Feature request: streamlined installation of themes/ plugins

Hi all,

Spoiled with Installatron (Direct Admin) I really thought that subscribing to WPMU Dev would include a system of easy installation of your plugins.

It must be fairly easy to validate paying users and allow them to install themes and plugins with one click. I think it would be a great feature for new subscribers. "We install EVERY plug in for you"

Perhaps you can help me out how to make my life easier on a Mac. If I download plugins, Lion unzips the .zip file by default. So my steps to install a plugin are elaborate:

1. Open browser
2. Go to WPMU dev, enter user and pass
3. Find plugin
4. Download plugin
5. Compress plugin in ZIP file
6. Open admin of WP (or open client for FTP)
7. Upload plugin

Any tips to do this faster?

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi henkvaness and welcome to WPMU DEV!

And thanks for your feedback! Many of the plugins here you can actually install via the admin back-end by downloading the plugin zip and going to Plugins > Add New then selecting the upload option.

The plugin instructions mention installing via FTP though, because it's the optimal method of installation as it helps ensure there's not odd permissions issues or issues with corrupted or missing files.

Ultimately though, it would be nice to be able to not only update, but install the plugins and themes right from the back-end using Update Notifications.

I'll mention that to the team over here and see what everyone's thoughts are on that, meanwhile hopefully other members have thoughts to add as well.

Cheers,
    David

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya henkvaness,

Thanks for your feedback here. As you've noted, this is just a default Safari/Mac setting. You can make the change as you've noted, or use firefox/chrome and the zip will not be uncompressed on download.

Although you do have to manually upload the file the first time, we do provide for automatic updates for nearly every plugin here through our Update Notifications plugin.

Thanks!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.