Minor CSS issues

Hi!

First of all: support access is granted, so you guys can deactivate the coming soon page to see the links provided.

I have some minor CSS issues, listed below:
1-http://www.wheelofcommerce.com/stores/
I want to place the search box aligned with the all stores and my stores buttons at the left, have the search button beside the box and the order by part below the search box.

2-http://www.wheelofcommerce.com/members/username/stores/
At the bottom of the page there's a "Viewing 1 site" that needs to be placed in the right position.

3-http://www.wheelofcommerce.com/testaccount5/
At the bottom of the page you can see "Copyright ©2014 username"; instead of username, it should be Wheel of Commerce in all pages.

Thanks.

• Tyler Postle

Hey Gabriel,

Thanks again for stopping by the chat!

1-http://www.wheelofcommerce.com/stores/
    I want to place the search box aligned with the all stores and my stores buttons at the left, have the search button beside the box and the order by part below the search box.

#blog-dir-search label {
    display: inline !important;
    }

#buddypress div.dir-search {
        margin: 0 auto 0 225px !important;
        position: absolute;
        width: 280px;
    }

#buddypress div.dir-search input[type="text"] {
    padding: 3px !important;
    }

#buddypress div#subnav.item-list-tabs {
    width 35%;
    margin: 0 auto;
    }

2-http://www.wheelofcommerce.com/members/username/stores/
    At the bottom of the page there's a "Viewing 1 site" that needs to be placed in the right position.

#blog-dir-count-bottom {
    float; right;
    }

3-http://www.wheelofcommerce.com/testaccount5/
    At the bottom of the page you can see "Copyright ©2014 username"; instead of username, it should be Wheel of Commerce in all pages.

This actually isn't a CSS issue. Whenever it comes to replacing text, it won't be CSS - CSS is just for design/styling changes; however, this looks like it will be easily changed via General settings. It's still taking your "Store Title", the store title just happens to be the username.

I have attached a screenshot, it's for test account 2 but the same field will apply for test account 5 and any other site on the network :slight_smile:

If you are wanting it to all be the same name, then you will need to change that in the template file. Likely in the footer.php file of your theme, there will be some copyright code to bring in the store title, remove that and replace it with Wheel of Commerce.

We can do this for you, but we will need FTP access. You can send it in via our private contact form:

Send in:

Subject: "Attn: Tyler Postle"
    FTP host
    FTP username
    FTP password

You can send in WP login as well if you want, but it's not required since you have granted access :slight_smile:

Be sure to select "I have a different question" for your topic as that and the subject line ensure it gets assigned to me.

Hope that helps Gabriel! Look forward to hearing back.

All the best,
    Tyler

• Wheel of Commerce

Hi, man! Thanks for answering.

The first 2 issues are still there (I checked with firefox); the search box just changed its position, but it's still weird, I looked at the code you gave me but just saw stuff that determined the size of the box, not its position.
    Regarding the 3rd issue, I look at the footer options that come with my theme and didn't find anything; I also searched for a line of code referring to "copyright" but also didn't find a thing.

Feel free to access the site through FTP. The login data was sent to you guys already (some days ago, the first time you asked for it), it has your name in the subject line.

These changes are supposed to work for every browser, right? If they work at least for Chrome, Firefox and IE, that's enough for me.

Thanks again.

• Wheel of Commerce

Hi!

For the first issue, here's what I'm talking about: http://minus.com/i/1Vefoa5OTyEq. That sort of thing happens at some pages, I was wondering if that is a way to fix it for all of them instead of doing it individually for each page -this "Viewing 1-n pages" issue was fixed for one of my pages before, but persists at /members/username/stores/ and maybe some other pages I'm not aware of.

Regarding the "Copyright" thing, I didn't find the © at footer.php. Can't that involve another file?

