Feature Request: Multi-User Memberships

My firm is currently working on a number of sites for a handful of arts-related nonprofits. Essentially all of these nonprofits have multi-member memberships (e.g., a single membership for husband and wife). I would like to use Membership 2 for membership management on these sites; however, Membership 2 does not have support for multi-user memberships. Unless there is some easy modification that would 'enable' multi-user memberships, then this is a feature request for a future release of the plugin.

• Michelle Shull

Hey there, Zyniker!

Not at this time, but that is an interesting idea! Right now, users could share passwords, I suppose, to share an account, but I'm not sure of another way.

I'm not entirely sure it can be done, if the accounts will have two passwords, or two email accounts attached. The WordPress user table in the database is currently structured to limit users to one password, and one email account, etc. So it would take some work, if it's possible.

I'll definitely flag it as a feature request, so the devs can take a look. :slight_smile:

Thanks!

• Zyniker

How difficult would it be to have a secondary set of fields for an additional member that didn't link to/create a second user account? In essence, extending Membership 2 to allow organizations to have multi-member memberships without requirement that WordPress's native account handling be extended (e.g., User1 would be the account and User2 would simply be a second set of fields [e.g., an email field so notifications could go to both members]).

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Zyniker,

I hope you're well today!

As @Michelle Shull has already flagged this as a "Feature Request" let's hope that our developers will find a way to incorporate this into the plugin. Hopefully, more members of our community will support the idea as well.

How difficult would it be to have a secondary set of fields for an additional member that didn't link to/create a second user account?

Actually, adding another "set of fields" to membership shouldn't be that difficult at all but there's another issue that has to be taken into account: Membership 2 plugin do not implement any registration/signup engine "from scratch" and it's using built-in WP tools. All the workflow is based on default WP account management and the only difference is that it's adding additional "protection/capability" layers it. Therefore proposed feature should most likely be implemented more on WP-core level than Membership itself.

Currently, memberships are "tied" to user accounts. Absolutely nothing stands in a way for multiple members to sign up for the very same membership, thus having the same set of privileges assigned. Otherwise those users would need to share their WP account or there should be other way for them to be logged in into the same account. This would seriously change established WordPress user-workflow.

That's just an explanation on the difficulty level though. Having said that, I do agree that suggested idea would make a great feature and as it's already been marked as a feature request, I really hope this will be possible in future.

Have a nice day!
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.