create a new blog after each plugin was disabled. When I got to the end of the list where every plugin was disabled I was still having the memory error. I also doubled my memory setting in php.ini.

What should I try next? I appreciate your help!

• richslack
    • Flash Drive

I just contacted Bluehost and they said the max memory I was allocated was 256mb. So that may be part of my problem. Any recommendations on a good hosting company that makes it easy to move the site over?

I am sure there is a bigger issue at play but I am unsure how to hunt it down.

• archomole
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hello
    I am experiencing a similar issue, I have spent hours scouring through the web for solution and also talked with live chat with rackspace.
    in wp-config
    define( 'WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '512M' );
    in htaccess
    php_value memory_limit 512M

I get the following error when i try to create a new site with blog template plugin.
    Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 268435456 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 80 bytes) in /mnt/stor3-wc2-dfw1/500755/xxxx/web/content/wp-includes/wp-db.php on line 1405

The error shows that it still limited to 256M, Rackspace is telling me that wordpress is limiting the memory even though I increase memory to 512M.

I need help urgently, i have spent countless hours trying to fix issue

Best

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

Archomole, its always best to start a new thread for your own issues other wise they could be missed. If its relevant to another thread like this one is then just link to it.

So Rackspace say your PHP memory limit is 512M?

You can check by creating a php file, something like info.php with the following content:

<?php
    phpinfo();
    ?>

Then upload it to your website, load it in your browser and look for the memory limit, you should find the memory_limit in there.

This will confirm whether it is or not.

• richslack
    • Flash Drive

So I just got the following message from Bluehost which continues to point to a bigger problem.

"It has come to our attention that your site is using an excessive amount of MySQL resources on your BlueHost.Com account. This is causing performance problems on your website as well as for other customers that are on this server. It can cause our servers to crash and cause additional downtime.

Our research shows that server performance degrades when the MySQL usage is over 1,000 tables and/or 3 GB on a single account or 1,000 tables and/or 2 GB on a single database. In order to ensure optimal performance for your account and the others in your shared hosting environment, we request that you reduce the MySQL usage on your account to under these limits in 14 days.

Your account information:
    Total MySQL Database Size: 102.52 MB
    Total MySQL Tables: 1038

We do understand that these databases may be old or unused. There are programs/scripts that will create these automatically.
    After removing some of the MySQL content you may request a rescan of the account. If you need assistance with removing content or to help troubleshoot the reason for this problem we will be happy to assist you in this process."

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.