Finish paying with Paypal Express when out of MyCRED points?

So originally we were going to use Paypal Payflow but decided to go with the Express checkout to simplify things. When testing the Payflow the site would automatically let the user complete paying with Paypal if the user was over their credit points. However with Express it only allows either/or. Is there a way to configure it to use both? I've looked through settings and couldn't find anything. Thanks for the help!

Jim

• Vinod Dalvi
    • WP Unicorn

Hi @Jim,

I hope you are well today and thank you for your question.

Unfortunately it's not doable with MarketPress itself. They basically need to make sure they have enough credits before purchasing. Basically the MarketPress checkout can't use two gateways on the same transaction.

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV member and have a great day!

Cheers.

• Jim
    • New Recruit

That's disappointing but I'll do what I have to do. To me it's a fundamental flaw. I can understand with trying to use 2 credit card gateways but doesn't make sense with a credit system. To me it would be the same mindset as saying if you don't have a coupon for the exact amount of your purchase you have to pay full price. Thank you for the follow-up.

• Aaron
    • CTO

All gateways are distinct, you can't spread a checkout across multiple gateways. It's all or nothing for the gateway the user chooses. So i'm not sure how you supposedly accomplished that before.

To handle this, the only way it to code a custom gateway that merges the functionalities of more than one. Example I once made a modified paypal express gateway for a client that allowed the user to change the checkout total via a slider (suggested donations). But this is beyond what we can support here, unless you have specific API questions.

• Jim
    • New Recruit

I've been meaning to come back to this and didn't see Aarons response. Aaron, I agree to the point of multiple payment gateways but I have to go back to my original analogy. Yes, I understand having treating gateways separately however MyCred shouldn't be treated like a gateway. It should be treated more like a gift card. If I go onto say, Amazon I'm able to apply gift cards and use them - like credits - towards my purchase. If I use my than the gift card, I'm able to use my credit card for the remainder. A credit system any other way, is honestly useless. I'm going to keep this open in hopes of seeing a change that could be used quite readily.

Thanks,
    Jim

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.