Field Type Support

I need to add in additional fields to the Field Type area for the CustomPress plugin, such as upload. Is this possible, and if so, do you have any resources or a best approach method?

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Dominick,

Welcome to WPMU DEV!

Thank you for the great question which is certainly appreciated though it appears to be custom coding which is beyond the scope of the support we provide here, but we do try to help if we can and/or know the answer.

With that said, I will see if I can get the lead developer in here with his invaluable insight into this plugin for his advice/advise for us.

Though this may take a bit longer then a normal ticket, I will try to get him in here asap.

Cheers, Joe

• Arnold
    • El Macho WP

It’s not likely we’d ever do a File Inout field for custompress. You’re asking for more than just storing a string of data now. A text input can be either empty or contain a string and you can display string in the same input tag that you used to fill in hte blank

With a File there is an assumed input, but what do you output? The string of the file name? That’s what you do in All the other fields. Oh you want it to display the photo now. Then how do you edit it if you want to change it? If I show the photo does clicking on it show the editor or do you want the image to expand. What if it wasn’t an image but an MP4, or a zip. Now what do I do with it.

So say it’s just an image. Where do I put the meta data for the image like the Title, Alt text, pixel size. Oh you want a link on the image as well?

Point is while it sounds like a simple request you’re really talking about a media manager to manage manipulate and display files. That’s beyond the scope of a custom type manager.

One is already built into WordPress so why not use it? Or one of the Gallery manager plugins?

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Arnold,

Thank you so kindly sir for clarifying these items for us and showing us the ways of the wise and the reasons why it is not done in this manner.

Hopefully our member Dominick will appreciate the advice as much as I have.

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.