Few questions about domain mapping

Quite curious about this mapping plugin.
- WIll this domain mapping be considered as content duplication in Google point of view?
- Can I use this mapping tool on a reseller hosting account(I have 2 nameserver IPs) How about a VPS?
- When visitors enter the mapped url(his-own-domain.com) in their browser, will the browser redirect the address bar to the original script(blog1.blogger.com) or visitors will still see a masked domain(his-own-domain.com) in the address bar?
Thanks

• hucknallite
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

The domain mapping plugin just makes the site appear under the domain name rather than under the subdomain of a multisite.

So, if the site is

subdomain.maindomain.com

you can map this to appear at

specialdomainname.com instead.

The domain mapping plugin just makes the site look as if it is independent from the multi-user set up so it appears under its own domain name.

When it is set up if anyone types subdomain.maindomain.com into the browser they go to the specialdomainname.com address straight away.

There is no content duplication and that wouldn't be an issue anyway. Not sure about how links to the subdomain address would affect SEO.

The plugin certainly works on a VPS. Not so sure about a reseller. I suspect it would be fine, though it seems not to be a good idea to run a multisite on a shared host.

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

There is no content duplication and that wouldn't be an issue anyway. Not sure about how links to the subdomain address would be affected.

I should think it would use a 301 moved permanently to avoid penalties in search engines.

I know some plugins like BuddPress (BP bar) still link to the subdomain version but it would just forward in. :slight_smile:

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

I think you misread what I wrote Jamiescott. hucknallite said he wasn't sure how links to sub domains would be affected. I then went on to say that I should imagine that it would use some kind of 301 to tell search engines and browsers that the url is now a tld not a sub.

That was the purpose of me quoting is text before my response.

Also, how does my client(blogger) configure the IP for his domain name(his-own-domain.com)? is it configured in his Cpanel or domain control panel? Where and what does he key in?

Depends on how they use their domain, I would imagine if they have cPanel they might not need a blog somewhere else (they would most likely have their own site there) but yes cPanel can have simple and advanced DNS options, this is really down to the hosting provider.

If they are with a company like Hostgator they can make DNS changes with the provider. Some domain registration companies require users to contact them for changes, some don't allow changes.

Basically they need to enter a A record or use CNAME:

For Cpanel users
    If your domain uses the nameservers on your hosting account you should follow these instructions. If the nameservers are elsewhere change the A record or CNAME as documented above. Add a wildcard subdomain/virtual host record to your site's DNS record in Web Host Manager (WHM). If you do not have access to WHM, you must email your web host and ask them to make this one change for you. Should be no problem:

Go to "Edit DNS Zone" and select the domain of your WPMU installation and click "Edit".
    Below "Add New Entries Below This Line", enter in the first box (Domain) an asterisk: "*".
    The second box, TTL, should be "14400".
    The third box should be "IN".
    Select A Record Type from the drop down "A".
    And in the last box, paste in the IP address of your website/network.
    From Cpanel, click on the "Parked Domains" under the "Domains" section:

Under "Create a New Parked Domain" enter the domain name you want to add to your network.
    Click the "Add Domain" button.
    It should add the domain to the list of parked domains and under "Redirect to" it will say "not redirected". That is OKAY.
    Now you're ready to do your domain mapping.

Instructions taken form a different plugin but the principal is the same:

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wordpress-mu-domain-mapping/installation/

• jamiescott
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Depends on how they use their domain, I would imagine if they have cPanel they might not need a blog somewhere else (they would most likely have their own site there) but yes cPanel can have simple and advanced DNS options, this is really down to the hosting provider.
    If they are with a company like Hostgator they can make DNS changes with the provider. Some domain registration companies require users to contact them for changes, some don't allow changes.
    Basically they need to enter a A record or use CNAME:

Hi Tim, encountered a confusion here. Here's what I want to achieve:
    I want to mask george.com with georgeblog.wpmu.com
    George.com has its own whm/cpanel account in hostgator.com.

So i this the procedure?
    1. george.com's WHM -> Edit DNS Zone> * 14400 IN A "IP of WPMU.com"
    2. In wpmu.com Cpanel, add Parked Domain: george.com(no www)

But I encountered this error during the Add Parked domain above:
    "Error from park wrapper: hybrid.com.my is owned by another user."

Sorry for the confusion but Im really confused.

Thanks very much.

Jamie

• jamiescott

My question is simple. Its just how to configure the domains in order to use the plugin.

PS. Can I request other members that do not understand much about this not to reply as it confused me more on setting this up. I know you need points but its making my request being abandoned by the support staffs because they thought you have answered my question. Thanks anyway.

• wpcdn
    • Syntax Hero

My question is simple. Its just how to configure the domains in order to use the plugin.

Although it's straightforward, many users are intimidated by this.

All you have to do is change the A record to point to the WPMU installation's IP address.

The procedure you've described above does not seem correct, assuming that the "george" example is the client who wants to map a domain to your wpmu installation.

You've described setting up a wildcard domain record, which is not what your users would do to achieve mapping. There is no need to set up a wildcard or park a domain to map it.

