Feed Not compatible with Divi - Shortcodes Showing

Hi there,

First of all... loving the plugin! Definitely a must have if running a social multisite network!
Unfortunately its not compatible with certain themes. In this case its the Divi and Extra theme (from Elegant Themes).

When a subsite is using one of those themes, the feed will show the post content as shortcodes, not they way is should be. See screenshot attached.

Is there any way to fix that?
Cheers,

Ronald

• Sajid

Hi Dutchman,
    Hope you are doing good today :slight_smile:

Its because both themes uses custom functions to parse/render those shortcodes. That is not part of WordPress so that is why our Reader plugin does not understand and simply display as text.

If on current site, you don't have one of these themes installed then this would not work. If you have installed Extra or Divi theme on this site/subsite and still its not working then please enable support staff access so I can take a closer look. To grant access go to WPMU DEV -> Support -> Support Access -> Grant Access or see this manual.

Also, one more thing, I heard that they have The Divi Builder plugin. So if you install and network activate that plugin then this should also fix this issue. But, I am not sure if The Divi Builder plugin is compatible with Multisite or not, so please better check and confirm this from Elegant themes before using it.

Hope that helps! Feel free to post a reply if you need further assistance :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Sajid

• Sajid

Hi Dutchman,

Thanks for granting support staff access.

In the source code that is responsible to show the full content, we are using native WordPress the_content() function that's what every theme uses. That means we are not stripping any shortcodes from content.

I can see you have Divi theme installed on that subsite but its still not working. Did you tried network activating the Divi builder plugin ?

Yes, it can be the case while using the shortcodes in backend does not work. Please contact Elegant Themes support and ask whether they have any type of restrictions to not-render the shortcodes on custom loop in dashboard area.

Take care and have a nice day :slight_smile:

Best Regards,
    Sajid

• Dutchman

Thanks Sajid

I have posted this in the support forum, but unfortunately they didn't reply with a helpful solution.
    https://www.elegantthemes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=190&t=564354

Hi Ronald,
    I'm sorry but Divi Builder doesn't display its content on the back-end. Its not designed for that. Please feel free to submit the idea in our Theme Suggestions section

That really sucks! Because that means the Reader plugin is absolutely useless in my case. Unless there is a solution for this to make the Reader plugin compatible with Divi or visa versa. Or even better, if the reader was available as a page on the front side of the (main) website.

Any suggestions on this to this happen?
    Cheers,

Ronald

• Sajid

Hi Dutchman,

I am sorry for delay on this ticket, I have been on vacations and it seems this ticket got missed and left unassigned to other staff member. Sorry!

Thanks for sharing the response from Elegant Themes Support. That clearly states its Divi builder that is not rendering its content in backend. I am sorry but its issue with the builder itself and not with Reader plugin since we are not stripping any shortcodes and displaying what it gets.

Right now its not possible to display on front end. Its designed to be used in backend only. Making it to work on frontend would require a good deal of customization that is beyond the level of support we can provide here. Sorry!

Its unlikely that this feature will get added in future version of this plugin but I can still move it to features and feedback section from where it can be considered for development if it gets enough +1's from other members of community.

Best Regards,
    Sajid

• Sajid

Hi Dutchman,

To be honest, I did not get the idea of what Divi Dashboard Welcome plugin actually does.

But as stated above, if you get something that render Divi shortcodes on admin side then it should work. Again, reader plugin is compatible with shortcodes in backend so you just need something that will parse those shortcodes into human readable form.

I recommend you to ask the plugin developer before actually purchasing it. Or request a demo to make sure it does what you need.

Best Regards,
    Sajid

• Dutchman

Hi Sajid,

Thanks for the feedback. I already have a topic open on this at the Elegant Themes support forums. and this is what I got back:

Hi Ronald,

Yes this is right, the results of the shortcodes that Divi builder is generating can be "translated" into layout, only on the front end, so widgets like Recent Posts on your dashboard will not be able to render those shortcodes in your dashboard.

This is actually a restriction of how WordPress renders shortcodes and the same will happen, using other themes, with different builders.

I'm afraid at this time, there is no way to render those shortcodes in your dashboard area.

I'm really sorry.

Thank you in advance
    Best Regards.

So, it seems others have managed a way to have it rendered... any suggestions on how to do the same with the Reader plugin? Maybe a code snippet that calls the rendering of Divi shortcodes inside the Reader feed?

Cheers,
    Ronald

• Nastia

Hello, Ronald, I trust you are doing well!

As the Elegant Themes support replied, the shortcodes can be used only inside the editor by default. WordPress CMS doesn't show shortcodes anywhere else inside the admin dashboard. To achieve this there a need for some special plugins or write a custom code.

There is a way to fix this with custom coding. Instead, of calling a shortcode [do_shortcode()], the plugin needs to call a function that is associated with a shortcode, but this will require some custom code.

It looks like the Divi Dashboard Welcome plugin is doing something similar, although, like Sajid suggested it will be best to contact them and ask if the plugin is compatible with the Reader plugin. I would love to test it, but the Divi Dashboard Welcome plugin it's a premium plugin and I do not have access to it.

If the above plugin will not work, I afraid this will require a lot of custom coding, you can post a job in Jobs & Pros section, so a skillful developer can do this for you.

Let us know if you have any further questions.

Kind regards,
    Nastia

• Sajid

Hi Dutchman,
    Hope you are doing good today!

I am sorry but as mentioned above, making it compatible will require a good deal of customization, that is unfortunately beyond the level of support we can provide here.

If the plugin you mentioned does not work and render Divi shortcode in backend then you have to hire a developer from jobs board to customize it for you according to your requirements.

Best Regards,
    Sajid

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.