Firstly – I had a support ticket going with Tom Eagle but

Firstly – I had a support ticket going with Tom Eagle but now when I go to the thread I am asked to become a member even though I am a member – I paid for a full year last week.

Second – Re my first ticket – I can download your plugins to my pc and upload them but I cannot download direct from my dashboard – Can you please resolve this and the membership issue with support?

Thanks

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hiya,

Tanks for your post.

Firstly – I had a support ticket going with Tom Eagle but now when I go to the thread I am asked to become a member even though I am a member – I paid for a full year last week.

Can you please give me a link to that thread ?

I can download your plugins to my pc and upload them but I cannot download direct from my dashboard – Can you please resolve this and the membership issue with support?

That seems like some issue with the username to me, I might need you to contact the billing team as well, but if you could please give me a link to that old thread with Tom, I will be in a better condition to understand things.

Waiting for your response.

Cheers, PC

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hiya,

I have responded to your email.

You will need to be logged in to the website in order to reply on that post or any post.

Please clear your browser cookies, login to the site and access the old post and you will be able to respond.

I am around in case there is any issue.

Cheers, PC

• Shawn
    • The Crimson Coder

Another common issue with web-based installers like this is that the role of the web process (usually httpd) is running in an account that doesn’t have the same rights as your FTP account. Contact your host, or ensure that the web process is using the same account as your FTP. If not, change the ‘plugins’ folder rights to that username and see if that fixes it.

• markmc123
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

> Thannks – I disabled all the plugins in network and site and was able to download the plugins that I wanted – Simple site map plug in caused a fatal error

I have deleted all of your plugins just loaded and now site will not load properly at all

Is there a way to fix this?

• Shawn
    • The Crimson Coder

Do your logs indicate what exactly is causing the site not to load? And when you say “not load properly” do you mean it isn’t loading, it doesn’t look right or something else? For example, if you delete MultiDB and you were using it – the entire network will pretty much stop working.

• Shawn
    • The Crimson Coder

It finally responded. Looks like you’re using a caching plugin (W3TC). Did you disable this plugin, remove the wp_cache declaration from wp_config and purge the cache? If not, do so now. You might need to reinstall it.

• Shawn
    • The Crimson Coder

Open wp_congig and remove the line that includes the text “WP_CACHE”

Also open the .htaccess file and remove all the stuff added **by W3TC**. This is a little more difficult, since it’s not static – it changes based on the settings and options applied. As a rule, unless you edited the .htaccess file yourself, you should keep only the stuff between “# begin wordpress” and “# end wordpress”, inclusive.

• Shawn
    • The Crimson Coder

I have to head to bed – big day tomorrow. But I’d be happy to help you in about 12-13 hours.

Are you 100% positive that you were able to save the .htaccess file with your changes? Some clients don’t like preserving the “dot” prefix on files, so they actually upload with a new name, or with a new extension. It’s absolutely essential that the file is named “.htaccess”. Depending on your editor, you may need to use “save as” then wrap the filename in quotes to ensure that the dot-naming is preserved.

The site is still pushing a cached copy – so this isn’t a WPMUDEV issue – but rather related to W3TC. Are you 100% sure that you removed the WP_CACHE line from your wp-config, too?

• markmc123
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Thanks and sleep well and enjoy your day tomorrow

If you can recommend a way to save all posts on the site I can then just kill every thing and spend a couple of days re building it as current posts have just been added to Googles search. It would be easier just to down load and them upload your plugins / themes as I have just killed a day just trying to get these from the wpdev dashboard when I could have been adding content and getting some viral stuff going

Thnaks

• Shawn
    • The Crimson Coder

The post content and other data is stored in the database. Only the uploads MIGHT be lost if you were to reinstall wordpress. When performing a complete re-load & re-install, keep “/wp-content/uploads” and remove everything else. Re-upload WP, recreate wp-config (don’t use the existing one) and connect it to your existing database. It should just work. You’ll need to add your themes and plugins and all that again, but all of the “content” will be preserved as long as you keep the database and the uploads folder. (Unless you’ve got a third-party plugin that refuses to use the uploads folder as it is intended.) If in doubt you can keep the entire wp-content folder, but due to your caching-related issues with W3TC, removing the cache folder, advanced-cache.php file and a few others in there is the only safe way to go back to zero as it were.

It looks like the site is back up now, congratulations. :slight_smile:

Most hosts provide great support these days for WP, but I would be biased to suggest any in particular, as I run a hosting business myself. Also, I am NOT a WPMUDEV staff person — just another happy customer trying to make it to 1000 points before my renewal next month.

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

The most common cause is described by Aaron on the post here : https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/wpmudev-updates-plugin-wont-allow-sign-in#post-313539

Can you please try that out as well ?

by the way – can you please recommend the best web host scenario for wp multi site along with your dash / plug ins / themes to thrive in?

I would not recommend any specific however I would make sure that the hosting is optimized for WordPress and the php memory is good else when the number of plugins grow, the memory issue will start to occur.

Cheers, PC

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.