I somebody can help me with that, here's my other thread that involves some other CSS issues (it hasn't been answered since Wednesday):
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/changes-regarding-the-buddypress-profile-pic#post-760766

Thanks. :slight_smile:

• Michelle Shull

Hi, Gabriel!

Issue #1:

Try adding a large left margin, since floating it right doesn't appear to do anything. I'd try a percentage, rather than a number of pixels, so it'll look consistent across screen sizes, like so:

margin-left: 75%;

Tweak that until it looks right for you.

That copyright symbol was supposed to be the ASCII code for the symbol, but it keeps parsing it. Here's a link that will have the actual code: http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/143/copyright-and-trademark-symbols-in-html/

Your other thread will come up in the queue soon. I'd hoped we had that one resolved. We've been very busy, so there is a large backfeed right now. We'll help you with the additional custom code you want as soon as that thread makes it to the top of the queue.

Have a great Saturday, Gabriel.

• Tyler Postle

Hey Gabriel,

Hope you're doing well today!

I just went in and resolved the copyright issue. The function was hidden inside the core.php file.

Located: /wp-content/themes/pro3/functions/core.php

It was on line 65. You will want to make note of that for future reference, or just save a copy of that file :slight_smile:

It's changed in the pro3 parent theme so you will need to update it if you update the theme.

Here's the line before:

echo apply_filters( 'func_mpt_load_footer_text' , '<p>'. __( 'Copyright &copy;' , 'pro' ) .$date.' '.$sitename.' | '.__( 'Designed by' , 'pro' ).' <a href="http://www.marketpressthemes.com"><b>MarketPressThemes.com</b></a></p>' );

Here's the line after:

echo apply_filters( 'func_mpt_load_footer_text' , '<p>'. __( 'Copyright &copy;' , 'pro' ) .$date.' Wheel of Commerce | '.__( 'Designed by' , 'pro' ).' <a href="http://www.marketpressthemes.com"><b>MarketPressThemes.com</b></a></p>' );

Hope this helps and let us know if any further questions come up!

All the best,
    Tyler

• Wheel of Commerce

Hi! Thanks for answering. :slight_smile:

I'm trying to figure out how to have the modified core.php working on my child theme. I've tried uploading that hole functions folder (except for core.php) and adding the editted core.php in it, but it didn't work. I'd rather have in working in the child, this way I won't need to remake this modification everytime the theme is updated. Any ideas?

Thanks again. :slight_smile:

• Wheel of Commerce

There are some "CSS errors" that appeared out of nowhere in my site. I reuploaded the parent theme, but they're still there. You can see, for instance, weird points at the right side of the header and the elements of the login box all out of place. Support access is active -though you guys usually get some sort of bug when trying to access the site, so you have to try like 2-3 times for it to work.

Thanks again.

• Patrick

@Gabriel

Likely all your issues are due to the fact that your child-theme appears to be corrupted.

First of all, it is not present in the themes library in the network admin.

Also, it would appear that your style.css file is found, yet looks to be infected (yah, you might have been hacked)

It would be a good idea to delete the child-theme completely via FTP. Then
    run a scan of your server in your cPanel. Go to Home > Advanced >Virus Scanner and select the entire home directory.

Then re-upload a fresh copy of your child-theme.

• Wheel of Commerce

Hi!

Since DreamHost doesn't offer a cpanel, I had to request for the scan through email. It was made, and I've sent a copy of their reply to you guys, marked to Patrick in the subject field.

The thing is: I'm fairly sure these "CSS errors" I'm seeing are due to some change that either I or you guys performed -I might be absolutely wrong, though, haha. I remember seeing a folder inside my child theme that appeared there out of nowhere, its name was backup or something like that. I don't know if you guys created it, if it was "automatically created" due to some process performed in the site or what -just remembering: I've already passed my FTP login data to you guys in an email marking Tyler in the subject line. Besides, I was waiting to have some things set up to do another backup, so the last backup I have is not that recent, and I've made some modifications in my child theme since, so, if possible, I'd rather fix this mess without deleting it. Actually, the points at the header are gone, as mysteriously as they appeared, and the only error I'm seeing are the elements of the login box, that are a little bit out of place, which makes me think this whole thing might as well be caused by something I did wrong, like I said before.

