File / uploaded document + page protection not working

Hello,
It might be something I have setup wrong, but I can't seem to get protection of uploaded files working properly.

For example I have two different users who need to see / access different downloads.

The shortcodes work fine for showing / hiding editor based content for these two users, but what isn't working is:

1) Member only page (both users can see both pages if they know url - that's not what I am hoping for)

2) File protection. In the media window I inserted downloads into the pages and protected the content, but in fact both users can't download the files.

Sorry - confused. I have used the plugin before successfully, but only when it was simpler and there was only 1 user type / level.
Now this site has different content for different groups of users.

I am thinking it's my configuration error.

If you could take a look for me that would be great.

I have granted access to the site, and you are welcome to create a test user for each of the groups.

Many thanks
Paul

• Michael Bissett

Hey @Paul Lacey, my apologies for the delay here!

I'm seeing that you're using Positive rules on one level, and Negative rules on another. I'd try switching to only Positive rules across all of the levels on your site.

One reason being that you're actually blocking access to downloads inside of the JL downloads group inside of your JL access level, due to Negative rules being used there.

1) Member only page (both users can see both pages if they know url - that's not what I am hoping for)

With Positive rules, you can remedy this by not checking the box for the applicable "Client Area" page in the "Pages" rule (e.g. don't check the box for the "Client Area: JL" page in the "Pages" rule for the "Cool Grey Cat" level).

2) File protection. In the media window I inserted downloads into the pages and protected the content, but in fact both users can't download the files.

Like I said earlier, once you've switched to Positive rules inside of the JL level, that should fix your problems with that level. I was able to download files from the "Cool Grey Cat" client area with the test user I created (I had assigned that "Cool Grey Cat" subscription to that particular user, it's "wpmudev_michael_test1" if you're curious).

I had also noticed that a couple of your users had multiple subscriptions & levels assigned to them, I'm curious as to whether that might be part of the problem as well.

After making the changes I suggested above, you may wish to try creating a pair of test users of your own, and assigning each one the appropriate subscription (I created a test subscription for your JL level, you can use that one if you wish).

Let me know if I can be of further assistance here please! :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Michael

• Paul Lacey

Hi Michael

Thanks for your help. In the end the solution wasn't exactly what you said, but your suggestions took me totally in the correct direction. Up to that point, I had started to become like a monkey trying to write the works of Shakespeare (or just hitting random buttons in desperation).

BTW did you actually successfully download an actual file? Or rather were able to see them on the file list page?

Regardless, in the end I took your advice and did a big clean up on the multiple levels / subscriptions I had applied to my users (that was the random pressing at it's best there :wink:
    So that was great, now I can see it's clean.

And finally, the solution I needed was the advanced tab for the access level rules. Combining positive and negative.
    1) Positive rule for downloads - E.g. JL can see JL downloads
    2) Combined with negative rules for pages - E.g. JL can't see cool grey cat page

That seemed to work for me. Don't feel obliged to answer, but is there some dumb logic on my solution there? It seemed in the end the best way to link an access level to a specific download set, but to not lock that access level user out of almost every page on the site without having to tick them all in positive rules.

I'll stop talking now, I don't think I am even making sense to myself :wink:

Thanks Michael. You really helped me arrive at the desired outcome.

Many many thanks!

Cheers
    Paul

ps how does that points thing work then? You know this "Give points" thing?

• Ash

Hello @Paul Lacey

I hope you are well today. Glad to know that you found the solution :slight_smile:

About the points, each time you post a reply you earn 1 point. And when you will have 5000 points, you can claim for lifetime membership :slight_smile:

Also, you can gift points to anyone. So, if you have 20 points, you can gift maximum 20 points to someone.

Ohh one more thing, to claim life time membership 400 pts out of 5000 pts needs to be gifted by others :slight_smile:

Cheers
    Ash

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.