Fighting with WordPress MU Permissions

Hello!
well I don't know, but I had problems with Word Press in this month that I don't had in my entire life. :slight_smile:
Anyway, I have a network. In my main site, I created a new role called "Designer" and gave it permissions to access and manage everything, except of users-related permissions.
Unfortunately, I can't access to some pages with this user now, such as my theme controll panel, custom press settings, and some other plugins settings too.
The error I see is: "You do not have sufficient permissions to access this page"
I updated the Designer role and gave it all permissions to see if I can solve the problem, no luck.
I created a new user with administrator role, but also I couldn't manage to fix this weird problem.
The only solution I know to solve this problem is to make this user super administrator, which is not an option as you know.
I'm waiting for your help, thank you in advanced.

• Sajid
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hi @ABDULAZIZ ALSHMASI

Hope you are doing good today :slight_smile:

If the administrator is also not able to access theme pages then there must be some thing wrong with permissions.

edit_theme_options and edit_themes capability should be assigned to this user to access themes page using user role editor plugin. The best way is make a copy of existing relevant user role and make changes their instead of creating new role without any capabilities.
    https://wordpress.org/plugins/user-role-editor/

What plugin you are using to edit user permissions ?

Take care and have a nice day :slight_smile:

Cheers, Sajid

• Sajid
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hi @ABDULAZIZ ALSHMASI

Lets try to solve it one by one. First to access themes area do the following. To access, switch, delete and edit themes you need following capabilities assigned to your user role.
    1. switch_themes
    2. edit_themes
    3. edit_theme_options
    4. delete_themes

For plugins and settings menu you need to assign manage_options capability.

You can find more details about user roles and capabilities here.
    https://codex.wordpress.org/Roles_and_Capabilities

Let me know how it goes :slight_smile:

Cheers, Sajid

• ABDULAZIZ ALSHMASI
      • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hello @Sajid
      The user now is an administrator, I deleted the "Designer" role just to see what's the problem exactly.
      Even if the user is administrator, I can't go to the theme settings page or some of my plugins settings. But, everything work like a charm when giving the user super administrator privileges.

• Sajid
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hi @ABDULAZIZ ALSHMASI

I can not replicate this issue on my sandbox/test site. Can you please grant support access so I can take a closer look and note down the steps to replicate on my site ? You can grant support access by following the steps mentioned in this manual.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Take care and have a nice day :slight_smile:

Cheers, Sajid

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.