Feature Requests Directory Plugin/Theme

Guys:

Hi! I created this thread for a Feature Request and Feedback about the Directory Plugin. Here goes:

I am writing to request multiple features on the Directory plugin that I feel should have been included intuitively:
* Better integration with Google Maps using custom fields: Although it integrates with Google Maps, according to Timothy, it only integrates with 1 custom field. Given that most directories use more than 1 input field for address (Street Address, City, State, Zip = 4 fields) I don't think that seamless integration is realistic, without having to do it manually (insert each map manually) with each post.
See this thread for more information: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/integrate-directory-with-google-maps-plugin?replies=9#post-789542

*Better Search Functionality: I organized my directory based on city, with the listing_category = city. I was disappointed to find that the search field did not display many of the cities that were listed in my listing_category, even when I entered it word for word. I had to research multiple external plugins in order to get better search results. This occurred when using the Directory Modern Theme. I am unsure as to the other themes.

* More attention to the widget area spacing: Upon installation, I noticed an overlap of images in the widget area. For example, the content in widget areas 1, 2, 3, and 4 were all overlapping with each other, regardless of size. Thanks to Tyler, this was fixed with CSS, but I feel that it should have been noticed prior to being released to the public

* More attention to layout: I found a bug in which the grid layout and the row layout were both rendering the same way using a shortcode. I disabled many plugins (most of which were from WPMUDE) and they were still rendering inappropriately. When I switched from the Directory Modern Theme (native theme) to the Product Theme, it rendered appropriately. Michelle is still looking into this. See this thread for more information: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/directory-grid-and-directory-list-appear-the-same#post-788687

I made this list, because I spent countless hours trying to fix certain bugs and perform certain integrations. I feel that the Directory Plugin did not exhibit the power and functionality that a paid plugin of its type should exhibit, and that its features were more of that of a portfolio than a directory. I know that you guys are probably knee deep in feature requests for this and other plugins. However, I feel that if I was turned off by this lack of functionality, many others WPMUDE users will be turned off by this also; and many will not take the time to tell you about it. I also know that many of the things I listed can be fixed with child themes, PHP, and CSS coding in the theme files. But, if one has to do this all the time, for every feature, it can be tiring. Especially if they are new to Wordpress. Or, if they are like me and have not coded in a long time due to various time constraints, it can be really time consuming.

I do appreciate all that you guys do, and your dedication to customer support. Please take this as constructive feedback. Despite the few problems I encountered listed here, there are at least 20 Issues and problems that you guys have helped me solve over the last few months. Much love and thank you!

Vaughan

Hi @F. Zaria,

Hope you're well?

I am writing to request multiple features on the Directory plugin that I feel should have been included intuitively:
    * Better integration with Google Maps using custom fields: Although it integrates with Google Maps, according to Timothy, it only integrates with 1 custom field. Given that most directories use more than 1 input field for address (Street Address, City, State, Zip = 4 fields) I don't think that seamless integration is realistic, without having to do it manually (insert each map manually) with each post.

I have added this to the features section, hopefully the developers will consider this for a future update.

*Better Search Functionality: I organized my directory based on city, with the listing_category = city. I was disappointed to find that the search field did not display many of the cities that were listed in my listing_category, even when I entered it word for word. I had to research multiple external plugins in order to get better search results. This occurred when using the Directory Modern Theme. I am unsure as to the other themes.

directory uses the default wordpress search functions, which are poor to begin with. We usually recommend external search plugins such as swiftype or relevanssi as they do a much better job in my opinion.

http://wordpress.org/plugins/swiftype-search/screenshots/

http://wordpress.org/plugins/taxonomy-picker/

http://wordpress.org/plugins/relevanssi/

* More attention to the widget area spacing: Upon installation, I noticed an overlap of images in the widget area. For example, the content in widget areas 1, 2, 3, and 4 were all overlapping with each other, regardless of size. Thanks to Tyler, this was fixed with CSS, but I feel that it should have been noticed prior to being released to the public

* More attention to layout: I found a bug in which the grid layout and the row layout were both rendering the same way using a shortcode. I disabled many plugins (most of which were from WPMUDE) and they were still rendering inappropriately. When I switched from the Directory Modern Theme (native theme) to the Product Theme, it rendered appropriately. Michelle is still looking into this. See this thread for more information: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/directory-grid-and-directory-list-appear-the-same#post-788687

As these are being dealt with in a different thread, i'll refrain from commenting on these, If there's an issue with the theme itself, michelle will report this to the developer and it should hopefully be fixed soon after.

I've reported this feedback to the developer, and hopefully we can get these fixed up in a future update, however at this current time, priorities are more focussed on some of our bigger & more popular plugins, but we will look into this in time, however I can't give any ETA's on this.

Again, thanks for the feedback, it is much appreciated & hopefully we can improve these plugins in future.

Cheers