Fixing broken beta site

"We currently have about an 8% fail rate when trying to create new sites. Until this is resolved, if a site doesn’t create for you, just wait a few minutes and try again."

I have a single hosted site that failed. I created this site with a name that I was hoping I could use and throw into production when Hosting goes live. So I'd rather not lose the foo.wpmudev.host name. I understand that's just a temporary address and that actual domains will ultimately point to that space. But for now, like most here, I'd be content to use this assigned subdomain.

1) Should we attempt to recreate with the same name and hope that it links the entry in the hub with the new actual site?
2) Should we delete the hub reference first?
3) Can we recreate a site with the same name after removing it from the hub?
4) Should we just leave the bad site for Support to clean up later?

Thanks!

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello Tony G

1) Should we attempt to recreate with the same name and hope that it links the entry in the hub with the new actual site?

You can always have the same name after deleting the previous one. So when you delete the site, check hub for reference, delete from there and you can link again.

2) Should we delete the hub reference first?

Not needed. You can keep the reference.

3) Can we recreate a site with the same name after removing it from the hub?

Yes, you can.

4) Should we just leave the bad site for Support to clean up later?

What do you mean by bad site here? If the container fails to be created, there is nothing to delete. Would you please explain a bit more?

Have a nice day!

Cheers,
    Ash

• Tony G
      • Mr. LetsFixTheWorld

I created site XYZ as xyz.wpmudev.host. The Host part wasn't created but the Hub shows XYZ. I didn't know if deleting the Hub reference would eliminate a breadcrumb that you guys wanted to follow to delete other artifacts that might be left behind. From what you've said I am assuming it's all clean and we should be able to delete the Hub reference and then just recreate the same XYZ @ xyz.wpmudev.host, and it should probably work.

For reference, I did create a XYZ2 on xyz2... and it worked fine.

Thanks for your complete responses!

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi Tony G,

On attempt to remove the site from the Hub, this error was returned. Given the situation I used the Force removal option and that worked cleanly.

Are you able to replicate this issue every time you remove the site? Or whether it only happened once. I gave a quick test in my system, and wasn't able to replicate. If you are able to replicate this again, could you please point out which all sites you tried to remove fro the Hub, so that I could bring this into the developers attention, and see whether there is any changes that's needed regarding this.

Regards,
    Nithin

• Tony G
      • Mr. LetsFixTheWorld

This would be nearly impossible to reproduce. The initial site creation failed for some transient reasons that may no longer exist after recent code changes. The removal of the reference to that failed instance may have failed for similar transient reasons and may no longer be a concern. I've just been reporting the issues as I see them. If they are no longer valid or reproducible after some number of days, I think we can just let it go, and these notes are only of value if someone else stumbles on them later. HTH

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi Tony G,

I do get you, and really appreciate your effort in reporting all the events regarding this. I was checking to see whether we could get more info regarding these, I'm bringing this into the developers attention, so that they are aware of this scenario, and see whether there is anything that needs to be done in the server side, if needed.

Have a great day ahead. :slight_smile:

Best Regards,
    Nithin

• Baldafrican
    • Made in Africa

Hey Tony G
    I get that error every time I have deleted a site (including other hosting) first and then try to remove it from the hub thereafter. I assumed it gave the error due to it not finding the site that it was supposedly connected to and have clicked the "remove this site" option with much success ...so far!

Granted it may be better long term if they could rephrase the error (if my assumption above is correct) to better explain to a newbie what is happening rather then using the technical error.

• Adam
    • Flash Drive

Hi guys, not sure if you managed to find the issue here but I'm getting the same error. When adding a site to hosting, it doesn't get created in hosting but instead just creates a record in The Hub. I delete it from the hub and get the same above error message.

Any suggestions?

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.