FB Login only works second time around. + couple of Q's please! :)

Hello,

Hope you're all well!

I am trying out the Ultimate Facebook plugin for the first time. My site is very basic at this stage using a 960gs layout and with only one other plugin enabled which is the Membership plugin.

I have a few questions / issues to query you on if I may:

1) When a user registers/logs in for the first time using the 'Log in with Facebook' button (which I have on my site using the shortcode), it pops up saying what info it needs from the users FB profile. I only want it to pull their name, email and profile photo, and not their events calendar, and other profile info as I believe this may put people off using this feature. Can this be controlled?

2) Most times I try and register/log in, either with a fresh FB user, or one that has already signed up, it takes a couple of attempts to log on, with the page just refreshing and going back to the sites homepage. This happens even when I enter a FB username and password. But then the second or third time it will log in fine without asking for log in details.

3) Is there a way to link up the Membership registration plugin and UFB plugin so they work together. I will open another thread in the membership plugin forum as I have a question about that too :slight_smile:

4) I notice in IE there is an error. Not sure if this is due to my set up or what, or if its causing the above problems but details below:

Webpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/4.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; InfoPath.2; .NET4.0C)
Timestamp: Fri, 16 Dec 2011 18:25:22 UTC

Message: 'FB.XD.resolveRelation(...).FB.XD' is null or not an object
Line: 12
Char: 3251
Code: 0
URI: http://connect.facebook.net/en_GB/all.js?ver=3.3

[URL edited per request]

Thanks for any help!

• ffdltd
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

RE #3 As I have set the the default registered user to be a free member, so the integration between UFB and Membership seems to work. I just logged on with a fresh user via FB and is says I am a member of the site, so all good on that one! :smiley:

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi ffdltd,

1) When a user registers/logs in for the first time using the 'Log in with Facebook' button (which I have on my site using the shortcode), it pops up saying what info it needs from the users FB profile. I only want it to pull their name, email and profile photo, and not their events calendar, and other profile info as I believe this may put people off using this feature. Can this be controlled?

I know there was a change a ways back surrounding the permissions and I thought it had to do with the options you've selected or items you've enabled through the plugin.

Just to check on that, do you by any chance have the Facebook Events widget enabled here?
    yourdomain.com/wp-admin/admin.php?page=wdfb_widgets

2) Most times I try and register/log in, either with a fresh FB user, or one that has already signed up, it takes a couple of attempts to log on, with the page just refreshing and going back to the sites homepage. This happens even when I enter a FB username and password. But then the second or third time it will log in fine without asking for log in details.

I can see what you're referring to, and I'm not seeing any errors reported in the console in Chrome. I'll ask the developer to have a look here.

4) I notice in IE there is an error. Not sure if this is due to my set up or what, or if its causing the above problems but details below:

There's mention of that error in the following over at stackoverflow:
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4521805/facebook-connect-javascript-error-in-ie8

It seems possibly having to do with javascript debugging turned on. Would that be the case in your testing?

I tried in IE9 and while I did get an error popup, closing the dialog window, everything seemed to work fine from there. I'll ask if the developer can shed a bit of light on that.

-David

• ffdltd
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hi. Thanks a lot for your help.

I have tried with the update and it is much improved and has logged me in every time. However, I have just asked my friend to log in on his PC for the first time and after allowing the permissions to connect it displayed the loading bar, then just went back to the same screen without being logged in. On the second and third attempt (with permissions already accepted) it logged in straight away.

I will try with some other people and again with myself with a fresh FB account.

Cheers.

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya,

As we haven't heard back from you we're going to assume the problem was sorted out and mark this ticket as resolved.

If it wasn't resolved, or you have any more questions related to this thread please feel free to post them below and tick the 'Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (or else we'll miss it!)

Otherwise, thanks for using the forums, and for being a member of WPMU DEV, it's a pleasure to help you out and we look forward to being of assistance in the future.

Thanks

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.