Filtering content for members and visitors

Hi me again!

Sorry, but I'm trying to get my head around what I want done.

My website in premium mode has access to a link on the menu for Exclusive Content. This is a link to a category, so that it shows a blog with just posts with Exclusive Content as the category.

What I'm finding, though, is that on my home page, in visitor mode, the post - with exclusive content as the category - is visible when I don't want it to be.

I need a way to filter the blog on the home page that it shows everything except posts with exclusive content as the category.

I would also like to put widgets on the side that show recent posts and recent tags on the home page that does not include ones with exclusive content as the category, and then, when a member clicks on the exclusive content menu link, they will see the content with the recent posts/recent tags filtered to ONLY exclusive content category posts.

I hope that all makes sense.

Basically, I don't want the EC posts visible to visitors on the home page, but I would like members to see them PLUS the widgets I mentioned.

Thanks!

• Tyler Postle

Hey Joel,

Hope you're doing well today and thanks for your question!

Using the category access rules here should be taking those posts out of the blog page. It should also be taking them out of the recent posts widget too.

Do you have it setup as a negative rule in your visitor access level?

Do you mind granting support access so we can take a closer look at your membership settings?

You can grant support access via admin dashboard - WPMU DEV > Support > Support Access > Grant Access.

Then we ca investigate the issue :slight_smile:

Look forward to hearing back!

All the best,
    Tyler

• Tyler Postle

Hey Joel,

Thanks for your patience!

Right, I remember you getting the internal server error from before.

Do you mind sending in your FTP info? I'll go in and tinker, and just in-case I do get the internal server again then I can temporarily deactivate the plugin via FTP to get access back. Unless you didn't lose access completely, was it just the category page that gave internal server?

If you do send FTP in then you can send it through our private contact form: https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Send in:

Subject: "Attn: Tyler Postle"
    -WordPress admin username
    -WordPress admin password
    -login url
    -FTP credentials (host/username/password)
    -link back to this thread for reference
    -any other relevant urls

Select "I have a different question" for your topic - this and the subject line ensure that it gets assigned to me :slight_smile:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

The WP login isn't exactly necessary since you granted support access but if it expires then we won't have to ask again to get it back, up to you!

Just want to make sure that if I tinker with the categories I won't bring your whole site down :p look forward to hearing back.

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Joel

I'll give you the FTP info, but here's what happens. If I have that category exception in the Visitor level, it's fine if I view site as a "Premium" member (not login, mind) its ok, because Visitor doesn't activate. But if I view site as a "Visitor", it gives me the Internal Server Error. I notice it does this elsewhere in the dashboard, if there is some kind of conflict.

I'll send you the FTP info.

• Tyler Postle

Hey Joel,

Thanks for sending in the credentials. I just tested it out and that is very odd, something is not right.

Have you already tried switching themes while having the category rule in place? I forget if we tried that earlier.

Also, the FTP credentials you sent in didn't work so I wasn't able to do any plugin tests. I'll respond to that email so you can reply back just to double check the FTP creds.

Can you check your server error log? You should be able to access it in your cPanel. Let me know which errors it is showing :slight_smile:

Look forward to hearing back!

All the best,
    Tyler

PS. You can also try just deleting then re-installing Membership.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.