Feature Request to User Synchronization Plugin

Hi all!

Guys, I really need this feature to be added to this plugin.

One master site can have a lot of slave sites, but I need something like: A lot of buddypress sites to have just one slave sites, in other words, just one slave site to have a lot of master sites.

'Cause I want to run a network of different buddypress communities, each community has it's own user data base, it's own subject and other things... But they can meet each other on the master community.

It's more or less like this: I have 3 different politic communities, one likes the political party 1, the second community likes the political party 2 and the third community likes the political party 3. Each community has their own subject, but all the communities can meet each other to talk about their political preferences on the main community.

So, I don't want my users to register 2 times, to be user of their community and main community.

I don't know if I was clear enought but, it's something like this...

Is it possible?

Thanks!

Derek Melo

PS: By the way, is there a way to make a buddypress community network like WPMU that does not share the user data base?

• aecnu

Greetings Derek,

Thank you for the information regarding your idea and needs and I will certainly submit the feature request as you have indicated you want and notify the lead developer.

If I were going to do this though I would have each with their own site and the master site of its own too. Or a MU site with the groups and the master site separate synching to the network sites.

In any event as I mentioned earlier I will notify the lead developer of the request and move this into the feature requests section.

It would also be in your best interest to make a feature request here:
    http://wpmudev.uservoice.com/

The more popular a request is and the more votes it gets, the more likely it will be considered.

It might have already been suggested. It is worth a quick search to add your votes before submitting a new suggestion.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

Cheers, Joe :slight_smile:

• aecnu

Greetings Saunt Valerian and iaindb,

Thank you for your guys input.

A heads up that the user voice system has been discontinued by WPMU DEV due to lack of participation by our members therefore it was deemed to be ineffective - especially compared to the forums responses were less then 1%.

Please lay it out what you folks want here and I have already pinged the lead developer to this ticket way back when, but I will do it again the moment I have your requests here in this ticket.

Cheers, Joe

• Saunt Valerian

@aecnu thanks for this opportunity....

These are my thoughts for the lead developer to consider. I think its time to give this plugin some love. Various user searches for user synchronization for WordPress all lead back to this plugin, which means it needs to be flexible.

I'm going to double on what @derekmelo said about having multiple masters. Think of it this way, having multiple masters allows the sync to be controlled from below, instead only from the top. Right now, you have a hub site and then sync other slave sites to it. Members of the hub site can then also be members of the sites below. This design is good, but it also mimics a lot of what can be done with MU.

Adding flexibility
    Multiple masters adds a layer of flexibility and allows for membership control from below. There are a lot of use cases I can see for this: You could have a number of local sites set as masters where membership can be controlled by the those local site managers (these could local political sites like the OP said, or when we start talking about Enterprise or Government 2.0 then see ability to control membership based on the employee database on the local, lowest level). This way, the users interface with the group of sites at the lowest (local) level, but that site is a master to hub site (perhaps a regional site) which serves as the slave. This way, user management is delegated to the various site managers of the local sites and changes there are reflected in the higher site (again which serves as a slave to multiple masters).

Delegating user management
    This setup spreads user management out across various sites. Even Edublogs might have a use for this, for example you could sell independent sites to schools where you don't want users to be able to access sites for other schools in the district. So each school gets its own WP install and manages its own users, content and resources. However, everyone needs to be able to access the district site so you create another site to host unique content and tools for the entire district and set it up as a slave to all the independent school sites. The schools then handle the user access, and everybody has access to everything they need.

My use case
    I have a Government 2.0 project that I am developing using WP/BP as the core of a municipal department cloud-based intranet, but we want employees of those intranets to be able to log into a regional site to share information between cities. Obviously, each department gets it own website and controls its own users because each department is fully self-contained, but multiple masters added to User Sync would enable those same employees to have access to a regional website to cross-talk with their counterparts in other cities using the login information setup and managed by their local employer.

I could write a 50-page paper for about a dozen use cases similar to mine and the OP's that would greatly benefit from having multiple masters support in User Sync - it would certainly add a significant amount of power and flexibility to the plugin and increase the possible uses for it.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.