Feedback on Video Tutorial Integration with Plugins

I wanted to get some feedback from the community. All responses are welcome and will be considered, however input from freelance web designers or web developers integrating WPMU DEV premium plugins like Membership, MarketPress and Appointments+ *or* ProSites users will be most relevant in this discussion.

Over the past week we have been tossing around ideas for integrating video tutorials right in to the dashboard when a plugin is installed. An example of this would be--you install the MarketPress plugin through the WPMU Dashboard plugin and the entire tutorial series can be accessed through the dashboard to help walk you, or the end user, through set up. With ProSites this could become an even greater benefit. When one of your users upgrade their membership level, maybe because you offer access to Appointments+, when they activate A+ they also gain access to the video setup guide right inside their dashboard. Super helpful and a ton of added value.

The integration and planning of these features are still in the early stages of development, however, this brings up some questions on branding and "white labeling" of the videos:

1) Would this be of little/no value to you if the videos played as they currently exist?

2) If we removed the first and last videos and any spoken mention of WPMU DEV, our site, our dashboard and our other plugins would that be enough to make it usable?

3) Would you ONLY use this feature if we remade all of the videos removing every image and mention of WPMU… even the images from the test sites?

4) In your mind, is just removing WPMU DEV branding from the videos not enough? Would we also need to remove the plugin names (i.e. MarketPress) and replace it with generic words like eCommerce and eStore.

While we don't want to unnecessarily have the video team reproducing content (so they can continue creating NEW videos), we also want the features we incorporate into the WPMU DEV plugins to be usable to our members. Your comments, thoughts and feedback on a feature like this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for being a valued member of the WPMU DEV community!

-Your Video Team

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hiya @Joshua

@Timothy Bowers and I have been working on a project proposal that would include this, along with a host of other features to make usability and accessibility to support a consistent thing across our entire product line.

I'm finalizing the initial draft of the idea to present to the chief + devs.

Member input will be an invaluable treasure! Thanks for posting this.

Calling all members: we need ya!

• Dev4
    • Champion of Loops

I personally white label to a high degree. Even white labeling word press in some cases. For me to use the videos (other than for personal use) they would need to have all reference to wpmudev and even the plug in names removed as well as any reference to word press.

I had concluded that would be too much to ask so figured i would have to make my own.

If it turns out you can do that i would be amazed and blown away to an even greater degree than i am already. But if you can't take it to that level, i would not hold it against you.

• Gabe
    • The Bug Hunter

You guys already have great video tutorials, but I think you could definitely appeal to a wider audience if they were 100% white-labeled. The 'other' WP video tutorial sites have solid businesses built on only tutorial videos that show it's worth it and at the rate WP is growing the need will only increase. Heck, I'd even consider spinning off a special subscription just for access to the videos priced lower than the competitors. With the videos already made, it doesn't really cost you much and you get to capture devs and designers that want the videos, but may not use the plugins and benefits that come with a typical membership.

That said, definitely +1 for 100% white label options that appeal to the widest audience. You could always add the WPMU DEV intro/outro for the ones on YouTube as marketing tools.

If the videos are enabled in the dashboard when the plug is enabled you'll definitely need an 'end-user mode' or something similar. I.e. an option to hide the videos about setting up and configuring the plugin since most developers will do all of that for their clients, the clients just need to know how to use it to create a listing/appointment, etc.

This may be a long shot, but if you do white-label the videos to also target developers and designers it'd be nice if you also added a written user guide that included your plugin manuals in addition to the general written WordPress guide. That'd really help for clients who prefer reading to videos. If you really wanted to get spiffy with it, you'd allow users to add their own videos and written guides. Since the users create and host the content themselves, it's as easy as accepting a URL and embedding the content along with the other material.

• Joshua
    • Chief of Keepin' it Fresh Div.

@Dev4 Thanks for the feedback! This is why we are asking. It is on the table as of now. If we get enough +1's and decide to go in for an aggressive update anyways it will be a likely possibility that we go all the way with it.

Cheers!

• AstaLi
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

+1 100% white labels videos for setting up Marketpress.

and also 100% white label in Marketpress plugin setting page.

:slight_smile:

With the above, every member will appear to "fully own" the plugin. Right now still got some links to WPMUDev website which is appearing to wordpress registered user.

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

If the videos are enabled in the dashboard when the plug is enabled you'll definitely need an 'end-user mode' or something similar. I.e. an option to hide the videos about setting up and configuring the plugin since most developers will do all of that for their clients, the clients just need to know how to use it to create a listing/appointment, etc.

Sure, the main idea behind them in the Dash would be for multisite installs. Maybe even working for only certain Pro Site levels.

Just ideas we're knocking around :slight_smile:

• wordev
    • The Crimson Coder

hi

I'am also agree with white labeled tutorial. And even if you want in spanish, there are millions of spanish spoken people, and it increases your audience.

I am not talking about translating the plugin although would be great, but if you explain in the native language some plugin it would be easier to understand even if they are in english.

Thanks for all.

• ProSapien
    • The Crimson Coder

1) Would this be of little/no value to you if the videos played as they currently exist?

This would be of great value, since I already tend to lead my clients to your site rather than hold their hands through the process.

2) If we removed the first and last videos and any spoken mention of WPMU DEV, our site, our dashboard and our other plugins would that be enough to make it usable?

Yes, even more so.

3) Would you ONLY use this feature if we remade all of the videos removing every image and mention of WPMU… even the images from the test sites?

No, per #1, I do this already.

4) In your mind, is just removing WPMU DEV branding from the videos not enough? Would we also need to remove the plugin names (i.e. MarketPress) and replace it with generic words like eCommerce and eStore.

Yes, removing would be helpful. No need to relabel for my purposes. I am actually setting up links to your site (using my affiliate link) in promotional materials anyway.

• Lorange
    • The Incredible Code Injector

(...) they would need to have all reference to wpmudev and even the plug in names removed as well as any reference to word press.

you could definitely appeal to a wider audience if they were 100% white-labeled

Strong +1

• ken_pettit
    • Flash Drive

White label would be awesome. Also if the videos loaded on request or via AJAX. As it stands right now, preloading the videos in the Admin drawer make them unusable for me. When people are in admin. They want to get stuff done, not wait for a resource to load that they most likely won't use on a daily basis.

• qtree-systems
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

White label would be the best solution. Anything short of that would still be usable, but white label would work in every situation.

I would also LOVE to see your teaser video’s white labeled so we could use them in our sales process.. This actually would be an amazing help to our sales. When a client googles something, and finds they can buy it for $19, it makes it difficult for us to get the right margins on the product.

We are new to your community, but plan on featuring your themes and plugins… we definitely want to use our brand to do it.

Thanks for the great work,

Steve

• stewart_anderson
    • Flash Drive

Not to drop another company's name into the conversation but WP101 has fleshed out something modeled similarly to this, so it might be worth checking out their options as a way to model WPMUDev's plans for videos/white label tutorials.

Regardless, this sounds like an excellent idea. In my opinion, removal of WPMUDev references is a must, plugin names are a near-must and Wordpress mentions are a nice-but-not-essential.

• Sonia
    • New Recruit

A huge +1 from me on having white label video tutorials integrated into the dashboard with the installation of new plugins, love the idea! Your videos are professional and informative, would be awesome to have them white labelled. Bring it on I say :slight_smile:

I see the last post for this topic was 5 months ago, I really hope this idea hasn't been squashed.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.