All George would do is find the A record for his domain, which (in theory) would currently point to the IP of his existing website at HostGator. He would simply change the IP address for that A record to point to the IP address of your WP multisite installation.

Of course, not all users will have cPanel or WHM, or have the ability to manage their domains in such a control panel. Some users will need to handle this at their domain registrar. Registars generally provide a web interface for doing this.

Hope this helps.

Mark

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hiya guys,

Sorry none of us have chipped in here - we tend to concentrate on threads that don't have a response but we are working on a way to monitor threads that haven't received a 'staff' response to avoid this situation.

Jamie, I'm going to first address your original questions;

- WIll this domain mapping be considered as content duplication in Google point of view?

No. Domain mapping uses a 301 redirect. However, that 301 will only be produced if people access subsite.multisite.com. Going to subsite.com will not produce any redirect.

- Can I use this mapping tool on a reseller hosting account(I have 2 nameserver IPs) How about a VPS?

Yes in theory. So long as you are able to set up a wildcard server alias and wildcard DNS the domain mapping plugin should work absolutely fine on any server.

- When visitors enter the mapped url(his-own-domain.com) in their browser, will the browser redirect the address bar to the original script(blog1.blogger.com) or visitors will still see a masked domain(his-own-domain.com) in the address bar?

They will see his-own-domain.com.

How does my client(blogger) configure the IP for his domain name(his-own-domain.com)? is it configured in his Cpanel or domain control panel?

When your client visits Tools > Domain Mapping he will be given some instructions. He will need to edit the DNS. Where depends on his registrar and where the DNS is hosted.

Where and what does he key in?

He will need to create an A record using the IP address clearly display in Tools > Domain Mapping.

So i this the procedure?
    1. george.com's WHM -> Edit DNS Zone> * 14400 IN A "IP of WPMU.com"
    2. In wpmu.com Cpanel, add Parked Domain: george.com(no www)

The second step shouldn't be necessary if you have wildcards setup correctly. However, that's something you'll need to check with your host I'm afraid.

I hope that helps. If any of that is unclear, let me know and we'll work through it together.

Apologies again for missing the thread.

Phil

• jamiescott

Hi Phil, I hope you can help me here. I have seen the screencast for setting up domain mapping.
    Its for namecheap domain configuration. I need to know the configuration for Cpanel hosted domain(eg. subsite.com). Subsite.com will be mapped to subsite.multisite.com. I have to use Cpanel to redirect because subsite.com is other country top level domain name registrar.

Thanks very much for your help. :slight_smile:

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

I haven't used Cpanel in a long time so this might be difficult.... I'll get the other guys to chip in as they might be able to help.

In the meantime, when you log into CPanel look for anything that says DNS. Let me know what's available and we'll see where we can go...

Phil

• wpcdn
    • Syntax Hero

I need to know the configuration for Cpanel hosted domain(eg. subsite.com).

I posted a screenshot showing this in WHM (since you mentioned that George has a WHM account). Was this not helpful?

Just change the IP address of the domain's main A record to point to the IP of your WordPress multisite installation. It is literally that simple. (Well, of course, George also needs to enter his domain under Domain Mapping in his WordPress Dashboard.)

Wildcard domains (*) have nothing to do with mapping from the end-user standpoint. The end user just needs to change the A record. That's it.

Mark

• jamiescott

I followed what wpcdn said and when I access george.multisite.com, I am redirected to george.com.
    When I access george.com, I only see index of.. page(cpanel default hosting page).

It should be working the other way and it should not be a redirect.
    I just want my users to see george.multisite.com Wordpress content when they access george.com.

Thanks.

• jamiescott

My host is not adding the dns entries into the httpd.conf for me.
    Does that means I have to get a Dedicated IP address and DNS hosting in order to setup the wildcard?

Phil, can I pay you to get this done for me? I need to get it done asap.

Thanks.

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

My host is not adding the dns entries into the httpd.conf for me.

DNS and httpd.conf are two separate things which modified together enable multisite to work with subdomains.

Who are you hosting with? Have you asked them about enabling wildcard subdomains with reference to the Codex page I linked to?

I'm afraid that's not the sort of thing we can really do for you, but you could always try the job board.

Phil

• wpcdn
    • Syntax Hero

I followed what wpcdn said and when I access george.multisite.com, I am redirected to george.com.
    When I access george.com, I only see index of.. page(cpanel default hosting page)

My instructions are right, so something else must be out of whack.

Does that means I have to get a Dedicated IP address and DNS hosting in order to setup the wildcard?

Do you mean for George's end or your multisite installation? If your multisite is subdomain-based, you should have a dedicated IP. You shouldn't have to "get" DNS hosting. The DNS hosting that's part of your web hosting should cover it.

If it's possible, you might want to start over from scratch. (I don't know if your site is live or in test mode.) The procedures necessary to set all this up are actually just a couple of easy steps.

BTW, in many cases you don't need to touch httpd.conf to do any of this. With cPanel and WHM, all the necessary DNS-related steps can be done in the cPanel/WHM interface. I've set up a few multisite installations that all have mapping, and I never touched httpd.conf.

Mark

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.