So, should I run other scans? Michael suggested me the two plugins below:
    https://wordpress.org/plugins/better-wp-security/
    https://wordpress.org/plugins/wordfence/

Do these scans work like a computer scan (like AVG, for instance)? I mean, do they find and remove malware, if any is found? Because quitte honestly, the message my hosting company sent me regarding the scan (that I've sent to you guys too, like I said) is worth pretty much nothing, as it doesn't even tell me how the hell I'm supposed to remove the threats.

Thanks.

• Patrick

Hey there @Gabriel

First of all, I apologize for having forgotten to mention that I added a teeny bit of CSS to your custom CSS area to get rid of those pesky bullets in the header. Likely due to an omission in a recent update of your theme.

And yeah, that email from your host doesn't say much about removing any threats except for eyeballing your directories for suspiciously named files, or recently added/modified ones.

Even if you do find & delete harmful files that obviously should not be on your install, they often come right back again due to backdoor code hidden in some other file that should be part of your install: htaccess, wp-config, vulnerable or outdated theme & plugin files with known security issues, etc.

However, the plugins suggested by @Michael Bissett are very good ones. And yes, both of them actively scan your files for threats and can remove them. Personally, I would lean more toward WordFence as I find it a bit easier to use, and appears to have less conflicts with other plugins/themes than iThemes Security.

However, don't just rely on a plugin to secure your site; there's a lot more to it. Here's a fantabulous article on our blog to help you get going:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/keeping-wordpress-secure-the-ultimate-guide/

If you want to really dig into site security, we have a boatload of other articles on the subject on our blog too:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/tag/security/

I can confirm right now though that there is definitely a problem with the style.css file of your pro3-child theme. It does not load at all in the browser, and any attempt to download it so I can inspect it gets blocked by my antivirus (Avast) as being infected with a trojan.

So, for starters, I would recommend you delete that file completely (I hope you have a backup of it on your computer). Then install WordFence on your site, network-activate it, and run a full scan.

• Wheel of Commerce

Hi!

Just did as you said, and the only issue wordfence detected was "User "test111" with 'subscriber' access has a very easy password.", so I'm guessing the weird points at the header and the misplaced elements at the login box are in fact being caused by something other than a hack/virus -but then again, my knowledge on the matter is as good as nothing, so I might be absolutely wrong, lol.

So, how can I know if it's a virus/hack or not? Btw, I've deleted the style.css like you said; should I upload my last backup version of it, or not just yet?

Thanks.

• Michelle Shull

Hey Gabriel!

How well do you know your site via FTP? Have you looked for any additional folders or files that weren't part of your install before? Checking the dates files/directories were modified may or may not help, that can be tricked.

Once you've established that the only files and folders on your host are the files and folders you want to be there, it should be okay to re-upload your backup.

Now, once this is all done, you need to do some security work on your own.

1. Change all passwords, including FTP, cpanel, and WP admin. Do not use the same password each time, and use strong passwords. No real words, mix of capital and lowercase letters, toss in some symbols here and there. Ideally, each password should ONLY be used for it's assigned job, so don't reuse those passwords elsewhere.
    2. Check the permissions on all your server directories, and make sure you're using the maximum level of protection: http://codex.wordpress.org/Hardening_WordPress
    3. Follow the other steps in that Hardening WordPress codex entry.

After all this (I know, thanks for the to do list, Michelle) you should be not only hack-free, but also hack-proof in the future.

Take care!

• Wheel of Commerce

Hi!

I know the files on my child theme only, and like I said, I removed a folder that appeared there out of the blue (it was called backup or something like that, not sure if one of you guys didn't put it there). I don't know all the files on my installation, as I think that would be impossible to remember, haha.

