Feature request: Another field for variations

MarketPress is great, but there are a few tweaks that would be nice:

In variations of a product there is no way to have weight be a variation. Because of this, you must create separate pages for each product that is identical except for weight.

If the client is selling gates, and they come in both white and black, they can be on one page with the second color be the variation.

However, if a client sells a product whose only variation” affects weight (thus shipping) a separate page must be made. Example:

A client sells a product named “Dogzymes Probiotic Powder” and it comes in 8 oz, 1 pound, 2 pound, 5 pound, 10 pound, and 20 pound.

As MarketPress is currently, that is 6 product pages that must be created to sell a single product whose only difference is weight.

An upgrade that included weight as a variation would be VERY good.

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hey @bubbabob

Thanks for posting on the forums.

It sounds like a nice idea. I have moved this to the right category and have sent a note to our lead developer to see if it can make a good feature for future release of a plugin.

You already have my +1 on it :slight_smile:

Cheers

PC

Sales &Support

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

PC…it mwould probably be better as an improvement to MarketPress than as a separate plugin.

Indeed :slight_smile:

I wanted to say

a good feature for future release of the plugin.

:slight_smile:

Cheers

PC

Sales &Support

• Bob
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Ben…what is the “fill the gap” plugin, where do I get it, and have you used it and know it does the job well without creating conflicts?

I hate junking up a site with more plugins than necessary, but since its becoming more and more obvious this is not a priority with the developer I suppose I’ll have to find another solution. Users don’t seem to be a priority on this.

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hey there @ben

Thanks for your post. Sorry for the delay here. I was not well and was away from work for a few days.

Can you kindly link Bob to the thread where you saw the code written by someone as I am not able to find that.

Bob, I totally understand that however this is something which is on the list for future development. There are a few other projects which have taken priority over this feature as our lead developer is busy with a major release, a WPMU DEV Theme project which is under testing at the moment. Once that is released, things will be back to normal and the new feature developments will continue as per the requirements and votes.

Cheers, PC

• Ben
    • The Incredible Smush

@pc and @bob

The plugin can be found here for review:

http://mpvariations.com/

But after talking with him, he is unable to get the code to work as a standalone plugin, however he is able to get it to work by taking his code and directly modifying the marketplace plugin. So in an update to marketplace, his code would be lost.

Maybe you guys could give him a free member ship to this developer, because this functionality really should be standard stuff.

Also another great feature would be to be able to assign pics to the variations.

Here is another list of add on features that somebody else has created:

http://www.marketpressthemes.com/

Hope this help and I hope marketplace can start to gain some more features!

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Thanks for sharing that Ben,

I came across that plugin before but yeah that is not complete as a plugin.

MarketPressthemes.com has certainly done a lot of custom work around our MarketPress plugin. We are looking to add more features in our MarketPress plugin in near future.

Cheers, PC

• Bob
    • The Incredible Code Injector

I came across that plugin before but yeah that is not complete as a plugin.

I’m something of a Luddite, so be patient with me on this question…Does this mean it needs more work before it will do what I am looking for, that it will not work currently in conjunction with MP to do the variation actions I am looking for?

Or is DOES work, but you need to tweak MP code itself in order to make it work?

• be
    • WP Core Meltdown

hi @bob

Just wonder if you would take a look at this thread – (more relevant to the bottom)

re updates and core use and add your input..

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/if-marketpress-global-cart-doesnt-work-w-paypal-chained-payments-is-there-any-way-to-have-a-cart-travel-with-the-user-throughout-the-network-o

We have been told they are working on for version 3 –

see beta release for 2.9

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/well-as-promised-here-it-is-please-give-it-a-go-let-us

however some of us have been waiting a very long time for what we consider non “odd use” core items for an ecommerce plugin. (none of which are in the 2.9 release)

The problem with 3rd party is these folks go to great lengths and a lot of trouble with no assistance or validation from marketpress and it leaves all of us in a kind of limbo – Pay to belong here..

– Pay for 3rd party what should be core plugins.

– Every update these are issues leaving your live site in limbo with a poor customer experience

– When WPMU finally get round to integrating you have to start all over again with your products as they invariably do not use what the 3rd party plugin does..

Marketpress devs fail to embrace any addons created by 3rd parties

so what can you assume from that? = either they do not think they are well written or they will not function reliably.. or simply do not have the time to look them over..or are using the Microsoft force from the top down approach – we build it you use it never mind about what it is you are actually after …

As with the variations – even with all the trouble the 3rd party folks have taken to attempt to build (this means someone else has to REinvent the wheel every time) which is kind of futile..by finding how the core works then finding hooks etc etc..

It is in essence an inefficient way to hack what is claimed to be a fully functioning no need for any other add ons ecommerce solution..

when the devs do not use what has been created..and give comments as above – not complete as a plugin.. (taken from DEVs of the actual ecommerce plugin itself – read if they do not trust it, would/should you? apart form some other issues,has no graphic ability )

ie: the fantastic freebies by nathanonn who has thousands of marketpress users as members who CLEARLY NEED the 3rd party addons that have been created by nathanonn…

If folks do not make the point and simply keep leaving it will not change..

anyway – Best wishes… B

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hey there guys,

Sorry for the late response on this one.

We are constantly working on adding new features to the plugins especially MarketPress and we have also hired new developers to increase the workforce for all those much asked features and a few of them have already been included in the recent version.

Product variations is also one of those and our lead developer @jonathan is aware about that. I just can not provide an ETA on that to be honest.

We do listen to what our users want and its also discussed internally. Only features that are asked for on the forums are integrated into the plugins.

That said, I have sent a note to our lead developer @jonathan so that he can provide more info about the plans to add product variations to MarketPress :slight_smile:

Cheers, PC

• Jonathan
    • The Bug Hunter

Hi Guys,

In MarketPress 3.0 we’re completely overhauling the variation/attribute architecture/functionality. You’ll be able to create a variation based upon any attribute/group of attributes and change things like price, shipping, image – all without having to create a new page for each product.

As @pc stated, we aren’t able to give out any ETAs, but I can say that we have already begun development on it. :slight_smile:

• Gabriel
    • New Recruit

Doubt I’m adding anything new here, but I’d like to add my support for the features discussed here. To reiterate what others have said:

Multiple variation types per product (ex. If I’m selling sweaters, my customer should be able to select color, size, material)

Images linked to variations (ex. If the customer selects blue from the color menu, the detail/hero image should change accordingly)

Alternate product images (ex. The customer is going to want to see the front, back, detail, and on-model shots of the sweater. This should support video as well…I’m not into it myself, but it seems studies are showing that conversion rates are drastically increased with video content)

Altered shipping cost based on variation (ex. Using Bob’s example, if the gate selected is cast iron when the default is aluminum, that selection should probably come with additional fees)

Selectable up-sells and/or cross-sells (ex. Back to the sweater, perhaps I’d like to push my customer toward the embroidered cashmere version of the same style (up sell) OR the matching layering piece (cross sell))

Ratings and reviews (I’m certain I could use a 3rd party plugin, but an integrated solution would be so much more elegant and preferable)

Filters (ex. At the product list level, if a customer is looking for something blue, or in his/her size, or made of a particular material, filters should be available)

As Bob said, adding features like these would make MarketPress so much more than adequate. Thanks for reading.

-Gabe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.