Finalizing installation by "viewing your site in a web browser"?

Hi.

I followed the instructions for the first time install of WordPress on WPMU and it was great — until this:

“8. Dragging the code from the WordPress folder on your computer into the root directory of your site uploads the WordPress code to your site.” I did that, and didn’t see any errors, all the files seemed to move over, etc.

But this never happened: “However it doesn’t complete your WordPress installation. Check this by viewing your site in a web browser – you should now see instructions for finalizing your installation of WordPress.”

I went to the domain and the temp ISP domain and got “this is the future home” and nothing else.

What did I do wrong, and how do I fix it?

Thanks.

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi phillyvotes and welcome to WPMU DEV!

This possibly could have to do with domain name propagation, which does take a moment. One way to check on that would be to access the site directly by IP. Have you tried that by any chance?

Also, possibly the easiest way to check that the site is properly setup at this point so that you can begin working with WordPress would be to place a basic text html in the root and try and access the site to see it.

Could you give that a go?

Cheers,

David

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hmm, one other thing to consider, many web hosts these days provide various ways to install WordPress. Often times, they’ll have fantastico or scripts like Simple Scripts that can auto-install and configure it for you.

Have you taken a look to see if that’s available with your site?

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.