Floating Social not appearing

Hi – I just installed Floating Social, checked all the options and saved (included Try to resolve front page conflicts “yes”:wink: but the Floating bar is not showing up. (cleared cache, tried different browsers, etc) Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

http://nicolehoughdesigns.com

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings nphough,

Sorry to hear that you are having trouble with the Floating Social plugin.

After reviewing absolutely beautiful site it is almost certain that one of the Pop Up’s or the social footer are interfering with the Floating Social from appearing.

The next step would be to go through the normal trouble shooting protocol of de-activating all plugins and seeing if it then works, and if it does then re-activate each plugin testing afterward until you hit the one causing the conflict and it is possible there could be more then one but one at a time to get it all sorted out.

Please advise if you can find the possibly conflicting plugin by the trouble shooting procedure mentioned above and let me know of your results.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Member!

Cheers, Joe

• coburnenterprises
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hi there – I’m having troubles as well. It is not the plugins fault I’m sure because I have had troubles with others of the same type – I’m just reaching out to this forum because I need another set of eyes. I have tried all of the usual trouble shooting – disabled all plugins except floating social, removed the js I have for the “call me” button in the footer etc etc. I am sure it’s theme related because I’m having similar troubles on another site. Would really appreciate any insights! the site I have this plugin installed on is http://ducktaleskitchen.com – it shows on the home page but that is about it. I am having the same issue with the “custom tag” widget I am using. Can anyone identify the conflict?

Something else I just thought of – all of these pages are reached via custom menu or hard coded links – could this be the problem?

Thanks!!!

Harmony

• coburnenterprises

Hello again, I went to one of my theme forums and one reader made this observation/suggestion – would anyone know what php to add to my header to try this out?

I noticed that there is a difference in called javascripts and css between the home and other pages.

The sharebox is one of those scripts. I was wondering how you are adding it to the home page. Maybe try adding it to the header.php head area manually.

• Christopher Price
    • The Incredible Code Injector

@bettereverything Floating social is working for me on a bunch of themes, so I looked at the html source to see what’s there. “share-box” is at the top of the relevant code, which I do not see in your source. Not an answer, exactly, but I thinks it’s safe to say it’s not merely a display issue.

But the salmon sounds delicious.

• coburnenterprises

FYI – I tried switching themes and it still didn’t work… I feel like I’m in the twilight zone or something. Also, this issue is not unique to the floating social bar – it’s any social sharing tool I try to use as well as the configurable tag cloud tool. It’s like my theme is not allowing additional js to be written on any page except the home page but I am not using a different page template or anything… weird eh?

• Christopher Price
    • The Incredible Code Injector

With several similar plugins having issues, you might want to ask your host if they have any ideas. Maybe your not running required versions of php or something, or they are using some heavy-handed security settings.

If you are using a theme from wpmudev, I’d focus my troubleshooting elsewhere. Every now and then we find an incompatibility with a new plugin, but they squash those pretty quick. Also, I can’t imagine hard-coded links being an issue as long as the page is being generated by wordpress.

Sometimes floating social gets weird on themes with unusual page widths, but you’d still see it in the code. Still sounds like a conflict to me though. When you disabled the other plugins, did you do it with those in the mu-plugins folder too?

• nphough
    • Flash Drive

Hi Christopher, I had forgotten to thank you for your quick response and for your complements on the site :slight_smile: – actually you were right there was a conflict with my file upload plugin. It worked after I disabled that, but then I was not able to get the link to Pinterest to work. I did end up going back to Wibiya mainly for the style of it. Doesn’t sound like my solution will necessarily help others…..

• coburnenterprises

Hey all, thought I should update… as it turns out my problem was that I was “in the twilight zone”. I had moved my site from a sub directory to the root directory. Though I thought I’d taken all the necessary steps, somewhere along the way I did not get all of my urls updated properly.

I did a couple of things. First, I removed my old .htacces file “just in case” and then re-did my permalinks. Then, I installed this plugin: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/velvet-blues-update-urls/ and followed the instructions.This did it! My final step was to DONATE to that plugin developer :smiley:.

Life is good again. Now I can get to the “styling part” (which means I may come back to this thread).

Thanks for all.

Harmony

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Everyone,

Well it appears that we have found quite a few reasons why the Floating Social Bar was causing a problem for folks here.

@nphough the reason why Pinterest appears to not be working is because it requires a featured image to be placed in a post that Pinterest is to be displayed on.

Please see the following post for getting Pinterest to work as expected straight from the lead developer:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/pinterest-featured-image-support#post-196050

@harmony happy to hear that you finally got this sorted out :slight_smile: The fact of having moved the site from sub to root made this a nightmare to figure out what is going on.

@christopher Price some rep points for you sir for kindly trying to help other members through issues.

Thank you all for being WPMU Dev Members!

Cheers, Joe

• JD
    • Flash Drive

Thought it may be helpful to let people know, I thought my floating social plugin wasn’t working when first installed. Then after a while realised that it was in fact working, but was simply positioned off the page. This was easily fixed with the top and horizontal offset settings.

This may seem an obvious one but I just didn’t think of it first up.

Hope this helps others.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.