Even considering that wordfence didn't detect anything other than that user with a weak password, do you guys think the two "CSS errors" I mentioned were caused by a hack/virus? I mean, all of my passwords are different (FTP, wp admin, all the services I use, etc.) and they all use a combination of many characters -they are not real words either. All of this makes me think that these two banal issues were most likely caused by something other than a hack/virus.

I'll go through all of the security measures you and Patrick told me about, but I just want to know if I can uploaded to my child theme the style.css I have as backup -Patrick told me to delete the style.css that was there, so right now there's none. So, I want to know if I can get back to do things normally, or if, even considering that wordfence didn't detect anything, I should consider this was caused by a hack/virus and only get back to my normal activities after performing the procedures Patrick and you mentioned.

Thanks.

• Michelle Shull

Hey Gabriel!

We'll be able to tell for sure when you upload your backup, if the error comes back. I'm thinking you're probably safe now, and if you've changed all your pws, there's no way for a former nefarious type to come back in, as long as everything is clean.

You should be okay to upload now. : )

Let us know how it goes, if we see the glitch without the error, we'll know that the glitch isn't from a hack. I can take a look today, but I'd also like @Patrick to give it a go, since he's the one who found the issue. He's off on weekends, but he'll be here bright and early tomorrow.

Let us know when you're set! Thanks, Gabriel!

• Wheel of Commerce

Ok, I've changed the pws I use to access my hosting panel (DreamHost), FTP and wp admin. Should I reupload just style.css, like Patrick said, or the whole wheelofcommerce folder? Btw, I have other sites at that install (you can see it right after logging in through FTP); I should be worried about them, right? I mean, they're from domains I bought a long time ago, I don't even use them, if you access them now you'll probably see one of those GoDaddy ads or something like that.

Something I forgot to mention: the issues were gone as soon as I removed the style.css that was in my child theme -though, of course, a lot of things changed in the site due to deleting that file. Now that I've uploaded the style.css I had in my backup, the "CSS errors that were being displayed before are all gone, so I'm fairly sure everything is fine.

Thanks.

• Patrick

Hey there @Gabriel

I just came across this thread again and see that you're still struggling with the footer text issue.

Sorry for not catching on earlier, but it's actually very simple to fix. :slight_smile:

What you need to do is replace the function called in the Pro3 theme's footer.php file (function in core.php) with a custom one in your child-theme to output what you want.

To do so, first copy the footer.php file from the parent to the child. Then, on line 16 in your child-theme footer.php, change this:
    <?php mpt_load_footer_text(); ?>

...to this:
    <?php custom_mpt_load_footer_text(); ?>

That removes the call to the default function in the Pro3 parent, and creates a call to a custom function you need to add. To do that, add this to your child-theme's functions.php file:

//custom load footer text
    	function custom_mpt_load_footer_text() {
    		$customfooter = get_option('mpt_cus_footer');
    		$custom = wp_kses( $customfooter, array(
    					'a' => array(
    						'href' => array(),
    						'title' => array()
    						),
    					'br' => array(),
    					'em' => array(),
    					'strong' => array()
    					) );
    		$date = date("Y");
    		switch_to_blog(1);
    		$siteurl = esc_attr(get_bloginfo('url'));
    		$sitename = esc_attr(get_bloginfo('name'));
    			if(!empty($custom)) {
    				echo apply_filters( 'func_custom_mpt_load_footer_text' , '<p>'.$custom.'</p>' );
    			 } else {
    				echo apply_filters( 'func_custom_mpt_load_footer_text' , '<p>'. __( 'Copyright ©' , 'pro' ) .$date.' <a href="'.$siteurl.'"> '.$sitename.' </a></p>' );

}
    	}

The custom code I provided above removes mention of MarketPressThemes, and links the Main site name to the main site homepage. That's thanks to the magic of switch_to_blog(1); and the addition of a $siteurl variable.

