FB's change in API for remote access

I've been doing some research on the comments that several have made here regarding FB's change in their API. I'm part of a FB Developer's group and everyone in that group has not heard of this yet, so I'm doing some of the research on it to help them and us.

I've gone to FB's development roadmap and the only reference I can find is this one that is set to start on May 2, 2012 and take full effect July 5, 2012:

"offline_access Permission Removal
The offline_access permission is deprecated and will be removed July 5, 2012. Until then, you can turn this change on or off using the "Remove offline_access permission" migration. On May 2, 2012, we will automatically turn the migration to "enabled" for all apps. If this breaks your app, you can turn the migration back to "disabled" until July 5, 2012 when it will be permanently "enabled" for all apps. Please see the Removal of offline_access Permission doc for more details."

Is this where everyone is getting the information that remote apps will no longer be able to post to Facebook? If so, let me know. If now, please let me know where (in FB's documentation) that you are getting that information. That will help us in the developer group research it and potentially develop a method around the issue. They can't work on what they've not seen as an issue.

BTW, in the last two weeks, FB DID have an issue with remote posting, but as of a couple or three days ago, they have marked the issue as resolved. Don't know if that was contributing to our issues with Ultimate Facebook or not.

• aecnu

Greetings JDD,

Thank you for your feedback it is greatly appreciated.

My information about the API that I got came straight from the lead developer of Ultimate Facebook and put into the article I wrote:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/since-i-upgrade-can-not-post-to-face-book?replies=12#post-220963

On the very same day I spoke with him and at the time had him check it for accuracy.

Of course even the dates for final shutoff have changed since that time and obviously once again as you have indicated.

Though not directly related, this is why I personally hate third party involvement i.e. Facebook etc. Because we get slammed with issues when in fact the issue is on the third parties end and there is nothing we can do about it which includes bugs within WordPress itself, or hosting issues etc. but we take the heat for their incompetency.

Anyway I am leaving this ticket open for further comments/input and once again JDD thank you for the information and feedback.

Cheers, Joe

• James Dunn

Thanks Joe.

Is there any way that you can get the lead developer to get me some definitive FB documentation on that, because the FB Developers that I'm talking with say that our info here is not entirely accurate. According to what I'm being told, "Instead of requesting offline access, you're now supposed to use long-term tokens. It takes a little getting used to, but it works."

However, the two developers that I've been talking to today are asking where we are getting our information because they also want to be up to date and accurate and they (nor I) have seen anything come across the developer network "grapevine". It's rare that FB doesn't inform the developer network of changes, but it does happen (i.e. Timeline changes for business pages).

If someone has official documentation, we all are wanting to get our hands on it.

Thanks.

JDD

• paidinstyle

James, we are dealing with a huge problem now..

Facebook login simply stopped working yesterday morning but all was perfect before..

facebook says that all bugs are gone as of 4 days ago but this happened on our live site and sister site about to launch at the same time.....

are you able to facebook connect?

are you getting a word fb popup saying you need to OK to login and that your logged in already and no action after at all?

take a look if you like paidinstyle.com...

maybe we can help each other and devs if we all work together on it...

in our case, another day of this and we got some HUGE PROBLEMS with a site that took allot of work and is very active going up, up, up and now down, down, down by the hour...

we have over 200 members registered via facebook connect who all depend on daily use of our network and i am simply sitting here clueless and have no idea how this will be fixed as we don't have another 24 hours to wait..
    we are already getting allot of negativity over this from supporters ....

i don't blame anyone as i see its due to the api change but i also see other sites working fine with facebook connect and ours worked fine during all the problems and stopped after the problems where supposedly fixed as announced by facebook 3-4 days ago and even confirmed by JOE here but it stopped working 1 day ago in our case..

it's to confusing to understand...

how can a 3rd party solution bring an end to success we are tasting ??

I cant possibly calm down for a second until this is fixed, cant work, cant think...

all i can do is keep my community calm until they loose faith in us unless this is fixed right away and on top we have no one to blame so that makes it even worst...

guys please let us know what to do, how to make sure we don't FAIL over this....

• James Dunn

Good day Paidinstyle.

I don't use the Facebook Connect function of the plugin - never really had a use for it on any of my client's sites. Anyway, I might suggest as a test to try this plugin instead: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-facebook-connect/

See if it works to connect/login. If it does, then it might help to troubleshoot that your problem is related to Ultimate Facebook, but if it doesn't, then there might still be a FB bug (either reported or unreported). I checked a few moments ago and there are 866 unresolved issues listed in the developers portal - I personally would not read all those to try to find it, but I'm thinking it could be something in there. LOL

Wish I could be a little more help, but as I said, I don't work with FB connect.

JDD

• aecnu

Greetings JDD,

Thank you for your continued feedback, it is greatly appreciated.

Imagine that, Facebook with 866 unresolved issues but at the same time they are not dealing with 300 plugins and themes not to mention all the end users different server configurations. Makes me happy to be working with WPMU Dev instead

Unfortunately though, they are causing issues for our members as well which does not please me at all.

Thanks again.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu

Greetings JDD,

It appears this particular topic is now resolved/closed, if you need any further assistance please let us know.

If it wasn't resolved, or you have any more questions related to this thread, please feel free to post them below including any new symptoms or errors and tick the 'Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (or else we'll miss it!)

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

Cheers, Joe