Feedback Needed from Snapshot Users

Hello, beloved members!

We wanted to point out the very cool new feature we've added to Snapshot, in case some of you missed it, and also because we'd love your feedback.

What is this wonderful new feature? I'm so glad you asked! We're now offering hosted backups for your Snapshots. Whaaaaaat. Each member gets up to 10gb of storage, and setting it up can be done in three steps. Your backups are 111% secure on our servers, and, best of all, this feature is already included in your DEV membership, it's no extra cost.

If you haven't already, make sure you're using the latest version of Snapshot Pro, and enable hosted backups. Let us know what you think, and if you have any issues.

• pablodesign
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

I have been using this new backup system for a couple of weeks - looks really good so far - couple of things - it seems to hang on a couple of my sites - the message says it's currently running - but been like that for a couple of days - might try de-activating and re-activating.

The next thing is 10gb is probably too small for my needs - is it possible to get more storage space?

• Aaron
    • CTO

Thanks for sharing guys! If you run into any backup problems, please make sure all the logs are enabled to the "Info" setting in managed backups page. Then paste the log contents in a new ticket here so we can look into it for you. You can find the log file in your Snapshot directory (as defined in settings) in the _logs folder.

• David
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Hi, I'm running Snapshot on a lot of my sites and it seems to fail an awful lot, I'm trying to work out why, I've setup monthly or weekly backups (depending on client site changes frequency) but it certainly doesnt seem to be reliable.....

I'm going to initiate the hosted backups on one client site and see if it works.

Are there reasons it wont run on some servers?

DJ

• David

It would you useful if the managed backup told you (when processing) how many steps it was going to take, it currently says "processing (steps1??) but not of how many so I have no idea of how long the backups are taking/ nor an estimate of how long it may take nor the number of steps???

• Aaron
    • CTO

David We've got that feature update slated, it's actually in the plugin now just hidden away till we test ti further. Most backup problems are either due to WP's cron system (not enough site traffic to trigger it reliably) or because the size of your site causes failures due to script timeouts or out of memory errors.

Make sure you have all the logs turned on in settings, and send us a copy of those + any possibly related php error log entries if you run into a problem.

• Jean McLain
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

I've used Snapshot a lot and love it. I'm going to try the hosted backups. Currently using local server. Because I have a reseller hosting account (on a shared server) it's easy for me to see when I have a problem with limits. This has been the primary reason from my Snapshots to hang. Also, if you backup to local server you'll run out of space fairly quickly if you try to save too many Snapshots.
    I realize this is obvious to some, but it took me a while to figure it out when one client decided they needed a daily backup of EVERYTHING DAILY - they only added 1-2 new blog posts per week..... they had 30 Snapshots before they ran out of room.... :slight_smile:
    I've used them to move sites and restore when a client tries something above their level of expertise, etc and it has saved hundreds of hours.

• William Kowalski
    • The Crimson Coder

I am glad to see this feature and have been running backups for the last several days with no issues. I'm a bit confused as to how my network, which is roughly 1 GB of data, can be turned into a 319kb zip file, though. I tried downloading this zip file and expanding it and got an error message, so apparently it's only a file type that can be used to create a restore, is that right? If so, what kind of file is it, and how does it work? Just curious. As long as it does what it should and provides a redundant layer of security in the event of a disaster, I'm happy. Thanks for adding this. If it works as advertised, it's a fantastic asset.

• Karolina
    • The Bug Hunter

Hi, nice feature I would appreciate to choose 14 days frequency. And I have a problem with one of my sites - I just can't back it up - I start by clicking but it has never finished or died with an error, could you have a look, please? on rudi.eu

• Mari

I'm running a subdomain multisite with a few mapped domains (latest WP ver.). I tried running my first backup - which took quite a while - but the only response I'm getting is "<empty response>", with no backups available. My hub shows that I haven't run any backups and my total storage used is still on "0".

I set the logs setting to "info" (as per your advice above) for all of the settings and this is what the log file says for one session:

---------------------
    [snapshot][2016-09-25 01:43:12][Info] Starting backup
    [snapshot][2016-09-25 01:46:29][Info] Created the backup and added the queues
    [snapshot][2016-09-25 01:46:41][Info] Starting backup
    [snapshot][2016-09-25 01:49:19][Info] Created the backup and added the queues
    ---------------------

By the looks of this thread, this function still has a few wrinkles that need ironing out. Snapshot itself is working like a dream, though. :slight_smile:

• Alex Stine
    • System Administrator

Hello Karolina and Mari
    Hope you both are doing well today! :slight_smile:

This is a very new service, so I thank you for your feedback here. In order to troubleshoot this further, could you please open a new ticket? Creating a new ticket helps us to troubleshoot things one on one with you.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums#question

In your ticket, please provide any relevant information from your Snapshot logs.
    /wp-content/uploads/snapshots/logs/

Have an awesome day! Cheers,
    Alex :smiley:

• NateS

I am trying the new Managed Backups on a site now. One thing I noticed is that the My Websites page is configured to point to WP-Admin and I can't find a place to change that. Maybe the ability to specify a custom wp-admin page could be put under the Options pulldown. It would also be nice to be able to manage multiple backups and backup types from the Manage Websites page. Daily DB backups/Weekly Image Backups/Monthly Full backups, etc. Last, if you manually create new Snapshots it would be cool if your Cloud Storage was in the Destination pull-down.

