Feature Request - Custom Template location (like a child theme)

It's so very easy to customize the templates for e-Newsletter. This is particularly wonderful to create a branded set of email templates that comply to a company or organization's brand standard. This would enable someone to include their logo, select the background colors of the header, body and footer region as well as font (even an option to select a Google font if already enabled on the site), font colors / link colors.

While I've used Dreamweaver to customize templates for several clients - if the plugin gets updated (and that is frequent) the new templates are overwritten. Is there a way that you could set up an option for a custom folder that would be in a different location?

It's easy for me to upload the differently named custom templates by FTP after the plugin updates, but that makes clients more dependent on me... Believe me - they just don't have the technical comfort to do that for themselves. I want them to be as independent as possible.

If you could enhance this custom interface I think this would be perfect. I see two options:

1) Add a feature that would step folks through building their customized template from a new dashboard item - perhaps save the output in the wp-content/uploads folder or some other untouched area from plugin update;

OR

2) Include an option in the Settings to "Use Custom Templates" and then prompt for the URL where those would be located - this would save permanently and at least would not get overwritten with the plugin update and would mean I would only only have to perform the task one time for a client.

Thanks for your consideration!