Few question from beginner about directory

Hi,

I have few question about directory, please have a look:

1) Have to I manually copy the theme "default" from plugin to themes folder?
I just did this, but default is a name of another wp themes, and I have to rename the folder to katalog ... /vyrabimevcr.cz/wp-content/themes/ ... Is this OK?

2) Can I do childtheme from default theme?
I just want do some change, and I dont want loose them during the plugin upgrade..

3) Will the theme do automatic update?
Because I copy it manually to theme folder as I wrote above.

4) Make a URL (custom fields) active link
I would like to have a active link to the website from custom fields URL, where I will collect the URLs. It is possible?

5) Translation of the plugin
I just have finished translation of theme and it works. But it seems like plugin translation don't work: I created files cs_CZ.po and cs_CZ.mo from dr_text_domain.po and uploaded to same folder and nothing :slight_frown: Do I here something wrong?

Thank you,

Radek

• Michelle Shull

Hi, Radek! Hope you're well today!

I have answers for all your questions. :slight_smile:

1. You don't HAVE to use the default theme if you don't want to, you can use any theme you like. You're right, there's a bit of an error in that file's name, so what you're actually seeing is the very first WordPress theme ever created, because it's also called default. You did the exact right thing by renaming the Directory default theme. Good work!

2. Sure! Have you made a child theme before? We've got a great blog post on it if not, here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/how-to-create-wordpress-child-theme/

3. It's fairly unlikely the directory default theme will get an update, but you should get a notification alert, like any other update, if one is available. If you're using auto-updates, it should be fine.

4. You can use our very handy Custom Press to add a custom field to the Directory Listing custom post type. https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/custompress/. If you open up CustomPress, you'll see Listings are already recognized as a custom post type. If you go to Content Types > Custom Fields, you can create whatever kind of field you need, and connect it only to the Listing post type. Does this make sense? Check out the Usage guide for a more in-depth overview: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/custompress/#product-usage

Custom Press is a pretty robust tool, if you're new to custom post types, keep your attention focused on just adding a new custom field, don't even worry about the other tabs for now. :slight_smile:

5. If you uploaded those files to the /languages folder in the plugin itself, try moving those to the wp-content/languages/ folder instead, sometimes that's the key to getting it to work. Have you already added language support in your wp-config.php file? Or are you using a translation plugin that adds language support for you? Let me know if moving the translation files to a different folder doesn't work. (FYI - you only need the .mo file in the language folder. The .po is human-readable, the .mo is machine readable. Having both in your language folder won't hurt anything, but all you need is the .mo.

Thanks for your questions! Have fun with Directory!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.