• Aaron
    • CTO

One thing I noticed is that the My Websites page is configured to point to WP-Admin and I can't find a place to change that.

Are all links in the hub going to the wrong admin url? Please make sure you have the latest version of the Dashboard plugin installed, it should be giving us the correct admin url as reported by your WP install.

Can I rename Snapshot files?

No sorry, the naming convention is how Snapshot detects backup files.

• Graham

I've not managed a single backup yet, and I'm so excited to try it get working. Always getting 'empty response', here are the logs - I'll open a ticket at the same time just in case it helps flag the problem.

[snapshot][2016-09-29 02:00:11][Info] Starting backup
    [snapshot][2016-09-29 02:00:12][Info] Created the backup and added the queues
    [Cron][2016-09-29 02:00:22][Info] Next process kickstart action scheduled for Thu, 29 Sep 2016 02:05:17 +0000
    [Cron][2016-09-29 02:05:21][Warning] Immediate hook misfired, kickstart backup processing
    [Cron][2016-09-29 03:05:23][Warning] Immediate hook misfired, kickstart backup processing
    [Cron][2016-09-29 04:05:19][Warning] Immediate hook misfired, kickstart backup processing
    [Cron][2016-09-29 05:05:31][Warning] Immediate hook misfired, kickstart backup processing
    [Cron][2016-09-29 06:05:21][Warning] Immediate hook misfired, kickstart backup processing
    [Cron][2016-09-29 07:05:28][Warning] Immediate hook misfired, kickstart backup processing
    [Cron][2016-09-29 08:05:26][Warning] Immediate hook misfired, kickstart backup processing
    [Cron][2016-09-29 09:05:32][Warning] Immediate hook misfired, kickstart backup processing
    [Cron][2016-09-29 10:05:54][Warning] Immediate hook misfired, kickstart backup processing
    [Cron][2016-09-29 11:05:36][Warning] Immediate hook misfired, kickstart backup processing
    [Remote][2016-09-29 11:33:30][Info] Initiate token exchange
    [Remote][2016-09-29 11:33:33][Info] Successful remote response for get-token
    [Remote][2016-09-29 11:33:33][Info] Update token with remote response
    [Remote][2016-09-29 11:33:37][Info] Successful remote response for credentials
    [Remote][2016-09-29 11:34:02][Info] Use non-expired local token
    [Remote][2016-09-29 11:34:03][Info] Successful remote response for register-settings
    [snapshot][2016-09-29 11:34:11][Info] Starting backup
    [snapshot][2016-09-29 11:34:11][Info] Created the backup and added the queues
    [snapshot][2016-09-29 11:34:40][Info] Starting backup
    [snapshot][2016-09-29 11:34:40][Info] Created the backup and added the queues
    [Remote][2016-09-30 20:37:33][Info] Initiate token exchange
    [Remote][2016-09-30 20:37:33][Info] Successful remote response for get-token
    [Remote][2016-09-30 20:37:33][Info] Update token with remote response
    [Remote][2016-09-30 20:37:35][Info] Successful remote response for credentials
    [Remote][2016-09-30 20:38:32][Info] Use non-expired local token
    [Remote][2016-09-30 20:38:33][Info] Successful remote response for register-settings
    [snapshot][2016-09-30 20:38:37][Info] Starting backup
    [snapshot][2016-09-30 20:38:38][Info] Created the backup and added the queues

• chrisatx

It was working great on a site that had almost no plugins installed.
    I've installed about 30 plugins and it started failing.

After getting help from the Forums - a chunk fix to make it play nice with CloudFlare - it's working but it's EXTREMELY SLOOOOW compared to UpdraftPlus. I've been sitting here for almost a full hour already and it's at processing step 253. A prior backup also had an 'upload error'. --- It's slowing down my site significantly, even though it's still being developed and there's hardly any traffic yet. I'm running a full SSD reseller set-up with plenty of RAM. I'm getting 40 seconds that it takes to load my site or even timing out through Cloudflare. None of that with the backup method of UD+.

I really like the idea of having backups included in my WPMU Dev membership but it needs quite a bit more polishing. Especially manual backups need to become a lot faster. As slow as it is now, we're less likely inclined to push that backup button when we're in the development process.

Maybe look at some options like what UpdraftPlus has (naming, multiple destinations, ...) to make it better and I'll gladly spend what I'm spending at UpdraftPlus for backups on WPMU Dev to support the community.

• David

I think its also important for people to realise that their choice of poor hosting could be a primary factor in their backups not working, I have several clients that insist on keeping their hosting with certain "retail" so called "fast" hosts who probably wear "gator" shoes and think theyre the "daddy" of hosting companies and frankly working on these particular sites and backing them up is a nightmare.

Don't be so quick to blame this new feature from WPMU, I for one think its a great thing, the next post down from this response looking like the classic rubbish hosting "time out" issue...

• chrisatx

Yes. It failed again. After step 253 or so.
    Aw shucks, something went wrong :slight_frown: Instead of the beautiful response we expected, we got this:
    Error
    Ray ID: 2eb------------------------321c • 2016-10-02 07:30:28 UTC

Connection timed out

• Loren

I have been using Snapshot Pro backup for a couple of weeks on a few websites. Looks good so far on all websites except one. In one case I get "<empty response>" when trying to make the initial backup.

I'll open a ticket just in case it helps flag the problem.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.