Floating Social Plugin & HTTPS Don't Play Nice

Hello,

I appear to have found an issue with Floating Social.

I have 100% HTTPS across my site. Activating plugin hangs site (in Chrome at least). Had to nuke cookies to get back in to nuke plugin.

Not cool..... :slight_frown:

Ron

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Ron,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

Before I proceed with testing I would like to make sure that I correctly understand the issue. You mentioned that enabling the plugin hangs the site at least in Chrome: have you had a chance to test it with other Chrome instances (e.g. on other computer) and with other browsers? Is the site available only via HTTPS or via HTTP as well and is the SSL installed "locally on the server" or provided by external provider such as CDN implemented (e.g. CloudFlare)?

Did you (if not, could you please) try enabling the plugin with default theme (Twenty Sixteen or Twenty Fifteen) and other plugins disabled?

I'll run tests on my own but I'd like to get as much about what happened on your site and about accompanying conditions as possible first :slight_smile:

Please advise!

Best regards,
    Adam

• Comfort King

I've only tested it on my default setup of Chrome. Haven't tried any other browsers/computers yet.

HTTPS forced through WP Admin using Let's Encrypt.

To be honest, this is a really busy AdWords landing page site that I'm not willing to mess with right now. I use Divi so there's no easy way to switch themes without breaking the site completely.

I thought it might be a known issue.

Turns out I can't install any other of your plugins either for some reason. I have what I need for now. I'll have to do some late night testing myself first.

Thanks.

• Dimitris

Hey there Ron Seigel,

hope you're doing good and don't mind me chiming in here! :slight_smile:

I've only tested it on my default setup of Chrome. Haven't tried any other browsers/computers yet.
    HTTPS forced through WP Admin using Let's Encrypt.

I just tested Floating Social plugin in a test site with default TwentySixteen theme and an active Let's Encrypt certificate and I wasn't able to replicate any "frozen" states or any kind of unresponsiveness.

The only thing noticed is that StumbleUpon integration is throwing some mixed-content errors as is trying to connect with the insecure connection at http://cdn.stumble-upon.com/. This shouldn't cause any issues though, but if you were using StumbleUpon buttons, you may try to leave these out and re-test the plugin.

To be honest, this is a really busy AdWords landing page site that I'm not willing to mess with right now. I use Divi so there's no easy way to switch themes without breaking the site completely.
    I thought it might be a known issue.

A theme/plugin conflict test as my colleague Adam proposed should be your first test here.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/using-wpmu-dev/getting-support/
    You may have to create a staging environment for this, meaning an exact copy of the website to another location in the same server. Doing so, you will be able to have a testing place which will respond the same way the production environment does, as they will reside in the same server.

Turns out I can't install any other of your plugins either for some reason.

Could you please create a new thread about this?
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/#question
    We tend to keep threads related to specific member and issue, so it could be easier for us to handle/follow-up and for other members to further use this thread in the future.

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.