FedEx address validation integration

How do I integrate FedEx's address validation with MarketPress? A client has customers that order products but don't check the "Home Delivery" checkbox. FedEx has an address validation function that validates whether an address is commercial or a home. How do I integrate that with MarketPress?

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hiya,

Thanks for your post on the forums.

That would require some custom work as its not possible to integrate it out of the box.

I have however sent a note to our lead developer to see if he has got any views on this one and get us some direction here.

Cheers
    PC
    Sales &Support

• Aaron
    • CTO

We're not adding validation, but @Arnold is changing the module to default to only calculating by home addresses, unless you tick a checkbox in settings to enable business discounts.

The majority of MP users are Business->Consumer, so that makes sense. Look for it in the next release.

• Bob
    • The Incredible Code Injector

The customer in question has mostly business>consumer sales as well, but that does not take into consideration people who may be ordering heat-sensitive or other perishable items and wants their purchase delivered to work, while others may be ordering an item that can sit on a doorstep for several hours until someone gets home.

http://www.berries.com/ for example. Their customers are primarily business>consumer, but I'll bet few deliveries are to home addresses.

Address validation is not some esoteric, rarely used FedEx option. it is common. To consider MarketPress truly FedEx integrated makes it a requirement.

• Bob

We're not adding validation, but @Arnold is changing the module to default to only calculating by home addresses, unless you tick a checkbox in settings to enable business discounts.

On the backend, it has changed to "Allow commercial delivery", but on the front end the tic box is still showing to allow home delivery. The default is not home delivery, it is commercial.

• Bob

From the backend:

FedEx Allow Commercial Delivery
    When checked the customer can chose Residential or Commercial delivery. Otherwise it's always Residential.

Which is exactly what I want. Default to home delivery, but have a commercial option

BUT THERE IS NO COMMERCIAL OPTION.

If I check the box, the default rate becomes commercial ground, and the tic box is to allow home delivery. Your quote is that this will happen:

.When checked the customer can chose Residential or Commercial delivery. Otherwise it's always Residential

No...when checked in the backend the default is commercial, and the only thing the customer can select different is home delivery..

The default should ALWAYS be the more expensive ground, regardless of what is checked in the backend. The tic box in the backend should be to allow commercial rate AS IT SAYS IN THE BACKEND, with that being what is said beside the tic box on the frone end.

• Arnold
    • El Macho WP

I thought the complaint was that customers were selecting commercial because it was cheaper and then you got hit with a greater cost if it wasn't commercial.

Are you wanting what was there before but the default for the front end checkbox being checked for residential?

• Bob

Originally, if you had ground and home delivery checked in the backend, on the front end the customer had a default of commercial grounf and a checkbox that they may or may not sheck. If they didn't but it WAS a residence, the customer got the cheaper commercial rate but the website owner paid the higher residential rate when the FedEx bill cme at the end of the month.

Instead, when both ground and residential ground are checked in the backend, along with an on/off for commercial ground (like the one you sent yesterday), the default the customer sees needs to be residential ground with a tic box that can be checked for commercial ground as the option.

If the box in the backend is not checked, the only shipping would be figured as residential, while if the tic box in the back was checked the default to the customer would be residential, but there would be a tic box that could be checked to make it a commercial delivery.

• Bob

Put a simpler way:

Originally, if you checked both ground and residential ground in the backend, the default was ground and the customer had to check residential for the higher residential rate to be charged.

Flip it.

If both boxes are checked in the backend, make residential be the default with a tic box the customer has to check to get commercial.

If only ground is selected in the backend, the default is residential.

• Arnold
    • El Macho WP

The problem with that is that the residential flag affects more rates than just Ground Home delivery. See below with and without the residential flag. Every rate changes.

I think the best way is to leave the "Check if delivery is to a residence." box on the front and just default it to already checked on a new order. Previously it defaulted to off. So they explicitly have to uncheck it to get commercial.

• Bob

Sorry Arnold...its doing the same:

WITHOUT allow commercial delivery tic box checked in the backend, just home delivery possible on front end...no tic box.

WITH allow commercial delivery tic box checked in backend, front defaults to commercial delivery prices with a tic box to allow home delivery, same as before.

• Arnold
    • El Macho WP

Are you using it on a previously existing customer?. Any old customers are going to remember the settings from the last time they ordered. It's part of the shipping information.

Try doing an order while not logged in and you'll see what I mean.

• Bob

Checking allow commercial delivery tic box

Logging in thru proxy: after filling in false info, residential box is unchecked, and shipping is figured with commercial rates. Check the residential box and shipping is refigured to higher home rate.

Home delivery is supposed to be checked by default, and default rate is supposed to be home, unless you un-check the box, right? Isn't happinin'.

Are you sure you sent the right file this morning? Its the same version number as the one you sent the other day...marketpress2.8.9beta-2

• Bob

I've got MarketPress installed on a couple of sites...just to make sure you've got the right one, its http://naturesfarmacy.com

I've got the box in the backend to allow commercial delivery unchecked right now. That is the only way I can force the home delivery rates. If I check the box in the backend, the tic box on the front end has to be checked for residential delivery, and the default is for it to be unchecked.

I liiked back...they aren't the same version number...beta1 vs beta2, but the WPMU site wouldn't let me edit the comment.

• Arnold
    • El Macho WP

If you want to double check look at line 123 in mp-fedex.php
    Should be

if ( isset($_SESSION['mp_shipping_info']['residential']) )
      $checked = $_SESSION['mp_shipping_info']['residential'];
    else
      $checked = true; //default to checked

That's were the decision is made. If the session variable hasn't been initialized yet the check is set to true. Otherwise it's set to the value of the session variable which is setup from the logged in user or created blank uif not logged in..

• Bob

Its late...they won't have many more customers tonight...I'll go into the backend and check the "allow commercial" box. I'll be checking back here and when you say you've tried it that way I'll go change it back. With the backend box checked, the front end box will be defaulted to unchecked...you'll see what I mean.

• Arnold
    • El Macho WP

Yes they are having server problems heres the message I get

FedEx: Rating is temporarily unavailable for one or more services: FIRST_OVERNIGHT; PRIORITY_OVERNIGHT; STANDARD_OVERNIGHT; FEDEX_2_DAY_AM; FEDEX_2_DAY; FEDEX_EXPRESS_SAVER; ; ; ; ; . Please try again later.

Think they're doing maintenance.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.