feature suggestion for the voting plugin

how about adding a widget to show top voted posts?
how about the same for site.-wide? i.e. showing the top voted posts from around the network?

• DavidM

Hi Ovidiu,

Great ideas! And fortunately, the awesome core developer behind it went ahead and included those widgets along with a nifty widget voting widget that only displays when a vote is possible (ie. when on a vote post/page)!

So in all, there's a top votes widget, a network wide top votes widget and a handy vote widget. :slight_smile:

I think it would help if we highlighted those items on the project page though, I'll take a look into that.

Cheers,
    David

• Lorange

Hi! this is a great plugin!

I made a few suggestions one week ago: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/request-rating-script-a-la-wordpresscom

For example:

1) What's about adding a 5 stars ajax rating alternative? The problem might be to make it compatible with your db data... But I'm sure that could be compatible. For example: Star 1 = +2 thumbdowns / Star 2 = +1 thumbdown / Star 3 = nothing / Star 4 = +1 thumbup / Star 5 = +2 thumbups.

2) Would it be possible to distinguish between pages/posts/comments (choose if we want to add the voting option only for comments, only for posts or only for pages? This is the way the wp.com plugin works and this very useful.)

I cannot test the plugin right now but I can't wait to Give it a try.

Laurent

• Vladislav

Hi all,

@Ovidiu, top voted posts on network widget will be rendered on main site only. Top voted on network shortcodes and template tags can be used on any blog.

As for settings, site admins have access to all settings for their blog. I do see your point how this can be undesired for your use case, and it'll probably be an often scenario too. I'll look into it and see what can be done.

@Lorange, about 5-star alternative: database storage isn't too much of a problem and it could be made to handle 1-5 (or 5-10, or whatever) grades, pretty much just like you said yourself.

However, we currently use simple totals for sorting and, well, generally anything related to showing the voting results. This works well for a simple "vote up/down" system, but in a rating system we'd want to use averages instead.

The change itself seems minor, but it would impact all results and widgets/shortcodes/template tags. This would effectively result in two separate modes of operation: voting and rating, and switching between the two would a) change behavior of just about everything, and b) invalidate (i.e. remove) all previous data. For these reasons I'm thinking that the rating system would be better served by a separate plugin.

As for being able to distinguish between post types when deciding if the voting should be displayed, that's a great idea and I'll look into it. However, to avoid any confusion, I'd like to point out that the plugin works with posts, not comments.

• Lorange

Being abe to distinguish between post types would be really good. I think that adding an alternative 5 stars rating option would be a great plus for this plugin. That would make it a real competitor of the free WP.com rating plugin mentionned here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/request-rating-script-a-la-wordpresscom

And it looks like the plugin only shows ONE number. Such a single total number is not really informative. A post could have a total of 1000 (with 1000 postive votes and 0 negative votes) while another post could have the same total with 1900 positive votes and 900 negative votes. As far as I can remember, I have always seen two different numbers shown on websites using this kind of voting: the total number of positive votes AND the total number of negative votes.

• Ovidiu

@VeBailovity:

I checked the plugin again, and I'd like to say that I only want my users to have access to the following settings:

- whether to display the voting buttons or not
    - where to display them: below/above post content
    - display the buttons on the home or not, maybe only on single view?

All other settings should not be available to them.
    Does that make sense to you other guys or is it just my inner control freak that's asking for this?

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.