Find Friends Search Broken in v1.2.1

Just updated the Friends plugin and discovered that Messaging is now required? Uhh, OK…

Probably unrelated since that appears to be working fine, but the Find Friends function is now broken. The search returns a blank white page. Probably because it returns an url like this:

/wp-admin/admin.php?search_terms=wyatt

I’m no developer, but shouldn’t there be some &page= in there?

After trial and error, manually typing the following returned proper search results:

/wp-admin/admin.php?page=find-friends&search_terms=wyatt

Also, in this case, the user wyatt is already a friend but the results page shows him as “pending”. His avatar does appear in the other user’s widget, so this is a little confusing. Please tell me messages have now been sent to all our users who have added Friends.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings jcnjr,

Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention.

I have been able to replicate the issue on my test production server and will be alerting the lead developer of this issue right away and we look forward to getting it sorted out asap.

Cheers, Joe

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

jcnjr, The Messaging plugin is not requires. But is suggested as a better alternate to the built-in message feature of the Friends plugin.

You are correct on the malformed URL on the find friends search. Not sure how that was altered. This worked correctly in early testing. Will have a patch for you today.

As for the Pending listing. This will also be corrected. Notifications will have gone out for friend requests.

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

jcnjr,

Just getting back to this issue. I’ve patched the code for the search. You can download the beta version for 1.2.2 here http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2616987/WPMUDev/friends-1.2.2-Beta2.zip

As for the messaging I checked the older versions of Friends. Seems without the Messaging plugin installed you cannot sent message. When you don’t have the other plugin installed you don’t even see the ‘Send Message’ option in the friends listing. My change was to this logic was if you have the Messaging plugin installed when you click ‘Send Message’ you are taken directly to the Messaging page where you can fill in the subject and message content instead of what was offered prior with was a single line of message text.

As for the Friend search itself I updated the logic properly show the Add, Pending and not show anything for existing friends. I did add a checkbox on the search to show existing Friends. I also show the user avatar on the output listing. In my opinion this needs more output cleanup

Would appreciate some feedback on the beta and/or any other issues with the plugin. I inherited this plugin was another developer who has since left our company. So not sure on the history or some of the logic used.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.