Flexible booking times dependent on location

Hi All,

Ok first off is this is possible I think it would be an awesome addition to Appointments+ making it just perfect for my business and others that travel such as hair dressers, photographers etc.

The idea is based on below

https://premium.wpmudev.org/jobs/appointments-customisation/

But with a slight tweak. A client would book an appointment and the zip code / post code field would be mandatory.

Next client would come along and pick their appointment and again type in their post code.

Next google (or something else) would calculate the time taken to drive between the two locations and flash up a box saying something like

"I'm sorry but the previous appointment location would mean I require 25mins to drive to your location. Would the next time slot of Xpm be ok?" This bit would be flexible dependent on how long it takes to drive from A to B.

The user could then click yes and Appointments+ blocks out the travel time and appointment. Or if the user clicks no it just asks them to select a different time.

The icing on the cake would be a hover box on the time boxes which highligted different post codes so a client could see one which was close to theirs. My regular clients could then book appointments when they know I'm in the area.

Anyhow I think the addition would be awesome if at all possible!

Thanks!

• aristath

Hello there @Kieran, I hope you're well today!

You can already add "padding" to your appointments using the instructions here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/appointment-padding-time
    This will allow you to have 30 minutes between appointments. However I'm afraid that auto-calculating drive times is beyond the scope of this plugin.. However it all depends on user demand!

I'm moving this the the feature requests section of our forums so other users can also see it and comment here. :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Ari.

• Kieran

Hi Ari,

Yes I'm aware of the padding feature the trouble is some of my appointments are only 10 min drive away where others are 30 min drive away. Some appointments I want clients to be able to book back to back as they want multiple treatments at the same location.

The padding is a nice feature I just would love it if it was possible to be flexible dependent on location.

Hope others agree.

I have another thread where I noticed you talking about setting up multiple payment gateways. Do you think this is possible. Be grateful for your opinion.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/marketpress-include-different-payment-gateways-for-different-users#post-736802

Many Thanks and keep up the good work! :slight_smile:

• Jose

Hey Kieran,

I was thinking about this feature, and have a couple of questions.

Next client would come along and pick their appointment and again type in their post code.

Next google (or something else) would calculate the time taken to drive between the two locations and flash up a box saying something like

"I'm sorry but the previous appointment location would mean I require 25mins to drive to your location. Would the next time slot of Xpm be ok?"

This might be a bit annoying for the user, since you are showing the free time slot in the calendar, the user will take the time to fulfill the form, and then you will reject the appointment.

It may be better to require the zip code prior to rendering the calendar, and then show the free time slots accordingly.

Thoughts?

• Kieran

Hi Jose,

Thanks for the comment. You know thinking about it I think it would be better to ask the user to fill in the postcode / zip first and then render the available appointments. This would be true if the client lived a distance away and the appointments were quite busy they might get the "I'm sorry due to your location would you like an appointment X mins later etc" box a few times which would be frustrating.

Few comments!

1) I know you can calculate the distance from the other thread but can we transalate this into driving times easily? Ideally yes but if not we could just have simple rules that the admin can adjust.
    For instance
    <3 miles leave a 15 min padding.
    >3<10 leave 30 min padding etc
    >50 miles reject appointment! or display a please call box!

I'd probably want this extra padding to be calculated on top of the standard padding I've already got set up. The advantage of this method is that sometimes my girlfriend cycles between appointments so we'd sometimes need longer than driving times! I think in most cases driving times would be fine though. Maybe an option for an admin to select either method?

2) Is it possible that once the user has put the post code in we can have an address lookup feature to speed up the booking process? Or do they all charge per lookup?

3) In my registration process the user actually fills in their post code it would be great to auto pull in that post code when booking an appointment. I can see other parts of my address pull in automatically. I'm hoping that in theory is an easy one

Thanks for taking a look at this I really appreciate it!!!

• Jose

Hey @Kieran,

1) I know you can calculate the distance from the other thread but can we transalate this into driving times easily?

It depends on what service you use to calculate the distance. IF you use google, I believe it returns the walk, bike, and driving times.

2) Is it possible that once the user has put the post code in we can have an address lookup feature to speed up the booking process?

Need some research. There are good chances that this is possible.

3) In my registration process the user actually fills in their post code it would be great to auto pull in that post code when booking an appointment

Yes, if registration is required, you can store the information in the DB as an additional field when the user enters the code for the first time.
    If registration is not required, you can use a cookie.

Overall, I need to clarify one thing. This is a complex feature, and therefore it is out of my scope here.
    If you need this done in the short term, then you will need to do most of the work, and I'll be glad to assist you. (I can provide partial snippets, but can't take the time to get into details).
    Otherwise, you will need to wait until this gets voted as a feature request.

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Jose

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.