You can see it working on one of my test sites here:
    http://sub5.reallywantthis.com/

• Patrick

@Gabriel

It just came to me that perhaps you want your custom copyright & link back to the main site to appear even if the subsite admin adds their own stuff in the theme options.

If that is the case, replace this:
    echo apply_filters( 'func_custom_mpt_load_footer_text' , '<p>'.$custom.'</p>' );

...with this in the code I provided above:
    echo apply_filters( 'func_custom_mpt_load_footer_text' , '<p>'.$custom.'</p><p class="alignright">'. __( 'Copyright &copy;' , 'pro' ) .$date.' <a href="'.$siteurl.'"> '.$sitename.' </a></p>' );

That will allow subsite admins to add their own custom footer text/links, but you'll still have your stuff in there too. :slight_smile:

I've amended my demo to reflect that, so you can see it working.

• Wheel of Commerce

Hi! Thanks for answering. :slight_smile:

-That little "c symbol" for copyright isn't showing at firefox or IE -haven't checked for chrome, but I'm presuming it isn't being displayed there too.

-Will the year there change automatically, or do I have to change it manually? If it has to be changed manually, any way it can get done automatically?

-After that modification, an issue that was already solved returned: a scroll bar that overlays the shopping car icon at the right top; it's weird, but this only happens when the user goes to a "page not found", like http://www.wheelofcommerce.com/username.

Support access is active and I've sent my updated FTP login data to you guys already, it has Jose's name in the subject field -it was sent at 17/11, -3 UTC.

Other than that, everything regarding this matter has been fixed by your code, so thank you very much, again. :slight_smile:

• Michelle Shull

Hey Gabriel!

1. It rendered, you'll need to replace the symbol in Patrick's code above with the ASCII (It won't let me copy it here, go to: http://www.ascii.cl/htmlcodes.htm and I put it in a screenshot, too.

2. Nope, you'll need to do that manually. I set google alerts to remind me for my sites.

3. Can you point me to a thread where this returning problem was solved originally? Thanks!

Hope this helps!

• Wheel of Commerce

Hi!

1-The scroll bar is overlaying the shopping car -not sure if that's happening in all browsers though; this has been fixed before by one of you guys, but now it's back for some reason.

2-When an user went to http://www.wheelofcommerce.com/members/username/stores/, he/she used to see a "Manage Store" button at the left side of that Visit Store button. Like with the previous issue, this button was created by one of you guys and now is gone for some reason. This button redirected to http://www.wheelofcommerce.com/storename/store-admin, and it had the same design of the Visit Store one. Not sure if it's worth mentioning, but in any case: I'll most likely change the first permalink structure to /username/store, instead of having the /members in the beggining -I know that's a bp thing, so I'm not sure if it's ok to change it or not.

Btw, I've recently had to reupload my style.css from my last backup (that wasn't very recent because I was waiting to fix some major issues to do my next one), so this is most likely the cause of the issues described above, even though many CSS changes I've made after my last backup weren't altered -I guess they were all made through the panel of that Simple CSS plugin instead of directly in the style.css.

Just remembering: support access is active and I've sent my updated FTP login data to you guys already, it has Jose's name in the subject field -it was sent at 17/11, -3 UTC.

Thanks again. :slight_smile:

• Wheel of Commerce

Hi!

Regarding the issue with the scroll bar, I'm not seeing it anymore, no idea why.

About the Manage Store button, below is the thread in which this was solved -the link redirects to a post that shows the modifications that inserted the button. I checked and those 2 lines of code are at my Simple CSS panel as well as the plugin can be seen through FTP at /plugins -I don't see it at my plugins list, but then again I didn't see it before and it was working.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/button-to-redirect-users-to-the-marketpress-frontend-page-store-admin-page#post-756098

Thanks.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.