Feature suggestion for Live Stream widget

Just installed the Live Stream widget (with Post Indexer and Comment Indexer) and it works just dandy.

I have 2 suggestions for what I believe to be essential options in such a widget:

1 - Animation speed
2 - Pause animation on hover

Keep 'em coming devs!

:slight_smile:

• mbitcon
    • Problem solver

Hi

currently it only possible to decide between current blog and all blogs, it would be nice if there was a settings page where I can select the blogs that should show up in the live stream. In my particular case I want to show all blogs but the current one :wink:

Also there are a few labels missing in the po file for translation:
    the word "on" and the "visit" in the widget output can not be translated.
    BTW are you interested in my german translation? and could include it in future releases (so it does not overwrite my hard work when the next update is out :wink: ) If so where can I put the po and mo file? is there an upload form for contributions somewhere? For now, I just added the file to this comment.

Mike

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@videomike, thanks for the file. I'll review. and I'll be sure to update the language file on the next release. So on to your suggestions...

For the Blog section - You are correct this is an all or none selection. The problem is we didn't want to add a drop down or similar where you had to select blogs. We have some users who run Multisite networks with hundreds and thousands of blogs. Also consider our Edublogs.com which has over 1.3 million sites. So we sort of left that out on purpose. I was thinking we could implement a filter via the code. Then in your theme you can filter the included blogs. I'm not sure that would even work it there were multiple instances of the widget.

I'm open to suggestions on this. I know if will be a popular topic for users of this widget.

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@Patrick and @Pali Baacsi,

Can I get you to review the linked beta #4
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2616987/WPMUDev/live-stream-widget-1.0.1-Beta4.zip

with this bets I've added an input field to the widget admin to set the number of seconds delay. Whole integers only for now.

I've also recoded the JavaScript to allow control of each widget independent. And yes it now has pause on hover.

Other changes have to do with the selection of the content. In the initial version the content defaults to the current site. There a checkbox to allow network content but still this only included users from the current site who might have access to create content on other sites.

On this new beta I've changed this to a set of 3 radio buttons to show Local only, Network (still only current site users), or All users for All site. See the attached screenshot.

Would love to get some feedback on this. My next issue is to tackle the Post Type and Taxonomy section. At one time I had this as a multi-select drop down where you could select multiple combinations. Thought about brining this back?

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

@Paul

Just tested the beta and all seems to be working fine. Installed 2 instances of the widget, 1 for the main site only, and 1 for all sites. Animation delay works like a charm too, thanks!

It would be nice to be able to also select "All sites except the main site" as suggested by @videomike above :slight_smile:

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@Pali Baacsi, I thought about adding some option to let the admin control the layout of each item. But this was supposed to be a simple widget nothing more. I might be able to add some wrapper spans around elements then you can setup your own CSS in your theme to hide the items you want. For the most part this was supposed to be somewhat standardized information. But agree there is not standard as far as this information.

• mbitcon
    • Problem solver

Hi Paul

I thought a bit more about the problem with multisites with large numbers of blogs.
    I guess the easiest way to implement it is make an options setting page with an option "Include my updates in global update stream". Then you could just evaluate which blogs have that option ticked and don't need a drop down list of 100000 blogs...

Mike

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hiya Paul,

I would think that many users would like to be able to have 2 instances of the widget: one for what's happening on their main site, and another for the goings-on around their network.

I know I would love to have 2 distinct streams like that on my logged-in home page!

:slight_smile:

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hi again Paul,

Oops, I wasn't very clear, I guess :slight_frown:

Yes, multiple instances do work fine, but...

What I meant to say was it would be nice having one widget display posts from the main site only, and another display posts from subsites only.

Does that help?

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@Patrick, Yeah I see your direction. Let me focus on some other tweaks first. I'm currently working to enable this widget to not depend on the Indexer plugins. So in other words if the plugins are not enabled it would pull the Posts/Comments from the local site only.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.