File upload/download site using WP and plugins

Team,

I am trying to create an "upload / download" site for sharing large files. Currently, we just email the files back and forth, but I wanted to try and use WordPress to make an "megaupload-like" site that I could use to share large files with my clients. What plugins do you suggest that would allow me to do this?

Andy

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hiya Andy!

Hmm I've never really come across anything for that purpose.

First things first, you will come up against server limits set in your server and PHP config.

The most recent thing I could find was this thread which amongst other things recommends Amazon S3 and DropBox as possible solutions:
    http://ask.metafilter.com/159845/Is-there-a-Wordpress-Plugin-to-allow-users-to-upload-large-files-to-my-server-space

Cheers,
    Phil

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya Andy,

I think the trouble you'll have is with larger file sizes is bandwidth - both in terms of the amount it uses and times taken to upload or download files.

You might consider actually hosting the files somewhere else, like Amazon S3 for example. Perhaps something like this would help get ya started:
    http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/amazon-s3-simple-upload-form/

Anybody else have a suggestion here?

Thanks!

• andreweick
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Team -- thanks for the replies

At first I was thinking of using your "membership" and "wiki" plugins together so that I can create groups of users, and then use the wiki plugin to enable them to upload and download files from. Does your wiki plugin allow users to upload large files (subject to php.ini size limits)

I don't want to use S3 or dropbox because my customers require that I have the content on servers I control (and not amazon or dropbox servers...)

THANKS

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya andreweick,

At first I was thinking of using your "membership" and "wiki" plugins together so that I can create groups of users, and then use the wiki plugin to enable them to upload and download files from.

That solution should work. The wiki plugin just creates a custom post type and uses the default WordPress upload limits for file types and sizes. You can edit this through your normal WordPress settings.

Are you planning on charging for access to the different content? If not, membership might be overkill for this. You can just as easily make the site private so that only logged in users can view/download the content. You could also do BuddyPress 'groups' that would allow for separate 'private' portals so to speak.

Hope this helps!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.