Fix Needed: Homepage Slider Not Working & Admin Header Broken

Hi,

I have a bug somewhere in my site and I would like help if possible. I am not a developer (not even close) so I wouldn't know where to start. When I log into /wp-admin my homepage slider does not work. When I log out, the homepage slider works fine.

In addition, when I am logged in, the WP header bar does not show up on the top of the screen, but rather is formatted in text on the side and bottom of the pages.

Attached is a screen shot of the 2 issues
http://imgur.com/HjP3klw,a5NRZ8W

Can you please help?
Thank you!

• Alexander
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi @Chris,

Sure, we can look into this. When logged in, can you check the javascript console for errors? In Chrome go to "View -> Developer -> Javascript Console" and in Firefox you can go to "Tools -> Web Developer -> Console"

Let me know what you find out.

Best regards,

• Chris
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

* i just cleared my cache and the dev console now says:

event.returnValue is deprecated. Please use the standard event.preventDefault() instead. load-scripts.php?c=0&load%5B%5D=jquery-core,jquery-migrate,farbtastic,utils,jquery-ui-core,jquery-u…:4

• Alexander
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi @Chris,

That's just a warning, and shouldn't be affecting this at all. Next we can check for a PHP error.

Can you try enabling WP_DEBUG mode and debug logging? To do this, just go to wp-config.php include this:

define('WP_DEBUG',true);
    define('WP_DEBUG_LOG',true);

You might already have a line for WP_DEBUG, so just make sure it's set to true. This will create a log file under wp-content/debug.log with detailed information.

If you'd like to avoid end users seeing error messages, you can include this as well:

@ini_set('display_errors',0);
    define('WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false);

This will prevent errors from being displayed, but you can still find them in the log file. For information on this, checkout this wpmu.org article.

Let me know what errors if any you are getting!

Best regards,

• Alexander
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi @chris,

Just checked your site. That's not good. Looks like some of the stylesheets are missing.

I see you're using W3 Total Cache. Can you disable this for now? By disabling cacheing, we can make sure the theme itself is directly supplying the correct resources

You can also try temporarily switching to the TwentyThirteen theme to see if it loads properly.

Looks like the error log didn't come through. The forum only supports image attachments. You could use the code tags, or post externally with something like this: https://gist.github.com/

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.