Floating in-line

Hi folks,

how can i control the Floating Bar, when it is shown 'inline'. Setting the Window width makes the Floating Bar appear on the very top. I would like to make it appear on a specific Position. How can i do that...?

Kind of like it works on http://mashable.com

Many thanks in advance,
Rainer.

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hiya Rainer!

Well, the plugin settings have lots of options to move the bar around.

What you'll need to do is use a tool like Firebug to find the elements in your theme where you could possibly attach the bar.

Then you can try those different selectors in the plugin settings to see where it'll fit nicely.

If you can provide a link I could have a look with you and make some suggestions.

Cheers,
    Phil

• Rainer Kormann
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hi Phil,

i have no problem, to figure out, where to position the bar for the 'normal' Window width. But if i make the Browser-Window smaller, the bar Flips 'in-line' on a position on the very top of the Site. And i want to control that special postion. You may have a look here: http://makelfrei.de/kontakt

On a wide-screen, the bar is on the righ side in a correct position. Moves down, as you scroll. All perfect!
    But if you make you Browser-Window smaller, the bar flips at top of the Window. I would like to have the bar at - for example - between the Top-Navgation and the Content.

Do you have an idea?

Thanks in advance,
    Rainer.

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Yep, completely understand. As soon as you reduce the width of the screen the box *has* to go somewhere.

The position is essentially decided by your theme and the only way to get around that is to use the minimum widget setting in the plugin options. This will cause the box to be removed in screen resolutions that are too small to see it situated on the right hand side.

Phil

• Rainer Kormann
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hi Phil,

sure i understand, that the box has to have its place :slight_smile:
    But i would like to define the place. where it goes (when i reduce the windows width). At the moment, its just at the very top of page...

The place i would like to see the box, if window width is small: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/floating-in-line?bb_attachments=144220&bbat=6994

Any idea...?

Thanks in advance,
    Rainer.

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

I'm afraid you're going to need some custom additions to get that to appear there.

What you'll need to do is actually force the plugin to display itself in that position, which will involve editing your theme and the plugin.

That's a bit more than I can really go into here though...

• ThePath
    • The Bug Hunter

Yeh Id be interested in this too. I haver a site just now where instead of the sharebox jumping to the top o the post when the screen is reduced Id like it to jump to the bottom.

Also is there away to call the sharebox directly from the code i.e. a function call or shortcode. Id like to use the sharebox statically in parts of a site too, say at the top of a sidebar etc. How can this be achieved?

Ta

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya @ThePath,

The floating social plugin was really designed specifically to 'float' on the page. I'm afraid having it static isn't on the agenda at the moment. There's several other plugins out there to provide static social links though :wink:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.