Fixer Theme - Resetting, child theme, three columns

Hi.

I spent some time kicking around the demo site and found this to be a wonderful way to expedite an urgent need to revamp our hospital's website. I've got 20+ years in software and oracle database administration, but I'm still perplexed by how some of this wordpress stuff works.

Please let me know if I should split this into three tickets.

I started by installing the Fixer theme to my play area on our domain. I started editing, but realized I hadn't created a child theme first. Is there any way to "reset" the Fixer theme back to "factory?" Or does it need to be removed and re-added?

Second, is there a simple way through the dashboard to create a child theme so I don't muck up the parent? I've done a child theme via FTP before, so I can go that route if I need to.

Third, my wife really likes the three column look (two light colored columns and a main darker colored column). I'm struggling to figure out how to do that.

Total newb questions. I did search some of the manuals/documentation/forums but didn't really come up with the answers I need.

Thanks so much,
Dewey

PS: Is there a preferred browser? I tend to use firefox, but loading the editor and editing pages is very, very sluggish.

• Rupok

Hi Dewey

Hope you had a wonderful day.

Is there any way to "reset" the Fixer theme back to "factory?"

The easiest way is to actually reset all changes you made, open browser console and type in:
    Upfront.Util.reset_all()
    This will clear all upfront customizations you have in database.

is there a simple way through the dashboard to create a child theme so I don't muck up the parent?

Upfront is a very massive and powerful theme framework. With Upfront themes, you can basically drag and drop your desired HTML elements and can set any element to any position without knowing any HTML. So we had to do very complex coding for providing this feature, and as a result, all of our Upfront themes are very complex in coding architecture and don't support child theming yet. So you can't create child themes for Upfront Themes till now.

my wife really likes the three column look (two light colored columns and a main darker colored column)

In Upfront Editor, you can simply create three divs with your desired text and design side by side but I'm afraid, Upfront doesn't support creating column in a single paragraph element.

Is there a preferred browser?

There is no preferred browser for Upfront. Any modern browser will work fine with Upfront. Editing page is very heavy because it has to load lots of things in the background to give you a smooth website designing experience, so sometime it may seem to be a little bit sluggish depending on the configuration of the computer. But if you think it's too slow on your browser, please confirm. I'll investigate the issue further.

Have a nice day. Cheers!

• Dewey

Sorry about not getting back sooner. My day job went into hyper-chaos this week. Your response time was fantastic and I'm very appreciative of the information. Exactly what I was looking for.

I got into the Editor tonight and it took quite a while to load. It was also sluggish dragging/dropping/adding/deleting/etc.

My computer is somewhat old, but its a Core i7 960 Quad Core @3.2GHz with 6GB RAM and a Samsung 840 pro 120GB drive for the OS. Any ideas on what I can do to speed things up a little?

Thanks again for the awesome support.

• Dewey

I'm feeling a little dumb tonight.

I can't find a "div" to drop onto the page to create a column. Nor how to restrict the current content to a centered div... nor how to change the dang background color.
    I also can't figure out how to open a wordpress browser console to run that php/javascript/mysql

Is there a remedial version of how to use your editor? I'm baffled at the trouble I'm having. Tune a many terrabyte oracle database? No problem. Drag and drop in a well designed editor? Total challenge. :slight_smile:

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Dewey,

No joy on the console though.

If you are using Firefox this is tutorial about using its developer tools https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Tools/Web_Console/Opening_the_Web_Console

when you are in editor mode open console and at the bottom you will see two small blue arrows and prompt for inserting command. Put there

Upfront.Util.reset_all()

hit enter, reload editor and you will have fresh theme without any changes.

kind regards,
    Kasia

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.