Features comparison of the 3 different plugins WPMUD offers

I want to sell online courses. Most people I know use Wishlist Member. WPMUDEV have 3 different plugins that seem to offer similar features...? Is there a feature comparison table or even individual pages with the full list of features? OR, am I supposed to install all 3? These are the questions I'm trying to answer:

My scenario...

I sell 5 different productivity courses (as well as free downloads) under one brand, all sold and marketed separately but to the same audience. e.g. Gmail Setup 101 / Asana for Beginners / Password Management 101

Here are my needs:

(1) all courses a customer has purchased to show on their 'home page'. (Zippy Courses offers this but I'm not sure about WPMUDEV)
(2) show progress on each course to the user
(3) ability to offer payment plans
(3) I need to view each individual's progress - what content they've watched/accessed etc.
(4) My preference is to have the courses housed on my current domain rather than a sub domain or a different one altogether but it's not a deal breaker. In this I'm trying to achieve 'lifetime user accounts'. For example, Susan buys her first course in January, then another in July - I want the plugin to recognise her email address and remind her she already has an account etc. and help her log in to her 'home page' to purchase the next course - or a sequence similar to that.
(5) offer free courses / promo codes etc.

I installed the Membership plugin but I'm disappointed there isn't a wizard to help me start setting up courses - have I missed it? Also, by activating it, it automatically blocks all pages on my domain without telling me wtf?

Many thanks...

• Ivan

Hey there hello131,

Hope you are having great weekend so far!

Most people I know use Wishlist Member. WPMUDEV have 3 different plugins that seem to offer similar features...?

Is this question regarding the Membership, Protected Content and some other plugin I can't remember right now?

s there a feature comparison table or even individual pages with the full list of features

Currently there is no features tables for the plugins, but you can check what they offer and what they can do on each plugins page. That might be a neat feature to add to these pages.

#1 There is build-in functionality like this in Course Press Pro

#2 There is no overall course progress, but in the course preview there is progress for each unit of the course. Pleas check the screenshot.

#3 There is MarketPress module included in Course Press Pro, which will allow you to sell courser like a virtual products. If you want membership-like functionality you can use it with combination with Membership or Protected Content.

#4 You can add courses to your current domain/WordPress installation. It is working fine with themes fallowing the WordPress coding standards. But it is always good to check.
    Also there is theme included in Course Press Pro - specially made for this purpose - so I guess you could offer the courses on sub-domain folder. Of course if that suits you.

#5 You can offer promo codes with the MarketPress integration I already mention in #3.

I would suggest looking into Course Press for courses and eventually Protected Content if you want to offer membership like courses.

Membership does not offer courses functionality!
    Membership plugin is not for this purpose. Also it is kind of old, and we advise using Protected Content where possible isntead.

Thanks,
    Ivan

• hello131

Ivan you are faster than Superman! Thank you for such a quick response and answering each question. I have one clarification please:

"I would suggest looking into Course Press for courses and eventually Protected Content if you want to offer membership like courses."

Your wording creates ambiguity for me. Do you mean the courses I publish using Course Press WON'T be protected unless I also install the plugin called Protected Content? To be clear, I want users to have one membership/login for multiple different courses they purchase over a lifetime, I want to publish courses and charge for them, AND I want that content protected from non-members on the blog. So I should use both CoursePress and ProtectedContent together no?

• Tyler Postle

Hey Hi Hello!

Hope you're well today :slight_smile:

Do you mean the courses I publish using Course Press WON'T be protected unless I also install the plugin called Protected Content?

You can protect the courses with just CoursePress itself by making the Course a paid course or by setting it to "manually add students only". In your case you will want to just set it to paid, that way it's protected until paid for :slight_smile:

You can allow the students to have lifetime access to the course by just not setting an end date to it. That way they can pay once and complete the course then go back whenever they like to review the material.

Keep in mind that CoursePress doesn't support recurring memberships, that is where Protected Content would come in :slight_smile: then you can protect courses with protected content and have the payment handled through that plugin instead of through CoursePress. In this instance you would set the courses to being free to join, but then protect them with protected content until paid for, so really they aren't free to join - but you don't want them to have to pay twice :p

Hopefully I didn't explain that too terribly haha.

Let us know if you have any further questions hello!

All the best,
    Tyler

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.