Featured image url structure broken

Good Morning,
Last night, instead of risking a ton of database changes and errors, I used the Domain Mapping plugin to change the main url of a Wordpress network site. The site is set up as a network, but no other sites are currently hosted off it (yet).

Before applying the plugin and mapping the domain, everything was working correctly. After application of the plugin, the featured image path was displaying as {domain}/files/2012/02/{file}. Before putting the plugin in place, the featured url path was {domain}/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/{file}. Now, I can say, the only place this is broken is when using Featured Images to place content on the homepage and homepage rotator. The assigned media url is correct, and when an image is placed in a post, the image is loading correclty.

When trying to load the image directly into the browser using {domain}/files/2012/02/{file} (using 'files/' as the path instead of 'wp-content/uploads'), the file fails to load in the browser. I know the files aren't there.

Now, as a short term fix, I tried to copy the images over to a folder structure of 'www/files' on the server, and that still didn't take.

I've used this plugin to do the same thing in the past, but not on a 3.0 network install. I'm happy that the plugin made the cutover so easy, now I just need to resolve the image path.

I would appreciate any help anyone can provide.
Thanks

  • aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

    Greetings wpusers :slight_smile:

    considering this is a Multi Site install (correct me please if I miss interpreted your ticket) images are not contained in uploads but rather in wp-content/blogs.dir/blogid/files/year/month with the exception of the main site created when Multi Site was installed.

    Which version of WordPress are we working with?

    Joe :slight_smile:

  • wpusers
    • Flash Drive

    Thanks for getting back to me Aecnu. The install is fresh (less than a month old), and the most current, 3.3.1.

    It's a real weird issues, which is only on the main site because that's all there is right now. Images placed through the Featured Image function in the admin are pulling from the {site}/files/{year}/{month}, but if the content editor places a file directly into the body content, then the image appears with the {site}/wp-content/uploads/{year}/{month} structure.

    The issue seems to be relative to the Featured Image function. If I try and upload the images again, it still follows and functions through the /wp-content/uploads/structure.

    I have reviewed the network settings, and the Site Settings, and the Upload Path is 'wp-content/uploads'

    Prior to the migration, addition of the new domain and domain mapping plugin, the images were presenting properly. For reference, the change was from url.us to url.com. The client wouldn't pay to install cPannel, and then I didnt have phpMyAdmin, so I wasn't very interested in trying to download the SQL data, dump the database, and upload the data again.

    Again, thanks for getting back to me on this.

  • aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

    Greetings wpusers :slight_smile:

    Domain Mapping is the wrong plugin for this mission and I am surprised it works at all.

    Domain Mapping is to provide for mapping Top Level Domains to Sub Domains.

    This is certainly not the case here.

    So to fix this up I recommend that you first reverse all things related to Domain Mapping short of uninstalling it but have it de-activated.

    Then you want to use this plugin for the task of dual root domains Multi-Domains

    Then everything should straighten out and you should be all set.

    To YOUR Success!

    Joe :slight_smile:

  • wpusers
    • Flash Drive

    haha! Aside of the image issue, the plugin worked like a charm for this. Ironically, I was actually looking at both plugins last night and thought the Multi-domains was the incorrect one.

    I will try this out tonight (late) and report my progress tomorrow.
    Thanks for all the help

  • wpusers
    • Flash Drive

    HAHA! It took me all of 5 minutes to remove the Domain Mapping plugin, add Multi Domain plugin and POOF! everything worked perfect. Thank you so much for your help! I spent 3hrs working on a fix last night and now this is just done and I can actually go to bed tonight :slight_smile:

  • wpusers
    • Flash Drive

    Follow-up: After the server decided it wanted to do it's caching song and dance, it started redirecting back to url.us. So, since I read it was possible, I added the Domain Mapping back in with the Multi Domain and everything just slid right into place. That worked like a charm.
    Thanks!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.